Gentoo Livecd template
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobertDavid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Gentoo Livecd template Reply with quote

There are a lot of guides, done livecds, etc,, but I have never found something like prepared livecd environment(just let say we have -stage(1 - 3) and will have another -livecd)
Why Im asking that, I have made a livecd year ago, it worked, but didnt save my initial working environment, it get poluter by a lot of programs I tryed there and after some time the size raised and I didnt know what to erase:( Now Im trying to do a new one from begining, but It newer work trought some root mounting filures and other common livecds problems, I know it will take me a lot of time to debug this(I dont have this time:( ), so I have stoped building that, and still finding the way how to make absolutly customized livecd.

Second think is that I dont know what is not exactly needed in livecd and know that there are a lot of program from system profile that could be unmerged before livecd compose (and I think there are a lot of them not only gcc), to make the livecd realy SMALL!

What is my idea, if some who has already prepared his base livecd system(just pure livecd instalation that works, without optional programs) with or w/o kernel(better is with, anyone could change it afterwards), compiled with Os CFLAG, maybe with a few USE flags. Also some script to compose that (I have one, but always is better the one which is exactly to this livecd, nothing special just make some steps needed to pack the cd an make the iso)

If someone have this or plane this, it could be shared w/o krenel tree(just .config inside) an w/o portage tree, maybe there is another directory that is not necessary to distribute with. (because kernel is big and portage may be binded)

We also can discus which programs to unmerge before compose etc (if there isnt another topic about this)

I think that project similar to this should make the livecds production faster and easyer, also if there will be another livecds made by many people there will be another choices (especialy for people that dont have time or dont know how to make its own), and linux is about choice:)

I dont want for some one to sit a whole weekend and do a environment for me, I just ask boys like Conrad, or SMALL-GENTOO-LIVECD boys, or gentoo devs if they could share their own environments.

If this is already share somewhere just forget nearly whole post and only paste a link(in that case I had bad eyes during finding), thanks:)

I will be very thankful for all your advices and think-outs.

Have a nice day, Robert.(and sorry you had to spent a lot of time reading my stuff)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: