win32codecs and flash on 64bit?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vinboy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: win32codecs and flash on 64bit? Reply with quote

hi,
I have Intel's Core 2 Duo E6400.
I'm wondering if I should use 32bit or 64bit system.
I know there were problems getting some software to run on 64bit, such as flash win32codecs and others.

what about now?
are these problem fixed? is it easy to make it work on 64bit system now?
lonex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flash is pretty easy to get going on amd64 nowadays, just emerge nspluginwrapper after you've emerged firefox and flash, and you're good to go.
For win32codecs you need to emerge mplayer-bin which also is 32bit as far as I know. But I don't use that because I've got no need for win32codecs as my mplayer plays wmv just fine without them.
KAMIKAZE_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonex wrote:
Flash is pretty easy to get going on amd64 nowadays, just emerge nspluginwrapper after you've emerged firefox and flash, and you're good to go.
For win32codecs you need to emerge mplayer-bin which also is 32bit as far as I know. But I don't use that because I've got no need for win32codecs as my mplayer plays wmv just fine without them.

Doing things in such way - you're going to make your amd64 something like amd32 :) There is no any normal flash plugin which is native 64bit. You can use many kinds of 32bit lame libs. Lame, because I think it is lame to make amd32 from your amd64. The only flash plugin which compiles for amd64 natively - is Gnash. But it is so unstable... I saw amd64codecs in the portage (they are for real formats). So I believe that someday we can see more NATIVE codecs for amd64. NATIVE Skype and NATIVE Wine and/or vmware... I don't like all those wrappers. If somebody needs 32bit libraries - please use 32bit systems. Who needs native amd64 - please ask more AGRESSIVELY to manufacturers.
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAMIKAZE_ wrote:
...NATIVE [amd64] Wine...

You can already have 64-bit Wine, but it won't run any 32-bit Windows programs. If you're waiting for a 64-bit Wine that runs 32-bit Windows binaries... well you'll be waiting awhile.
eNTi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really wonder, how the fuck i manage to play any 32bit games with my natively compiled 64bit wine then? what a load of crap.

-- John Sheridan - Babylon 5, Season 4
Simius
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAMIKAZE_ wrote:
lonex wrote:

Doing things in such way - you're going to make your amd64 something like amd32 :) There is no any normal flash plugin which is native 64bit. You can use many kinds of 32bit lame libs. Lame, because I think it is lame to make amd32 from your amd64. The only flash plugin which compiles for amd64 natively - is Gnash. But it is so unstable... I saw amd64codecs in the portage (they are for real formats). So I believe that someday we can see more NATIVE codecs for amd64. NATIVE Skype and NATIVE Wine and/or vmware... I don't like all those wrappers. If somebody needs 32bit libraries - please use 32bit systems. Who needs native amd64 - please ask more AGRESSIVELY to manufacturers.

You're missing a point. Using nspluginwrapper is quite the opposite of making your amd64 an amd32. It's clean support for legacy software, without sacrificing the advantages of a more advanced (64 bit) system. There will always be legacy software, and people who need it.
The wrong answer is using a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit machine, or emerging 32 bit firefox / mplayer / whatever. This is making your 64 bit machine 32 bit. The right answer is using wrappers.

(As for aggressively asking, some Linux enthusiasts seem to live in a Wonderland of lawyers and politics, where the single valid solution for anything - like needing to use the toilet - is to file a lawsuit or start an AGGRESSIVE lobbying campaign. Asking aggressively won't help John Doe check out an important website done in Flash today, nor will it help him get his work done in a legacy software suite for tomorrow. It might help get that legacy suite ported in 2-3 years, but as far as John Doe is concerned, that's about 2-3 years too late.)
Voyageur
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eNTi wrote:
i really wonder, how the fuck i manage to play any 32bit games with my natively compiled 64bit wine then? what a load of crap.

With your natively compiled wine, or your portage-installed wine? Portage installs 32bit wine, though there is still the old line available in the ebuild for win64 emulation:
Code:
#   $(use_enable amd64 win64)

eNTi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so portage creates a 32bit changeroot to compile wine? if that or any other portage magic, that makes wine 32bit is the case, i apologize for my rather rude answer.

Code:
nt@enti $ file /usr/bin/wine
/usr/bin/wine: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

:oops:

KAMIKAZE_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simius wrote:
KAMIKAZE_ wrote:
lonex wrote:

You're missing a point. Using nspluginwrapper is quite the opposite of making your amd64 an amd32. It's clean support for legacy software, without sacrificing the advantages of a more advanced (64 bit) system. There will always be legacy software, and people who need it.
The wrong answer is using a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit machine, or emerging 32 bit firefox / mplayer / whatever. This is making your 64 bit machine 32 bit. The right answer is using wrappers.

(As for aggressively asking, some Linux enthusiasts seem to live in a Wonderland of lawyers and politics, where the single valid solution for anything - like needing to use the toilet - is to file a lawsuit or start an AGGRESSIVE lobbying campaign. Asking aggressively won't help John Doe check out an important website done in Flash today, nor will it help him get his work done in a legacy software suite for tomorrow. It might help get that legacy suite ported in 2-3 years, but as far as John Doe is concerned, that's about 2-3 years too late.)

ok... but what does it mean?:

Quote:
# emerge -pv nspluginwrapper

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies |
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "nspluginwrapper" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- net-www/nspluginwrapper-0.9.91.2 (masked by: package.mask)
# AMD64 Team <amd64@gentoo.org>
# Mask packages that rely on amd64 multilib

- net-www/nspluginwrapper-0.9.90.4 (masked by: package.mask)
:roll:
Simius
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAMIKAZE_ wrote:
ok... but what does it mean?:

Quote:
# emerge -pv nspluginwrapper

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies |
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "nspluginwrapper" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- net-www/nspluginwrapper-0.9.91.2 (masked by: package.mask)
# AMD64 Team <amd64@gentoo.org>
# Mask packages that rely on amd64 multilib

- net-www/nspluginwrapper-0.9.90.4 (masked by: package.mask)
:roll:

Well, unmask it. Gentoo has a long way to go until true multilib is reached (I wonder if anybody will still need or want multilib by the time Gentoo gets there), so there are lots of package maskings and ~keywords, and much uncertainty. But even so, stuff works. :)
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eNTi wrote:
so portage creates a 32bit changeroot to compile wine? if that or any other portage magic, that makes wine 32bit is the case, i apologize for my rather rude answer.

Code:
nt@enti $ file /usr/bin/wine
/usr/bin/wine: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

:oops:

No, it doesn't use a chroot to compile Wine, it just points Wine to the 32-bit libs it needs (in /emul) rather than the 64-bit libs it would need, then gcc compiles Wine in 32-bit mode. The result you're already familiar with now.
01mf02
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And eNTi, judging from your avatar you could use native 64-bit ScummVM to play your favourite games. :wink:
eNTi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

01mf02 wrote:
And eNTi, judging from your avatar you could use native 64-bit ScummVM to play your favourite games. :wink:

root@enti $ file /usr/games/bin/scummvm
/usr/games/bin/scummvm: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

:)

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: