Changing disk partitions structure to allow new Linux distro
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icest0rm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Changing disk partitions structure to allow new Linux distro Reply with quote

Hi allz,

I currently have setup on my laptop 4 partitions where I run Win XP [one partition] and Gentoo Linux [3 partitions: /boot {ext2}, swap and / {ext3}].
I've free up some space to install one other distribution just for test, but always had errors on doing it because it was saying that it can't install because can't make a primary partition.

ok I agree on this, since the current structure of my disk is this:

[img]http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/8807/disk1ix0.th.jpg[/img]

I know that I can have only 4 primary partitions so I need to change a bit the current structure of the disk...luckily the Paragon tool I found to manage partition seems to be able to change a partition from Primary to Logic one (only if adiacent to an extended partition) without loss of data...

now, how do you suggest me to change disk layout to do what I need? I thought I could do something like this:

[img]http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/9021/disk2rw8.th.jpg[/img]

making a new Primary partition on the unallocated space to host future testing distros that I will install...
but the help file of the Paragon tool says:

The Make Primary > Logical option of the system partition will result in inability to boot the operating system.

so I'm still stuck...what do you suggest? will the setup I proposed prevent me from booting Linux since I would have to change to Logical the /boot and / partitions?

would only changing the / partition to logical and making the free space logical too be enough? [i've seen for example that PC-BSD distribution see one logical partition inside an extended as primary, so would be ok to install on it...]

thanks!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icest0rm,

Please use Linux an post the output of
Code:
/sbin/fdisk -l
That will show how your data is laid out on your drive(s).
I don't quite believe your pretty pictures.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
icest0rm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here it is, as you prefer...

linuxBox icerul3z # /sbin/fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hda: 30.0 GB, 30005821440 bytes
240 heads, 63 sectors/track, 3876 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 = 7741440 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 2015 15233368 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2 2016 2029 105840 83 Linux
/dev/hda3 2030 2168 1050840 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda4 2169 3026 6486478+ 83 Linux
/dev/hda5 2030 2168 1050808+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
linuxBox icerul3z #
cotcot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would copy the files from /boot to /, adapt /etc/fstab and menu.lst in grub (if you boot in grub of course), test it and then remove the boot partition. This frees 1 primary partition for another distro in the unallocated space.

Alternatively you could partimage / to an external storage (a DVD ), delete /, extend the extended partition (with the swap), create a logical partition on it with ext3 fs and a size at least the one you partimaged and restore the root.
icest0rm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cotcot wrote:
I would copy the files from /boot to /, adapt /etc/fstab and menu.lst in grub (if you boot in grub of course), test it and then remove the boot partition. This frees 1 primary partition for another distro in the unallocated space.

ok this can be a solution :)
even if in the handbook was suggested to have 2 separate partitions for them, that's why I used that structure...

Quote:
Alternatively you could partimage / to an external storage (a DVD ), delete /, extend the extended partition (with the swap), create a logical partition on it with ext3 fs and a size at least the one you partimaged and restore the root.

well, this can be easily done with the Paragon tool for I used to show the current disk layout with just a click and no need to backup/copy back...it will just trasform the primary partition / to a logical one inside the extended which has the Linux swap in it. Will Linux be still able to boot? yes [?] because /boot is on a primary partition?

Then you'll suggest to make a new primary in the unallocated space?

thanks for your suggestions! :wink:
cotcot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unallocated as extended gives you more flexibility (more partitions if you want a separate /home for your new distro f.i.). You can load your new distro with the grub menu of your gentoo. If the distro cannot boot from a logical partition you can put the kernel of the new distro in the same directory as that for your gentoo (of course with another name).

I do not know Paragon. But I would partimage or backup any before using Paragon.
icest0rm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cotcot wrote:
Unallocated as extended gives you more flexibility (more partitions if you want a separate /home for your new distro f.i.). You can load your new distro with the grub menu of your gentoo. If the distro cannot boot from a logical partition you can put the kernel of the new distro in the same directory as that for your gentoo (of course with another name).

I do not know Paragon. But I would partimage or backup any before using Paragon.

well...for the moment I went for Paragon, it did the job nicely...not the / of Gentoo is on a logical partition inside the extended and after modifying grub.conf and /etc/fstab all went back working...

now i'm trying to install a new distro on the unallocated space as Primary partition, it's just for tests so don't need a lot of separate partitions on that, but will consider your suggestion for future if needed.

thanx
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: