mplayerplug-in broken with firefox
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: mplayerplug-in broken with firefox Reply with quote

Hello,

Over the weekend I installed mplayer and the firefox and now videos don't work. What happens (on CNN) is that the wmp file starts loading, stops and restarts over and over. Myway.com does the same thing.

Based on another post, I discovered that somebody improved the USE variables and set them up. That improved them to the above state.

Settings below:

eather portage # emerge mplayerplug-in -pv

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
    [ebuild R ] net-www/mplayerplug-in-3.31-r1 USE="gtk quicktime realmedia wmp -divx -gmedia" 0 kB

Feather portage # emerge mozilla-firefox -pv

[ebuild R ] www-client/mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.7 USE="gnome ipv6 java -debug -mozdevelop -xinerama -xprint" LINGUAS="-ar -bg -ca -cs -da -de -el -en_GB -es -es_AR -es_ES -eu -fi -fr -ga -ga_IE -gu_IN -he -hu -it -ja -ko -lt -mk -nb -nb_NO -nl -pa_IN -pl -pt_BR -ro -ru -sk -sl -sv -sv_SE -tr -zh_CN -zh_TW" 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB

I have no idea how to correct this problem.
jeanfrancis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you able to play wmp file with mplayer itself? can you show the output of

Code:
emerge -pv mplayer

?

Dammital
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reproduced your problem using galeon rather than firefox while trying to play the first video I could find at cnn.com.

The mplayerplug-in was attempting to play an asf file:
Code:
$ cat obrien.lidle.route.cnn.ws.wmv\?MSWMExt\=.asf
Ref1=http://wmscnn.stream.aol.com.edgestreams.net/cnn/us/2006/10/12/obrien.lidle.route.cnn.ws.wmv?MSWMExt=.asf
Ref2=http://69.45.79.102:80/cnn/us/2006/10/12/obrien.lidle.route.cnn.ws.wmv?MSWMExt=.asf
... and appeared to be looping as you described.
I could run mplayer against the first Ref1 file perfectly well:
Code:
mplayer http://wmscnn.stream.aol.com.edgestreams.net/cnn/us/2006/10/12/obrien.lidle.route.cnn.ws.wmv?MSWMExt=.asf

A quick google search found this recent reference to someone's similar problem, asked on the mplayer-users list. This looks to me like an upstream problem, so you might want to take it up there.
Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can play .wmv files by themselves with mplayer.

Here is the output requested:
Code:

Feather portage # emerge -pv mplayer

[ebuild   R   ] media-video/mplayer-1.0_pre8  USE="X aac alsa arts doc encode esd gif gtk ipv6 jpeg mad nvidia opengl oss png real rtc samba sdl truetype unicode v4l vorbis win32codecs xmms xv xvid -3dfx -3dnow -3dnowext -aalib (-altivec) -bidi -bindist -bl -cdparanoia -cpudetection -custom-cflags -debug -dga -directfb -dts -dv -dvb -dvd -dvdread -fbcon -ggi -i8x0 -jack -joystick -libcaca -lirc -live -livecd -lzo -matrox -mmx -mmxext -musepack -nas -openal -speex -sse -sse2 -svga -tga -theora -v4l2 -x264 -xanim -xinerama -xvmc (-nls%*)" LINGUAS="-bg% -cs% -da% -de% -el% -en% -es% -fr% -hu% -ja% -ko% -mk% -nl% -no% -pl% -pt_BR% -ro% -ru% -sk% -tr% -uk% -zh_CN% -zh_TW%" 274 kB

Total size of downloads: 274 kB

I have looked at the link you posted and I think you are right: It is the same problem. It is occurring on CNN and MyWay videos and just started happening.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask CNN and MyWay to not force the users to use the wmp. If you look at the code of those website, it is what they are doing and it is a scandal.
gentel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Try version 3.21 of mplayerplug-in.
With the new version 3.31-r1 (with all necessary USE flags) I can't play videos from www.sport1.at.

It's a pity that I must use the old one, because the new one looks greater.

Best wishes
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem after a -uND world upgrade.
I switched back to the 3.21 version of mplayerplug-in like gentel suggested, and everything works fine.

The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
Elexorien
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just emerged mplayerplug-in (it pulled in mplayer since it needs it) yet i cant figure out how to get firefox to play .mov's

after i did the emerge i tried adding aas and win32codecs to my use flag and did an emerge --update --deep --newuse world and it still wont work.

any ideas?
Elexorien
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i looked in about:plugins and it appears that 3.31 doesn't list .mov as a recognized format... (odd since it says its "Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player streams using MPlayer")

i'll try to figure out how to downgrade and see if that helps...

edit: ok i installed the 3.21 version and the video playes, but i get no sound.... and about:plugins shows both 3.21 and 3.31 are installed.
Elexorien
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i added quicktime to my USE flag and reemerged now i have v3.31 working perfectly
jeanfrancis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great :)
db_404
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same symptoms as Featherfoot on cnn.com - after much chasing down versions I started removing use flags. It started working after removing xv & xvid from mplayer - so I can only assume it was a problem with interaction with the X server.

mplayer use flags ended up as
Code:

[ebuild   R   ] media-video/mplayer-1.0_pre8  USE="3dnow X alsa dvd encode esd gif gtk ipv6 jpeg mad mmx opengl oss png sdl sse truetype unicode vorbis win32codecs -3dfx -3dnowext -aac -aalib (-altivec) -arts -bidi -bindist -bl -cdparanoia -cpudetection -custom-cflags -debug -dga -directfb -doc -dts -dv -dvb -dvdread -fbcon -ggi -i8x0 -jack -joystick -libcaca -lirc -live -livecd -lzo -matrox -mmxext -musepack -nas -nvidia -openal -real -rtc -samba -speex -sse2 -svga -tga -theora -v4l -v4l2 -x264 -xanim -xinerama -xv -xvid -xvmc" LINGUAS="en -bg -cs -da -de -el -es -fr -hu -ja -ko -mk -nl -no -pl -pt_BR -ro -ru -sk -tr -uk -zh_CN -zh_TW"

Might be worth a try at least.
cameta
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing xv & xvid from mplayer solved the problem for me also.
Code:
media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc1  USE="X aac alsa arts cdparanoia dga doc dvd dvdread encode esd gtk jpeg live mad mmx nas opengl png samba sse sse2 unicode v4l v4l2 vorbis win32codecs -3dfx -3dnow -3dnowext -aalib (-altivec) -amr -bidi -bindist -bl -cpudetection -custom-cflags -debug -directfb -dts -dv -dvb -enca -fbcon -ggi -gif -iconv -ipv6 -jack -joystick -libcaca -lirc -livecd -lzo -matrox -mmxext -musepack -openal -oss -real -rtc -sdl -speex -svga -tga -theora -truetype -x264 -xanim -xinerama -xv -xvid -xvmc" LINGUAS="es -bg -cs -da -de -el -en -fr -hu -ja -ko -mk -nl -no -pl -pt_BR -ro -ru -sk -tr -uk -zh_CN -zh_TW

vmiv73
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: mac newbie, lost on video repair Reply with quote

OK, I have the same problem others described. I use sport1.at a lot for video views. Never had a prob with the PC.

Now I have the latest and greatest Macbook Pro, and the darn thing won't run videos from this site. Seems to be looking for a missing plugin for Windows Media Player. WMP is installed on the computer, but apparently that isn't sufficient.

So it seems from the other stuff I've read that I need an older version of mplayer plugin, version 3.21 supposedly will make the videos viewable. I did locate this, and I think Ieven downloaded it, but have no idea how to use it or tell WMP to use it or whatever you have to do with a mac.

I also see somebody has changed some of the code in the WMP or plugin, which seems as though that would work (deleting useflags?????????) but I have NO IDEA how to even access this code, or where to look for it, or how to change it. Yadda yadda yadda

I would GREATLY appreciate any assistance available on this. I'm beginning to have regrets on this switch to a mac, even though the notebook is sweet. The system is so dang weird.

I don't want to load windows and do the bootcamp thing, although I suppose that's a possibility... right??

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

VM
vmiv73
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More specifics: First, you click on the video you want to watch. Then, a blank video box with the message "Click here to download plugin" appears.

Then, you click that, and a message box drops in saying:

"No suitable plugins were found"

"Unknown plugin (application/x-mplayer2)"

Thanks again.
cameta
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put here the result of this command
emerge -pv mplayerplug-in
drjimmy42
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elexorien wrote:
i added quicktime to my USE flag and reemerged now i have v3.31 working perfectly

I already had quicktime enabled and 3.31 is broken as the way others have described.
cameta
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove use xv & xvid from mplayer
drjimmy42
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cameta wrote:
Remove use xv & xvid from mplayer

That worked. mplayerplug-in-3.31-r1 now works in firefox when mplayer is build without xv and xvid. I have absolutely no idea why that should fix it, but there it is.
Haystack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me why the Gentoo Forums rock so hard. Spent half an hour on google to end up in the good ol' gentoo forums. Problems solved.

Thanks.
col
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem .... videos would start to play & then just show "stopped"

to fix all I did was right click the video window & change from xv to x11
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: