Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Grub Help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jurasiprize
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Grub Help Reply with quote

Sup

Im new to Linux, i was saved from installing Debian...So after much delibertation a some advice from a mate i decided to intall Gentoo. For 4 days now though i have had some problems, i had them sorted out with some help from my friend but now im stuck and he is busy. And yes i have a problem with f*cking grub. I have googled my errors trying to find some help but nothing. I had problems with Grub when i was intalling Debian aswell, and now after having problems with Gurb installing gentoo which im so amped to get up i am fed up and would like to install Lilo. Now as i said im new to Linux im not stupid but i will need some help as im still learning....I am a Macintosh user, so yes this is all very new to me and very diffrent. What i want to do is either reinstall Grub or delete grub and install Lilo.

I have never been so pissed off in my life, just problem after problem with Grub. Anyway if there is anyone here that can lead me in the right direction it would be soo helpful. I had some documentation on how to Chroot but f*cking lost it, so yes im really stuck at the moment. Maybe a tut on how to chroot - delete grub - install lilo or a tut on how to chroot - delete grub - reinstall grub. Im running AMD64 version of gentoo. If any of you guru's can help me i would be soo thankful....even if it mean some cash over paypal. I just want to get gentoo running.....is it so much to ask lol haha....Im starting to think it's a conspiracy against me and linux hates me haha.

Anyway Thanks and i hope i can grab some help. I dont normally join forums and drain people for there knowledge, this is why im more then happy to paypal some cash to someone who can help me out. If you want just MSN me jurasiprize@hotmail.com

Regards - Jurasiprize
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throughout that entire (longwinded) post, you never bothered to mention the error messages you are getting. You will need to do so if you want help. :)

The documentation you mentioned is linked from the main gentoo website.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give us some more details about the GRUB problem. Usually it is something simple.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/grub-error-guide.xml

Edit: Damn you yabbadabbadont! :lol:

Last edited by Headrush on Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total
jurasiprize
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lastest error well....i dont know the name i call it "The Repeat" lol hahha this is what im getting:

GRUB Loading stage1.5
GRUB Loading stage1.5
GRUB Loading stage1.5
GRUB Loading stage1.5
GRUB Loading stage1.5
GRUB Loading stage1.5

And it just repeats...........The error before this happend was "Error 15" and then error before that was in the file system which a friend of mine helped me out with.
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headrush wrote:
Edit: Damn you yabbadabbadont! :lol:

:lol: Shoe's on the other foot tonight... :P
How do you like the new avatar? It's my tribute to women with nice hooters and melons... ;)

EDIT: How about I actually try to help. Use the instructions for chrooting in the documentation I linked to. Then please post the output of "fdisk -l", the contents of grub.conf and fstab, and the output of "ls -l" when run in your boot directory.
jurasiprize
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the thing though, im so fed up with trouble shooting and trying to fix the problems. I just want to use gentoo!! i just want to delete grub because im fed up with the bullsh1t is gives me and the trouble shooting and fixing i have to do with it. I went through that documentation and i still cant chroot. I have installed gentoo already i jsut cant boot it because of Grub...Why cant we delete Grub and install Lilo ? What the diffrence, from what i have read Lilo is better then grub, is this right ?
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not mean this as rude, but there are some things which you seem to not quite grasp the purpose of. I shall point them out in the course of my response.

jurasiprize wrote:
Maybe a tut on how to chroot - delete grub - install lilo or a tut on how to chroot - delete grub - reinstall grub.

From the Gentoo Handbook, Installing the Gentoo Base System (which covers setting up a chroot) and Configuring the Bootloader.

jurasiprize wrote:
If any of you guru's can help me i would be soo thankful....even if it mean some cash over paypal. I just want to get gentoo running.....is it so much to ask lol haha....Im starting to think it's a conspiracy against me and linux hates me haha.

This is a free support forum, meaning the no remuneration is expected, much less required. Also as per the signature of /carlito:
Quote:
....linux IS user friendly, it's just picky about its friends....

jurasiprize wrote:
Anyway Thanks and i hope i can grab some help. I dont normally join forums and drain people for there knowledge, this is why im more then happy to paypal some cash to someone who can help me out. If you want just MSN me jurasiprize@hotmail.com

The purpose of these forums is to provide help. Knowledge is not lost when it is copied. A major part of the reason for these forums is to provide a repository which can be searched at a later time, solving a problem outside of that repository denies those who in the future encounter the same problem a solution readily found by searching.

jurasiprize wrote:
This is the thing though, im so fed up with trouble shooting and trying to fix the problems. I just want to use gentoo!! i just want to delete grub because im fed up with the bullsh1t is gives me and the trouble shooting and fixing i have to do with it. I went through that documentation and i still cant chroot. I have installed gentoo already i jsut cant boot it because of Grub.

And please do be civil.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jurasiprize wrote:
This is the thing though, im so fed up with trouble shooting and trying to fix the problems. I just want to use gentoo!! i just want to delete grub because im fed up with the bullsh1t is gives me and the trouble shooting and fixing i have to do with it. I went through that documentation and i still cant chroot. I have installed gentoo already i jsut cant boot it because of Grub...Why cant we delete Grub and install Lilo ? What the diffrence, from what i have read Lilo is better then grub, is this right ?

I would disagree that the LILO is better than GRUB, but if you want to use LILO, just install it over GRUB.

Sounds like PEBCAC errors.

Last edited by Headrush on Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:49 am; edited 2 times in total
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were able to install gentoo, then following the chrooting instructions correctly should get you into your installed system. Once there, follow the instructions in the manual for installing lilo. You don't need to remove grub (you can later) as lilo will replace the grub MBR with its own.

Edit: Wow! I guess we three make up a "Triple Threat". Maybe we should form a ball team. :lol:
jurasiprize
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it dont work.....I cant chroot. And dont be such as asshole desultory, i never said anything bad i was just being nice, there was no need for that shit.

I read the documentation there and like i said before i cant chroot
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jurasiprize wrote:
it dont work.....I cant chroot. And dont be such as asshole desultory, i never said anything bad i was just being nice, there was no need for that shit.

I read the documentation there and like i said before i cant chroot

desultory didn't say anything bad, ease up.

You have to give us more than "I can't chroot" to be any help to you. Was there an error message, what happened when you issued the command. Did you mount the partitions first?
jurasiprize
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=6#doc_chap1

Did what the handbook said and i got:

Mount: mount point /mnt/gentoo/proc does not exist

desultory, He tried to basically state the rules to me, im not a idiot and dont expect to be treated like one. I was being nice i mean i dont like to drain people from the knowledge, Time is money to to me. There was no need for him to be a "hero" and state it's a free help forum....well im not that sort of guy to just join a forum use people for help and leve never coming back to it hence is why i stated if need be i wouldnt care if a user wanted some cash for there time and help. Not only that he sat there and took the time to quote my posts just a bit pethetic i thought.

Last edited by jurasiprize on Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then why didn't you mount /proc into the chroot before chrooting?

So obviously he was right in that you didn't follow the instructions. I think you are reading way too much into desultory's post.
jurasiprize
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i gave you a example, and i did mount /proc see my problem here
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a valid install, and you mounted your root partition as instructed at /mnt/gentoo, then /mnt/gentoo/proc should be there. If it isn't, something very strange is going on and perhaps you should consider reinstalling using the manual stage3 installation method spelled out in the handbook.

If time is money to you, the perhaps you should consider running one of the many fine binary linux distributions like Ubuntu/Kubunu/Xubuntu/SuSE...

EDIT: Headrush, per your previous PM, I think you were right.
jurasiprize
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could chroot a day ago......Strange ? is there another way to chroot ? Yes time is money, look cant you see i was just being nice ?
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jurasiprize wrote:
I could chroot a day ago......Strange ? is there another way to chroot ? Yes time is money, look cant you see i was just being nice ?

Calling people an ass isn't usually considered being nice.

What is the output of ls -l /mnt/gentoo/proc after you mount the partitions?
And no there is no other way to chroot.
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the instructions in the installation manual don't work, you need to either reinstall, or use a different version of Linux. Sorry.
jurasiprize
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok then explain to me why 1 day ago i could chroot and now i cant ? Also use a diffrent version of linux ? or reinstall ? all i had was a problem with Grub. And all i did ask was a tut in which i now have thanks. There was no need for desultory to basically lecture me.

and Headrush, nevermind i will ask my mate when he gets time, he is a smart one with linux he helped me chroot last time.
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry we weren't able to help. It sounds like it might be a HUB error, but there really isn't any way to tell remotely. If your friend is able to fix it for you, have him post back here with the solution.
jurasiprize
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed i will
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry we couldn't help, but like I said before you ask questions without give us enough details.

We are smart people too, but we're not mind readers. :wink:

P.S. No one can answer the question why the change in chroot from one day to the next without more information.
The only way would be guessing and that is generally wasting time and/or getting lucky.

Edit: I couldn't help myself yabbadabbadont. I think I might have some kind of forum affliction. ;)
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jurasiprize wrote:
Did what the handbook said and i got:

Mount: mount point /mnt/gentoo/proc does not exist

To go one level up from the question Headrush posed, what is the output of ls -l /mnt/gentoo?

jurasiprize wrote:
desultory, He tried to basically state the rules to me

Because you were ignoring them.
jurasiprize wrote:
im not a idiot and dont expect to be treated like one.

Trust me, if I were treating you like an idiot it would be quite unambiguous.
jurasiprize wrote:
I was being nice i mean i dont like to drain people from the knowledge, Time is money to to me.

Unless you wipe the minds of those who help you, there is no drain here.
jurasiprize wrote:
There was no need for him to be a "hero" and state it's a free help forum.

No heroism involved, just keep your money. If money were to be the driving factor in the forums, then those who could not pay would be effectively excluded.
jurasiprize wrote:
...well im not that sort of guy to just join a forum use people for help and leve never coming back to it hence is why i stated if need be i wouldnt care if a user wanted some cash for there time and help.

Good for you.
jurasiprize wrote:
Not only that he sat there and took the time to quote my posts just a bit pethetic i thought.

Yes, truely pathetic.

jurasiprize wrote:
Ok then explain to me why 1 day ago i could chroot and now i cant ?

You did something wrong, lacking further data we are unable to determine exactly what.
jurasiprize wrote:
Also use a diffrent version of linux ? or reinstall ? all i had was a problem with Grub.

That depends on exactly what was done.
jurasiprize wrote:
There was no need for desultory to basically lecture me.

No lecture, just responses.
jurasiprize
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking wanker !!!

Wait and watch dickhead......Soon you will realise what you just did was stupid. You dont know who your dealing with, very silly thing to do. YIDD ARMMY
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jurasiprize wrote:
Fucking wanker !!!

Wait and watch dickhead......Soon you will realise what you just did was stupid. You dont know who your dealing with, very silly thing to do. YIDD ARMMY

Sorry, but a post like that leaves no other choice than banning your account. Guidelines.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: