extra drivers by default <wireless>
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w00dst0ck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: extra drivers by default <wireless> Reply with quote

First off, I've been using Gentoo on and off for about 1 year with a quad-boot setup (mostly for learning purposes) containing WindowsXP, FreeBSD(main os),Gentoo, and <distro flavour of the month>.

Ever since I moved over to FreeBSD as my main OS and I fell in love with how they handled wireless in particular and other drivers over all. I was wondering as to why the Linux Kernel doesn't contain most if not all of the wireless drivers out there written for Linux, Eg: madwifi drivers and ralink drivers.

I was playing around with Ubuntu on my test-drive-a-distro partition and noticed that they packaged these drivers in by default so that it would work right out of the box.

Now what I'm asking is, would it be possible for Gentoo to do the same? As in, can we have these drivers as part of the base system. I'm not asking for Gentoo to have these things work out of the box, setup and all, I would just love to have these drivers available so I can just configure my wireless card during the install and not have to run a cable or have to download these drivers ahead of time onto a usb-key, do a networkless install, install the drivers off the usb-key, then update the system once i have wireless up and running...

Just curious of course, hope I didn't ramble too much either.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is not about a one size fits all distribution. It's about a distribution that users can tailor to their needs. So wireless drivers won't be part of the base system. Some drivers will end up in the kernel and can be build by enabling them in the kernel configuration. Others will be available in portage where users can find them to emerge.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two Things

1) If you put drivers into the kernel, you have to wait for a new kernel to upgrade the drivers, and then on top of that you have to update the entire system to use the new kernel (especially if there are new features or major changes in the kernel). With most wireless drivers they are coming out with new releases frequently, at least more frequently then kernel releases.

2) If you are looking for an easier setup, use knoppix or some type of livecd with your wireless drivers, install from that, and when you are chrooted into your new install, before you reboot, emerge your wireless drivers and get them working. Done! No networkless install needed.
w00dst0ck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what? I thought of those points right after I posted.

I've never used the knoppix livecd method of installing, though Ive been tempted and have yet had a reason to.

I'll try it out over the weekend.
aidy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this gentoo install from an ubuntu livecd, must say it was a really nice expierience :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: