Installing on AMD K6-2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonyr1988
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Installing on AMD K6-2 Reply with quote

I have an AMD K6-2 in my computer, and I'm stuck on which stage to install.

The only one with stage3 is for i686, and I know that's not right. There's an x86 stage1 tarball, but the documentation says that stage1 isn't supported anymore (I'm a huge n00b, so I probably wouldn't work well for unsupported ones).

But...the 2006.0 folder has a stage3 for i586. Should I use that one?

I've read some forums on this, and I've heard both answers. I'm not sure which one to do, and I'd hate to go through it all and find out I got the wrong one.

So...new stage1 x86 or old stage3 i586?

P.S. I downloaded the minimal x86 ISO
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyr1988,

Welcome to Gentoo.

You need the x86 (not the i686) minimal CD and the x86 stage 1 tarball.
Be sure to get files dated Sep-2006, the Aug-2006 files won't work on a k6-2

Stage 1 installs are more actively discouraged than unsupported. For some architectures, including k6-2, its all there is.
You will need to be patient and allow you PC to run overnight, well several nights actually. So whilr the install wants a lot of CPU time, not much of yours is requited.

The instructions for a stage 1 install have been relegated to the FAQ but they were still available last time I looked
My server is a k6-2, so I have done the install you are about to start on quite recently

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
tonyr1988
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply.

Since I've gotta let it run a loooooong time, I wanna make sure that everything's fine. When running fdisk on my hdd, I've got three partitions (running Gentoo on my entire second hard disk). Can you make verify that I did it all correctly?

My /dev/hdb1 is bootable with a start at 1 and end at 5. It's got 40131 blocks.
My /dev/hdb2 isn't bootable. It starts at 6 and ends at 68. It's got 506047+ blocks (and is an 82 Id)
My /dev/hdb3 isn't bootable. It starts at 69 and ends at 19929. It's got 159533482+ blocks.

The start / end fields don't match up with the install docs, even though I did everything exactly as it said. (I used fdisk) Is that a problem?
Also, I've heard that the + signs at the end of the # of blocks can pose a problem. Having the plus signs on my swap and root partitions - will that cause a problem?

Thanks for the help,
Tony R.
tonyr1988
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also seen some different options for CFLAGS. What should I use? Should I have -Os or -O2?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyr1988,

That will all be fine. The + at the end of the fdisk entry means that the partition is not the exact size you asked for and fdiak has round it off to be an exact number of cylinders. With the advent of Logical Block Addressing, drives no longer have a real fixed geometry and cylenders are a myth.

-O2 or -Os (thats letter O not numeral 0) The choice is yours. -O2 does most of the optimisations that don't make the code get bigger. -Os tries to keep the code small, so it will take up less room on disk and load faster.
None of these are hard and fast things - they are generalisations. Not every program will respond the same way.
I use -O3 on my desktops and -Os on my laptop

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
tonyr1988
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get to chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash, it's giving me the "Illegal instruction" error. I've done the recommendations on other threads, with no luck. I did everything according to the documentation (several times) and used the correct ISO and release stage.

Could using a stage1 cause anything like this?

EDIT: I saw a recommendation to use the stage3 i586 instead of the stage1 x86. IIRC, it was a fairly old topic, but I went ahead and tried it anyway. I'm restarting everything (formatting my 150GB partition now...) and I'll try the 2006.0 stage3 i586 and see if it works.

EDIT2: Here's my etc/make.conf (if it matters):

Quote:
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=k6-2 -pipe"
CHOST="i586-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

The only thing I changed was the -march. It was i586, but I changed it to k6-2. I'm positive that's my architecture, and I saw on other threads that's what people with K6-2 were using.
tonyr1988
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, so good.

I don't know if it was the x86 that was messing it up, but since I used the i586 (from 2006.0), it's working fine. I'm on the emerge --sync step now, with 52% done.

Unless I have any other problems (is it fairly easy-going from here?), my only question for now is: What's the longest part? You said I'd have to leave it running overnight for several nights. I need to know where I should go to sleep at.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Duplicate Threads.
See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-97894-highlight-chroot+illegal+instruction.html

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: