Why rc1, rc2, 3, 4, etc?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David916
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Why rc1, rc2, 3, 4, etc? Reply with quote

I'm a little confused about the differences between all the different release candidates. I thought Gentoo was all built from source anyway. So if you want to be completely up to date, can't you just emerge sync and rebuild everything?

$ man woman
No manual entry for woman
dice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The release canidates are basically snapshots of the portage tree. For instance, the Linux kernel is constantly being worked on, but there are occasional snapshots of the (hopefully) working source which are given version numbers and sprinkled with the sacred penguin pee. Same thing with Gentoo, except we use holy larry the cow pee.
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These release candidates contain updates to the software that you use to build the distribution on your particular machine, and they do all the hardware detection, software setup, etc... They also includes all the changes to the base layout, the software management tool (portage), and so forth.

Simply put, they are what gives you the basic Gentoo installation which you then customize to fit your needs. RC4 is an improvement (hopefully) on the installation process of RC3.

As an aside, please search the forum before asking this question, I've seen this addressed multiple times (in fact, I just copied and pasted my answer).
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC stands for Release Candidate.. should explain most of it :)
floam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The release canidates really have nothing to do with portage, its just the version of the installer.
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Why rc1, rc2, 3, 4, etc? Reply with quote

David916 wrote:
I'm a little confused about the differences between all the different release candidates. I thought Gentoo was all built from source anyway. So if you want to be completely up to date, can't you just emerge sync and rebuild everything?

short answer: yep. No difference between any of them once you finish emerging it.

Longer answer: You can get any one of the rc numbers...I'm using the rc3 I downloaded a while ago (while I get my cdr working under linux...just haven't had the time). Using that currently installing a server for a friend and from stage1, there is no difference since you build everything from the 'net anyways.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: