Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
totem won't play mov or avi files anymore?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: totem won't play mov or avi files anymore? Reply with quote

I just upgraded to gnome 2.16

and now totem refuses to play .mov or .avi files, a window pops up saying that I don't have the appropriate plugins.

AMD64 64bit Gentoo

Code:
host username # emerge -pv xine-lib totem

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/xine-lib-1.1.2-r2  USE="X alsa asf dvd gnome ipv6 mad nls opengl samba sdl xv -a52 -aac -aalib (-altivec) -arts -debug -directfb -dts -dxr3 -esd -fbcon -flac -imagemagick -libcaca -mng -modplug -oss -speex -theora -v4l -vcd (-vidix) -vorbis (-win32codecs) -xinerama -xvmc" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia -i810 -via" 22 kB
[ebuild   R   ] media-video/totem-2.16.1  USE="dbus dvd firefox gnome hal mpeg nsplugin xine xv -a52 -debug -flac -lirc -mad -nvtv -ogg -theora -vorbis" 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 22 kB
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try adding a52, aac, oss, and win32codecs.

However, you can't use win32codecs because you are missing one of the required useflags for it. I can't remember which one... emerge ufed and go through the list. Don't forget to emerge -uNavD world after you update your useflags.
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonicbhoc wrote:
try adding a52, aac, oss, and win32codecs.

However, you can't use win32codecs because you are missing one of the required useflags for it. I can't remember which one... emerge ufed and go through the list. Don't forget to emerge -uNavD world after you update your useflags.

I'll try the a52, aac, oss USE flags when I get home... but win32codecs is barred from 64bit operating systems.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you're at it, I would go for adding: a52 aac dts flac mad mng ogg oss theora vorbis
Why? a52 and dts may be used on DVDs, aac may be used in .mov, mad is mp3 support which is useful for .avi, ogg en vorbis should be self-explanatory but is an open format used increasingly often.
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
While you're at it, I would go for adding: a52 aac dts flac mad mng ogg oss theora vorbis
Why? a52 and dts may be used on DVDs, aac may be used in .mov, mad is mp3 support which is useful for .avi, ogg en vorbis should be self-explanatory but is an open format used increasingly often.

I just want the .mov's and the .avi's I already have to play like they used to. ogg, theora, vorbis are totally irrelevent to me at this point in time.
perhaps dts but I haven't had a dvd fail to play and I don't have speakers that are even nearly capable of dts playback. I don't use totem for music only files so mad and flac are out.

afaik, that should also rule out a52. isn't that the itunes music format? aac seems to be linked to quicktime so maybe that will help.

what i find odd is that totem sez I am missing plugins but I don't see any plaugins available.

btw, i'm using xine, not gstreamer, as the backend.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnevers wrote:
I just want the .mov's and the .avi's I already have to play like they used to. ogg, theora, vorbis are totally irrelevent to me at this point in time.
perhaps dts but I haven't had a dvd fail to play and I don't have speakers that are even nearly capable of dts playback. I don't use totem for music only files so mad and flac are out.

afaik, that should also rule out a52. isn't that the itunes music format? aac seems to be linked to quicktime so maybe that will help.

what i find odd is that totem sez I am missing plugins but I don't see any plaugins available.

I don't use totem, so I can't help you with the plugins issue. I really don't understand how ogg vorbis can be irrelevant to you, but that's your choice I guess. a52 is another designation for ac3, which is common for dvd audio streams. mad will give you mp3 support, which is a common audio format in avi files.
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
jonnevers wrote:

I don't use totem, so I can't help you with the plugins issue. I really don't understand how ogg vorbis can be irrelevant to you, but that's your choice I guess. a52 is another designation for ac3, which is common for dvd audio streams. mad will give you mp3 support, which is a common audio format in avi files.

they're are irrelevant in-so-much as I don't have any ogg or vorbis media files on my machine and I know I won't in the foreseeable future. For instance, I ripped my entire album collection to mp3 rather then ogg or flac, by personal choice. aren't they audio formats anyway? I use totem strictly for video playback. I use xmms for all of my audio needs... and yes I have flac, ogg, vorbis, etc enabled in xmms.
simkin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you build Totem against xine, then it's a xine-lib question, nothing to do with totem (I guess). You should ask in the amd64 forum about how they do to play win32 and quicktime things on Xine. I'm not in x86_64 but btw it's very strange that you could be able to play that before and not now... anayway you can emerge xine-ui for testing those mov files.
Isengrim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is a xine issue. I'm having the same problem with xine since the last "emerge world". Enabling the "win32codecs" USE-flag doesn't help, even if it's enabled, "emerge xine-lib -pv" shows "(-win32codecs)". With mplayer avi-files work fine.
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isengrim wrote:
Yes, it is a xine issue. I'm having the same problem with xine since the last "emerge world". Enabling the "win32codecs" USE-flag doesn't help, even if it's enabled, "emerge xine-lib -pv" shows "(-win32codecs)". With mplayer avi-files work fine.

I feel a bit sheepish.. I got home recompiled with USE="a52 aac mad" in additional to my make.conf declared USE flags... all my video formats played.. so I tried just a52 (I was going to go through them one by one to find the culprit)... all my video formats played.. so as a control I recompiled without any new USE flags... all my video formats played. xine-lib and/or totem was just needed to be recompiled.

is a USE flag is in ( ) it means that you are unable to enable that specific flag. on AMD64 with a 64 bit OS you cannot use win32codecs are they are 32bit only.
veonline
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

removing the xine use flag from totem and reemerging it with -DN solved the problem
Isengrim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reemerging worked for me, too.
ahubu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

remerging worked for me too. Partially though, at least: when I try to play ac3 5.1 encoded content, I only hear music, and the voices are muted. Does anyone know why that is? It seems that the voices are on a separate track, how to get them back? Mplayer works though.
mortar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahubu wrote:
remerging worked for me too. Partially though, at least: when I try to play ac3 5.1 encoded content, I only hear music, and the voices are muted. Does anyone know why that is? It seems that the voices are on a separate track, how to get them back? Mplayer works though.

Make sure the other channels in alsamixer exist and all of your volumes are up?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: