Migrating Gentoo to a SATA HD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
divined
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Migrating Gentoo to a SATA HD Reply with quote

Hello everybody

My Gentoo installation is currently on a 20GB IDE HD. I want to transfer my installation to a new SATA HD I bought. Do I need to compile SATA support in the kernel in order for this to work? I also use GRUB boot manager. Is GRUB compatible with SATA HD?

thx, in advance

George Papadopoulos
anello
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Migrating Gentoo to a SATA HD Reply with quote

divined wrote:
Do I need to compile SATA support in the kernel in order for this to work?

Yes and you have to adjust fstab as well as grub.conf and of course you need to rewrite MBR.

+ what I forgot to mention :P
divined
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. I found this page in the Gentoo Wiki http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_SATA. But what changes do I need to make to fstab and grub.conf in order to get it to work with a SATA HD. This is how I have my fstab now :

Code:

/dev/hda1               /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime         $
/dev/hda2               none            swap            sw                     $
/dev/hda3               /               ext3            noatime                $
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      subfs           fs=cdfss,rw            $
/dev/cdroms/cdrom1      /mnt/dvd        subfs           fs=cdfss,ro            $
none                    /proc           proc            defaults               $
none                    /dev/shm        tmpfs           defaults               $
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy     subfs           noauto                 $

and my grub.conf

Code:

default 0
timeout 10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.17-r8
root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-2.6.17-gentoo-r8 root=/dev/hda3 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr,1024x768$
initrd=(hd0,0)/splash-livecd-2005.1-1024x768

onlinepancakes
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

divined wrote:
ok. I found this page in the Gentoo Wiki http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_SATA. But what changes do I need to make to fstab and grub.conf in order to get it to work with a SATA HD. This is how I have my fstab now :

Code:

/dev/hda1               /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime         $
/dev/hda2               none            swap            sw                     $
/dev/hda3               /               ext3            noatime                $
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      subfs           fs=cdfss,rw            $
/dev/cdroms/cdrom1      /mnt/dvd        subfs           fs=cdfss,ro            $
none                    /proc           proc            defaults               $
none                    /dev/shm        tmpfs           defaults               $
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy     subfs           noauto                 $

and my grub.conf

Code:

default 0
timeout 10

root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-2.6.17-gentoo-r8 root=/dev/hda3 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr,1024x768$

Code:

/dev/sda1               /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime         $
/dev/sda2               none            swap            sw                     $
/dev/sda3               /               ext3            noatime                $

Code:

default 0
timeout 10

root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-2.6.17-gentoo-r8 root=/dev/sda3 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr,1024x768$

That shoulod do it I believe
divined
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. thanks a lot. I`ll try installing it now and hope it all goes smoothly!
onlinepancakes
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
default 0
timeout 10

root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-2.6.17-gentoo-r8 root=/dev/sda3 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr,1024x768$

Wait. I think
Code:

Should be
Code:
initrd=(sd0,0)/splash-livecd-2005.1-1024x768

Not quite sure though.
The Mad Crapper
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

onlinepancakes wrote:
Code:
default 0
timeout 10

root (hd0,0)

Wait. I think
Code:

Should be
Code:
initrd=(sd0,0)/splash-livecd-2005.1-1024x768

Not quite sure though.

no, hd in grub just means HardDrive, regardless of drive interface.

it is pretty easy to move your installation to a new drive with `dd`, if you need help with this, let me know :)
juantxorena
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for reviving this post, but I have the same "problem", I want to move all my HD content to a new SATA drive.
My actual situation is: Gentoo on IDE0 master, windows on IDE0 slave. The future situation is: Gentoo on SATA, windows on IDE0 master.

Apart for changing /etc/fstab, how I must change grub? I don't understand that hd vs. sd stuff, because grub must know in which HD is the stuff installed.

And what about the dd command? My idea was doing a cp -a after partitioning the new HD. Is better/worst/impossible doing this? Keep in mind that the partitions of the new HD will have different size.

Thanks for your help.

Edit: I forgot to say that I want to change filesystem also, so I suposse that dd won't work.
divined
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grub.conf didn`t require any alteration. I only altered /etc/fstab as shown in the posts above. It worked smoothly except for the fact that the kernel complains that it can`t find /dev/tty1 during boot.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: