View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
defcon3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: GNOME: Total freeze during network file transfer Reply with quote

Hello:

I installed Gentoo 2006.1 on my new system (ASUS P5B Deluxe + E6400). Gentoo is installed on first SATA drive, so issues concering the infamous JMicron "controller" (to my mind) do not apply here.

I have a number of machines at home, one of them running Windows XP. When I try to copy files from it to my Gentoo machine, the transfer starts OK and somewhere along the way (no rule really) the machine freezes to COMPLETE halt, nothing responds - keboard, mouse, CTRL+ALT+DEL, nothing but the reset button (reboot).

I installed syslog-ng to inspect the problem but the only messages prior to the freeze are
Code:
Oct 11 12:18:07 area51 gdm(pam_unix)[4739]: session opened for user smith by (uid=0)
Oct 11 12:18:08 area51 (smith-5248): starting (version 2.14.0), pid 5248 user 'smith'
Oct 11 12:18:08 area51 (smith-5248): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory" to a read-o
nly configuration source at position 0
Oct 11 12:18:08 area51 (smith-5248): Resolved address "xml:readwrite:/home/smith/.gconf" to a writable configuration source at position 1
Oct 11 12:18:08 area51 (smith-5248): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults" to a read-on
ly configuration source at position 2
Oct 11 12:18:12 area51 (smith-5248): Resolved address "xml:readwrite:/home/smith/.gconf" to a writable configuration source at position 0

System boots via gdm into GNOME, system is up-to-date, no other issues... /var/lox/Xorg.0.log is clean... The only difference from my other Gentoo machines is that, because of 2GB RAM available, I limited the swap file to the "symbolic" 128MB. :roll:

Last edited by defcon3 on Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
Hagar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this happen on one of my systems, this was caused by a unstable NIC.
During intense transfers it would lock up the whole system.

Try to switch to another NIC, borrow one if you have to and see if it keeps crashing.
defcon3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagar, thank you for the perfect insight! It was indeed a problem with the NIC. I replaced the LINKSYS using TULIP driver with a good ol' REALTEC 8139C and now it is rock solid!!!

Kudos on the perfect answer! Thank you. :wink:
defcon3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Crash again Reply with quote

I did add [SOLVED] to the title some days ago but now the system crashed AGAIN :roll:

The (current) NIC is Realtec 8139C and is currently running on the 8139too driver. As I already noted, no logs show anything suspicios. The only (new) thing to the puzzle is the fact this sudden freeze happens when I transer either lots of data or single big files. The memory usage (as desplayed by the gnome-panel gadget) increases, eventually reaching
89% used for cache / 11% used by programs...
some time after this the whole desktop is frozen. This is absurd on a system with 2Gigs of RAM... My other machines run flawlesly with 256/512 RAM... Is there a way to optimize the use of memory, assign dynamic "empty" of cache or smth like that...

Any input on the problem will be of great help.
Hagar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is optimized usage.
What good is ram if it's empty?

The kernel caches data in memory.
If <app> wants the data again it can be pulled out of memory very fast.

This does not mean the memory is in use !
If <app> needs memory the cached data is discarded and overwritten.
Discarding the data and overwriting it is much faster then pulling it from some slow IO device.
It's practically as fast as memory that's not in use at all.
defcon3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D
I know why RAM is used as much as possible (unlike Windows, where page file is huge and HDD is working while RAM is empty)...

Thing I am trying to relay is I am so confused and so discouraged in finding the cause for this I am already looking into absurd solutions... This weekend I am planning to dismantle my machine and put it back together just to make sure everything fits perfectly in place and it is not some loose contact issue...

Regards
Smith
Sachankara
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put in the Gentoo CD and run one or two memtest86 passes.
defcon3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memtest86 runs on, and on, and on... no issue there. RAM is hand-selected twin pair of SuperT CL4s.

I noticed I made a mistake in my kernel config file - i missed to enable
Code:
CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y

Now that this is taken care of, and the kernel is updated to 2.6.18-r1 I was hoping to have no troubles whatsoever. Well, now the system can indeed "see" all 2G RAM but the issue is still unresolved: Whenever I try to copy files over the network the system freezez. It just did (again) and this time RAM utilization was below 30% (incl. cache).
~L~
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem, this also happens if I copy / unrar large files (msi k8t neo, sata drives on promise controller).
This only happens to me if I use >2.6.18 kernel

2.6.17-r9 works fine. You might perhaps test that. I do not know what the problem is...

~L~
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: