Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[einit] v0.10 is out, any beta testers about?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smlgbl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, about the syslog-ng, which i am also using, just change the entry in daemons.xml from using metalog to syslog-ng. And don't forget to make it not fork to the background. Might post my entries once i am home! Theoretically you could also just copy the metalog entry, change it to call syslog-ng and then change your required services for the default- or boot-runlevel to call syslog-ng instead of metalog. Or make it provide syslog and prefer ng. The config-files are easy to understand, once you get the hang of it.
yoyo
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what I've done :wink:
But where I can change service required for the default-runlevel ??

EDIT : I just find a "default id" entry in sandbox.xml; I paste it to default.xml and try again.

EDIT bis : this entry exist also in rc.xml ... 8O

EDIT ter : ok I probably make a mistake with vim. I check and backreport here.
smlgbl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be mistaken, but i think the boot-runlevel services are in default.xml, look towards the end.
The default-runlevel services should be defined in rc.xml. Actually right now, it seems kind of inconsistent, but i might be mistaken about the whereabouts anyway, as i am not at home. Running windows here, :evil:
yoyo
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, back with sysvinit. :roll:

The default entry is in my rc.xml file :
Code:
 <prefer-xdm s="daemon-gdm:daemon-entrance" />

<mode id="default" base="boot">
  <enable mod="audio:portmap:clock:xdm:swap:mount/remote:tts" />
  <ttys s="tty2-regular:tty3-regular:tty4-regular:tty5-regular:tty6-regular" />
 </mode>
and the xdm deamon is a part of it but ... it doesn't start (or failed to start) on boot process while it's written the "default bootlevel is running" or something like this. :(

I add this entry in default.xml (exactly the same) and both of these files without success.

Any idea ??
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yoyo wrote:
mdeininger wrote:
mhhh, on second thought, i'm not sure how stable reiser4 is, it might make for a bad combo...
Too late, I give it a try ! :wink:

Well it works really well (and quick). I have to edit some config files to adapt my network config (static ralink wireless card and no eth plugged) but it works. :)

But I've got a problem with X/gdm/nvidia (dunno which one). The first try with einit gdm starts with nvidia accel etc. but my network wasn't configured correctly (typo :mrgreen: ). So I restart my computer and then the network starts correctly but X didn't start. 8O
I logged with root and run "gdm" manually : it started. So I don't know what I've done but I couldn't find where to add a module in "default" runlevel. Can you help me ?

An other improvement imha would be to have some other variables for each kind of apps. For example I don't have metalog but syslog-ng etc.

My 0.02 cents

hehe, anything welcome. that thing about how all the syslog daemons (for example) have the same name is actually on purpose, but you can specify which to prefer:
http://einit.sourceforge.net/documentation/users/configuration.html#CONFIGURATION-GENERIC-SERVICES

as for why X doesn't start.... no clue really 8O what's your output on your tty1? anything unusual there?

glad it works aside from that... it could be that somehow an fsck got stuck somewhere and that would be why it doesn't continue to xdm... or it might be because entrance has a higher preference than gdm, that link above should help here =)

rmh3093 wrote:
screw that, this init tool is going it a much better direction that initng, but thats just my 2 cents

actually, the network scripts arent even that bad now that i see how they work, the wireless script can be tweaked for wirerd or wireless nics, i just might make my netowork section an include :)

lol, wow, thanks here. i'd have to hack on a separate parser for those files anyway... let's do it like this: i'll keep the option open, but i won't implement it till version 0.3 ;)

not exactly sure why einit doesn't go ahead and boot into gdm and the likes... there should be more info on tty1, tty11 and tty12...

EDIT: to clear up some of the confusing bits: the stuff in sandbox.xml is not used when actually booting your computer, it's only used when einit is compiled in "sandbox"-mode. the entries in default.xml are processed when booting -- and one of the entries there will include rc.xml.

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
yoyo
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger wrote:
hehe, anything welcome. that thing about how all the syslog daemons (for example) have the same name is actually on purpose
Well that wasn't what I wanna say. It's something more like the $TERM or $EDITOR. You (we :wink: ) just have to select which one (ie the logger) we want with a variable and einit launch the appropriate daemon.
mdeininger wrote:
as for why X doesn't start.... no clue really 8O what's your output on your tty1? anything unusual there?
No; all processes "success" (no mention of xdm or anything relating to). :?
mdeininger wrote:
EDIT: to clear up some of the confusing bits: the stuff in sandbox.xml is not used when actually booting your computer, it's only used when einit is compiled in "sandbox"-mode. the entries in default.xml are processed when booting -- and one of the entries there will include rc.xml.
Thanks for these precision. :wink:
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
mdeininger wrote:
No; all processes "success" (no mention of xdm or anything relating to). :?

i was in a similar situation as you when I messed up the config for my network card, i thought it was set up correctly, but when i rebooted, it didnt fail and it didnt show up on the console and even being tried to start, once I fixed my config file, it all worked

as for gdm, it works for me, I dont know if xdm-entranced is messing things up, but mine works with:

/etc/einit/rc.xml:
<prefer-xdm s="daemon-gdm" />

smlgbl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your xdm still in the line that says something similar to:
Code:
  <enable mod="audio:clock:xdm:swap:tts:sshd:acpid:mount/local:ivman:dbus:sensors" />
 </mode>

in the rc.xml. Maybe it's not there. Other parts related to it might be (also rc.xml):
Code:
<prefer-xdm s="daemon-xdm" />
, as mentioned above, and (now from daemon.xml)
Code:
<mod-daemon id="daemon-xdm"
  name="XDM (xdm)"
  provides="xdm:x11"
  requires="network:video:mount/critical"
  command="/usr/bin/xdm -nodaemon"
  restart="yes" />

Just to have it mentioned also:
Code:
<!-- Syslog -->
 <mod-daemon id="daemon-syslog"
  name="Syslogger (syslog-ng)"
  provides="syslog"
  requires="mount/critical"
  command="/usr/sbin/syslog-ng -F"
  restart="yes" />
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haader wrote:
Is your xdm still in the line that says something similar to:
Code:
  <enable mod="audio:clock:xdm:swap:tts:sshd:acpid:mount/local:ivman:dbus:sensors" />
 </mode>

in the rc.xml. Maybe it's not there. Other parts related to it might be (also rc.xml):
Code:
<prefer-xdm s="daemon-xdm" />
, as mentioned above, and (now from daemon.xml)
Code:
<mod-daemon id="daemon-xdm"
  name="XDM (xdm)"
  requires="network:video:mount/critical"
  command="/usr/bin/xdm -nodaemon"
  restart="yes" />

Just to have it mentioned also:
Code:
<!-- Syslog -->
  provides="syslog"
  restart="yes" />

??? what are you trying to start xdm or gdm? because xdm is sorta like a virtual package in portage it that xdm is a virtual for all the desktop managers including xdm... your configs look fine if you wanted the actual X display manager to start
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yoyo wrote:
mdeininger wrote:
hehe, anything welcome. that thing about how all the syslog daemons (for example) have the same name is actually on purpose
Well that wasn't what I wanna say. It's something more like the $TERM or $EDITOR. You (we :wink: ) just have to select which one (ie the logger) we want with a variable and einit launch the appropriate daemon.

weeell yeah, that's exactly what you'd do with a line like...
Code:

<prefer-syslog s="daemon-syslog" />

combined with haader's syslog definition:
Code:

<!-- Syslog -->
  provides="syslog"
  restart="yes" />

(i'll add that tomorrow)

you see, the whole idea is to specify modules for applications that can do a certain job, then to use <prefer-* /> tags to specify which one to use...

what haader and rmh3093 suggested should get you running then, provided you don't have any module in the [ .... ] state. my guess is, you forgot to specify "xdm" in some enable tag or another... and btw, you shouldn't keep the default-mode definition in default.xml, it'll be superseded by the one in rc.xml (because that's parsed afterwards)

btw, could it be on of your configuration files is not syntactically correct? einit will simply stop parsing a file when it encounters a syntax error... like, for example, a missing "" arround an attribute, or a missing / in an empty element...

rmh3093, i think haader used to use xdm :) but it's the same for gdm, just with
Code:

<prefer-xdm s="daemon-gdm" />

i'll add a "scan for sane configuration" option tomorrow and get it to cvs :D

smlgbl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now with me it starts and seems finish the default runlevel (meaning the shutdown seems to work properly), but it doesn't do anything after d-bus dies on him, because i wanted to make d-bus read a different config-file, because the fork/nofork option is within the config-file, which i don't want to change everytime i switch between the init-daemons.
On tty11 i only get something like:
Code:
WARNING: Following services not available: d-bus, sensors, sshd, net.lo, net.ath0, blahblahblah.

Any ideas? Don't have too much time now fiddling myself, need to go to work...
yoyo
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger wrote:
you see, the whole idea is to specify modules for applications that can do a certain job, then to use <prefer-* /> tags to specify which one to use...
Yeah ! I just understand how these files/var/daemon are working together. it 's now really clear and very usefull. Great !!
mdeininger wrote:
what haader and rmh3093 suggested should get you running then, provided you don't have any module in the [ .... ] state. my guess is, you forgot to specify "xdm" in some enable tag or another... and btw, you shouldn't keep the default-mode definition in default.xml, it'll be superseded by the one in rc.xml (because that's parsed afterwards)

btw, could it be on of your configuration files is not syntactically correct? einit will simply stop parsing a file when it encounters a syntax error... like, for example, a missing "" arround an attribute, or a missing / in an empty element...
You've got it. While I'm not an xml files l33t reader/writter I made a mistake on the syslog daemon description and einit stops a this point and doesn't run nvidia-kern/x11/gdm. Now, thanks to haader, my config files syntax is correct and gdm start correctly. :D

But, I've got two "bugs" with gdm. First, the clock wasn't adjusted while ntp-client is started. I try to add "clock" (provided by ntp-client) on the "requires" line with no effect :
Code:
<mod-daemon id="daemon-gdm"
  name="XDM (GDM)"
  requires="network:video:mount/critical:clock"
  command="/usr/sbin/gdm -nodaemon"
  restart="yes"
  DISPLAY=":0.0"
  HOME="/root" />
Second is the language used by gdm. While my locales are well set to
Code:
locale
LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=fr_FR.UTF-8
it started in english (or maybe posix).

Is there a way to solve these "bugs" ??
smlgbl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, i also seem to have that problem with the clock. While ntp-client is running, the time is still off. Wicked.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weird, i've got a similar problem with the clock myself... i'll have to look into that a little closer, probably some variable isn't being picked up.

as for those locales... i ran into the same problem when i switched to japanese, but it only occurs in the DM. guess it's a configuration thing. it might work if you added those variables as attributes to the <shell /> tag in default.xml.

btw, i got the main framework for the checkups into cvs about an hour ago, if you update, you can use this command to check for parser errors in the default xml files:
Code:
 /sbin/einit --check-configuration

but that ONLY works with the current cvs version! check that you have the current cvs version first:
Code:
/sbin/einit -h
it should report verion 0.11 and it should list the "--check-configuration" option.

the modules all get their chance at checking for errors in the configuration, too, i'm hacking on some code to detect common "mistakes" and "no-no"s that i saw in the past threads ;)

haader, i've no clue why dbus would fail, could you post your dbus-definition?

sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll test it as soon as the new monitor for my computer comes in, the one I have is broken <_<
yoyo
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work mdeininger !

The --check-configuration is a real improvement for poor guys like me. :roll:

And one more time you're right : adding an LC_ALL variable to the <shell /> tag in default.xml solve my problem of gdm language. :D
But the time "bug" still occur : I tried modifying the TZ variable to "Paris" but it fails ... Maybe I have to set it to "Europe/Paris" ??
I add "ntpc" on the requires line of daemon-gdm without success too ... :?

Enjoy !
smlgbl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i know why dbus fails. I call it with the option to pick up a different config-file, in which i tell it not to fork to the background, so that einit can keep it running. But dbus tells me on tty11, that it was called with that option, but somehow it already used the standard config file. It is wierd, but i guess not an einit problem. If i change the usual dbus config not to fork, then it works fine. I don't know right now, if that would solve the other problems. But then again, sshd aso. don't depend on dbus. Only ivman and hald should. We'll see later in the day...
KKtm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have no time to read everything, but as there is a clock problem, I've got a Notebook, and thus, not always internet for ntp. I wrote this module once, maybe it works:

Code:

<!-- Clock -->
 <mod-daemon id="daemon-clock"
  name="Set the system clock"
  provides="clock"
  command="/sbin/hwclock --hctosys --localtime"
  restart="no" />

PS: for people with no windows on the disk, change --localtime to --utc or check man hwclock.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaah, that was the command that i had in the back of my head...
okay, i modified this definition (and mine) as follows (it's no daemon...)
shell.xml:
Code:

<!-- Clock -->
 <mod-shell id="shell-clock-ntpdate"
  name="Set the system clock using ntpdate"
  provides="clock:ntpc"
  requires="mount/critical:network"
  enable="/sbin/hwclock --hctosys ${hwclock_options};
  ntpdate -b pool.ntp.org"
  disable="/sbin/hwclock --systohc ${hwclock_options};
               /bin/true"
  variables="hwclock_options" />

<!-- I modified what KKtm wrote as a mod-daemon -->
 <mod-shell id="shell-clock-hwclock"
  name="Set the system clock using the hardware clock"
  provides="clock"
  requires="mount/system"
  enable="/sbin/hwclock --hctosys ${hwclock_options}"
  disable="/sbin/hwclock --systohc ${hwclock_options};
               /bin/true"
  variables="hwclock_options" />

rc.xml:
Code:

<hwclock_options s="--utc" />

(with windows, the hwclock_options should obviously be --localtime)

this should resolve the time errors... i'll test it later today

KKtm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I modified what KKtm wrote as a mod-daemon

oops :oops:

I hope I'll find the time to test this release.
Btw: did you find some information concerning the firmware-load-problem?
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KKtm wrote:
Quote:
I modified what KKtm wrote as a mod-daemon

oops :oops:

hey, that's okay ;) i did admit the configuration files can be confusing/intimidating :)

KKtm wrote:
I hope I'll find the time to test this release.
Btw: did you find some information concerning the firmware-load-problem?

nope, i'm afraid i haven't. i'm looking into hacking a new module-loader and network-configurator, though, so i'll probably find out soon :)

what i did find out was that there's apparently a kernel bug in the uli526x-module (if anyone's interested), that will cause a kernel-null-pointer-exception + lockup upon trying to rmmod it when there's no interface *up* -- how weird is that?

smlgbl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
well now I am impressed. For the first time it bootet up just fine! Looks very nice. And I have to admit that config-parser tool comes in very handy. Slashes and backslashes is all I say!
The only thing that failed was hald, and because of that ivman. I'll look into it right now.
yoyo
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really impressed !!

After some tries the clock is set perfectly (gdm and system) :D
And when I read the code to do that it seems so easy ...

The next step is to set up ivman ... but I don't have any daemon for that. :roll:

And a really cool stuff would be a man asking how to start/stop/restart etc. some daemon after some config modifications without restarting all the system (that's what I do till now :oops: ).

And I've got an einit segfault (error 14) when I try to reboot my computer after I modified my prefered-clock.

Thanks a lot everyone !!
smlgbl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, now it is dbus failing. But without any message! I only get
Code:
WARNING: failed services: dbus, dbus, dbus

That's it. I start it like this:
Code:
<mod-shell id="dbus-daemon"
  name="DBUS messagebus"
  provides="dbus"
  enable="/usr/bin/dbus-daemon --config-file=/etc/einit/dbus_system.conf"
  disable="killall dbus-daemon; rm -f /var/run/dbus.pid"
  restart="yes" />

But i have to admit, that i have to check if it is again only because of the pid file that doesn't get deleted, when the computer doesn't shut down properly. We'll see.
But yoyo's question about starting/stopping services without reboot is a good one. I almost got used to rebooting, cause it is real quick now ;-)
smlgbl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now most things work nicely! Thank you, magnus.

What i get now with "ps ax" is:
Code:
2722 ?        S      0:00 /bin/sh -c rm -f /var/run/dbus.pid; /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --config-file=/etc/dbus-1/dbus_system_ein
 2724 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/acpid -f
 2727 ?        S      0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --config-file=/etc/dbus-1/dbus_system_einit.conf

Somehow makes sense, because it is not supposed to fork. so it isn't coming back at all. While i wouldn't mind this, i cannot reboot or shutdown like this, because default runlevel hasn't been reached, so how shall we leave it? Honestly i view this as a big flaw right now. Besides the "power reset" still doesn't work right. It does reboot my computer, but it doesn't shut it down properly before. The only way to do it properly right now is going to tty1 and pressing Ctrl-Atl-Del. Of course right now i also need to kill dbus-daemon first, otherwise i cannot shut down the computer! :roll:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: