View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r0nster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: New Nvidia Drivers 1.0-4363 released. Reply with quote

Supposedly fixes bugs left over from the previous 4.0-x versions. Hopefully an ebuild will pop up soon :)
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, very speedy work by nvidia :) Perhaps it will fix my problems with phoenix.
dice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
*  media-video/nvidia-glx
      Latest version available: 1.0.4363
      Latest version installed: 1.0.4349
      Size of downloaded files: 4,099 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.nvidia.com/
      Description: XFree86 GLX libraries for the NVIDIA's X driver

*  media-video/nvidia-kernel
      Latest version available: 1.0.4363
      Latest version installed: 1.0.4349-r2
      Size of downloaded files: 645 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.nvidia.com/
      Description: Linux kernel module for the NVIDIA's X driver

Runing emerge -uD world right now ;)
r0nster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, the 1.0-4349 (or whatever they were) seemed to work for me rather well. Others seem to have astonishingly long startup times, display corruption, etc. So I guess I've been lucky because I have experienced nothing of the sort yet, knock on wood! :D

If anything, DVD playback has improved a small bit compared to the previous driver I was running (the 3.x series). FYI, I'm also running XFree 4.3.0 -r2.
stevos22
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff, Linux geeks welcome monthly driver updates from NVIDIA ;_0
yem
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be nice if the nvidia-kernel module used the current kernel (as determined by uname -r) instead of whatever old bunger is lurking in /usr/src/linux. I'm thinking of filing this as a bug.

Linus Torvalds wrote:
I would suggest that people who compile new kernels should:

- not have a single symbolic link in sight (except the one that the
kernel build itself sets up, namely the "linux/include/asm" symlink
that is only used for the internal kernel compile itself)

And yes, this is what I do. My /usr/src/linux still has the old 2.2.13
header files, even though I haven't run a 2.2.13 kernel in a _loong_
time. But those headers were what glibc was compiled against, so those
headers are what matches the library object files.

And this is actually what has been the suggested environment for at
least the last five years. I don't know why the symlink business keeps
on living on, like a bad zombie. Pretty much every distribution still
has that broken symlink, and people still remember that the linux
sources should go into "/usr/src/linux" even though that hasn't been
true in a _loong_ time.

Here's an updated ebuild for nvidia-kernel-0.1.4363 that does NOT depend upon the /usr/src/linux symlink: http://icculus.org/~yem/nvidia-kernel-1.0.4363.ebuild

Thoughts?
RockHound
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@yem: I think that you are right on track. Go ahead and file a bug report to nVidia ... i won't hurt. And you are always sure to get your current kernel compiled in.

Thanx for your headsup.

Greetz,

Martin
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yem wrote:
Thoughts?
Gentoo, as a distribution, assumes that the running kernel is accessible in /usr/src/linux. I agree that `uname` is probably a better solution, but Gentoo expects that symlink to be accurate.
maw
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest changing the distro then... that would be especially useful for people who run 2.5.x and 2.4.x...
yem
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delta407 wrote:
Gentoo, as a distribution, assumes that the running kernel is accessible in /usr/src/linux. I agree that `uname` is probably a better solution, but Gentoo expects that symlink to be accurate.

Hi delta. Can you be a little more specific? A quick grep of my portage tree shows 189 files containing "/usr/src/linux". If we discard all ebuilds except the highest version in each directory, it comes down to 64 files (including Changelogs and READMEs).

Is it worth changing these files?

I know /usr/src/linux is the traditional home, but since linux-2.4.20 I would call that deprecated. It would be nice to see it phased out, which could be accomplished by using a better method in ebuilds going forward.

Has this been hashed out on gentoo-dev yet?
mb4guns
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nvidia owns :D
minam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 2:14 am    Post subject: How to emerge 4363? Reply with quote

Okay--I'm a major newbie to Gentoo (though not to linux). I've searched and searched and can't find info on this question: how can I emerge the latest NVidia drivers (4363)? Posts I've read seem to imply that there is an ebuild for it floating around somewhere, but I can't find it, and the "online package database" only lists the 4349 driver.

I can't get X to start at all with the 4349... it freezes on start up. I've followed the advice of others with similar problems (posted to these forums), to no avail, and the only thing I haven't tried yet is using the latest driver. Help me, please!

Thanks,

Jamis
floam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minam..... its in portage, so just emerge nvidia-kernel after an emerge sync to get the latest stuff from portage (assming you're letting portage give you testing/unstable packages of course.)
minam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

floam--thanks for the pointer. I didn't realize the 4363 drivers were considered testing/unstable. I'll do some reading in that direction and set up portage to look there.
Safrax
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nvidia mucks up yet another driver release. 2D is still as slow as the 41's and the other 43's. I've had enough random lockups due to these drivers to really make me mad. I wish I could use the 31xx series with a 2.5.68-mm* kernel. I would be a really happy person.
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NVIDIA didn't muck it up. They work fine here. Maybe you mucked up?

I don't mean to be dense, but just because something doesn't work for you, it doesn't mean that the cause is a big failure.
Safrax
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything its Nvidia and the decision to drop XAA and implement their own. It doesn't work half as good as the 31's with the XAA drivers. Whenever there is something updating 2D wise, like a konsole scroll, the text tears like mad. With the 31's I never had this problem, everything was as smooth as silk. And as far as user error. Doubt it. I've encountered this problem on 3 machines at work as well as all my home systems. It's a nvidia driver problem.
Cossins
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it certainly doesn't occur to everyone - I've never had problems with the nvidia drivers all the way from tnt2 through geforce4.

If so many people have problems, why doesn't anyone sit down and look at the source code (it is open-source) to fix whatever problems you may have?

- Simon
aerogems
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

puddpunk wrote:

I don't mean to be dense, but just because something doesn't work for you, it doesn't mean that the cause is a big failure.

All 4xxx series drivers are pure crap for me so far in my GF2 TI. The 2D performance is like using an unaccelerated XServer.... It's just painful, and it plays hell with the schedulers in the 2.5.68mm* sources.

I also emailed the guy who's been making the 2.5 patches, and he suggested commenting out all references to "devfs_unload" in nv.c for the 3123 drivers to make them work with 2.5.68mm2 and mm3. He said it should work without problems so long as you don't try and remove the module. I haven't had occation to test it myself yet, but I do so wish someone would update the 3123 drivers as well. They may lock up often, but at least while they were working I could use my system with little pain. And I'm in search of a nice Radeon 8500 now so that I'll have the option of XFree's native DRI drivers or ATIs. I've had it with my only choices being to not be able to upgrade my kernel past 2.5.68mm1, or use drivers that make it an absolute pain to use my system. Screw Nnidia.
fragbert
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

puddpunk wrote:

He's not the only one having constant lockup problems with the 4xxx series. I'm sure it's not beyond your "dense" mental capacity to understand that it is certainly possible for someone to have a problem, even with an identical configuration and similar hardware, that someone else does not have. I'm also stuck on the 3123 drivers, because anything more recent constantly hard-locks X. Right now I believe the lockup may be caused by the Linux AGPGART's interacting poorly with the nvidia kernel module... but there's really no telling. Certainly there's nothing in the logfiles to indicate what the problem is, and I'm not knowledgeable enough to gdb the frozen X process. I will post if I ever find a fix.

Regards,

Michael
drexelslacker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Problems with AGP? Reply with quote

The only problems I've experienced with nVidia drivers is when trying to use AGP. I have a GeForce3 and run the current gentoo stable set. If I turn on AGP, I'll get random lockups within 10 minutes of starting X. When I turn it off, it's rock solid stable. To all the people having big problems, have you tried not using AGP? For curiosity's sake, it would be interesting to see if that's what the general problem is.

DrexelSlacker
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sorry to be a wet blanket on this nvidia flaming, but the 4xxx drivers work great for me. The 2D is fast and accurate, and the 3D is great. I think it was a good idea for NVIDIA to drop the XAA, as (IIRC) they found themselves very constrained by it, so they are writing their own. And of course, there are always the people who think that new code will work flawlessly on everybodies computer.

File a bug (on the nvidia forums, or whatever), be patient and stick with the 3xxx if it suits. It could be heaps worse, you could be trying to deal with ATI's drivers (trust me, you don't know how lucky you are with NVIDIA until you try and deal with ATI's drivers).

Oh, and by the way, I'm running a GeForce 2 MX on a Duron 1000 with kernel 2.5.68-mm1 and I experiance no problems.

EDIT: Typo
BMan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fragbert, I had the random x lockups with the 4xxx drivers and found the problem was with the "render accel" option.
Putting: Option "RenderAccel" "False" in XF86config fixed the problem for me and now it's totally stable.

Hope that helps!
wrex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMan wrote:
Putting: Option "RenderAccel" "False" in XF86config fixed the problem for me and now it's totally stable.

Hmm... /usr/doc/nvidia-glx-1.0.4364/README.gz says that the default for this RenderAccel is disabled. I've just tried explicitly putting in an explict "False", though, as you've suggested. I'll just have to wait and see if this makes things better.

I've been getting intermittent lockups as well with a PCI GeForce4 FX card (twinhead). I've tried among other things putting in an explicit 'Option "NvAGP" "0"' into my XF86Config, but I'm still getting lockups.

It was locking up pretty regularly (interestingly about 4 out of 5 times while xscreensaver was running pyro). I'll know within a day if RenderAcell False fixes it.

I'll leave xscreensaver running all night and report back tomorrow if setting RenderAccel fixed the problem for me as well.
wrex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 5:14 am    Post subject: no joy Reply with quote

Just got back from Mom's day dinner and X was locked up (once again with pyro on the screen).

I've just re-emerged/compiled gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r5, nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx. I'm specifying noapic in grub, turned off AGP and RenderAccel in XF86Config. I'm running out of things to try.

If it was just locking up while the screensaver was running I could live with it, but periodically I get a lockup while actively using the system -- that's far more than annoying.

Sigh.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: