Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
serious stability problems! please help!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: serious stability problems! please help! Reply with quote

okay, so my computer just got moved on a long road trip. after setting up in its new home, i put in a wireless card. that still isn't working, but that's another story.

lately, as in the past day or so, i've been having MAJOR stability problems: opening konqueror to browse my hard drives runs the CPU up to 100%, and hard-locks the system. commands take much longer to execute. when i ran an 'emerge --sync' today, i started getting really weird errors about I/O errors, and about how the file system was 'read-only.' now, on booting, certain programs (always the same ones: cupsd, ntpd) fail to initiate, returning a "bus error." vixie-cron returns an error about a 'read-only file system,' too. to top it all off, X won't start anymore, at least not in a stable way.

this is all really freaky, yes? i have one hard drive that's 100% full, which is a recent thing. other than that and the wireless card, i can't think of what could be causing all the stability issues. the computer now takes about 10 minutes to boot, where i used to be able to boot in under 2. something seems to be seriously bogging down the computer, even though top shows a cpu usage of under 5%.

i hope someone can help me here. i'm really worried.

thanks,

EE
Dammital
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the expense of belaboring the obvious, you have been in the can installing a wireless board. So open it back up again and double check the HD cables, and make sure they're all seated properly.

You have a disk that is completely full? You want to do something about that. Again pretty obvious, sorry.

You may get some mileage out of running a manual fsck against your offending filesystem. (May not!)

Otherwise I've got nothin'.
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, i did
Code:
#init 1
#e2fsck /dev/hda6 (which happens to be mounted as /usr)

whoo, boy: after a couple minutes, every few seconds i get something like:
Code:
Error reading block xxxxx (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read) while doing inode scan. Ignore<y>?
Force rewrite<y>?
Inode xxxxx, i_blocks is 200, should be 104. Fix<y>?

i said yes to all three, each time. it's still going, so i'll let you know if that fixes anything. also, /usr was one of the partitions listed as read-only, making it impossible to install anything or emerge-sync.

so, the real question is: is my hard drive dying a slow death? do i need to go out and get a replacement soon?

thanks,

EE
(also: i did double check the cables)
Dammital
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExecutorElassus wrote:
so, the real question is: is my hard drive dying a slow death? do i need to go out and get a replacement soon?

I don't know... but this prompts me to check how recent my own backups are. Not very, I'm afraid!
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, the first run through with e2fsck went overnight, and when i came back, the monitor was getting no signal. so i had to reboot. doing it again now, and nothing seems to be happening.

this, my /usr partition, seems completely b0rked. so, the next question is: what's the best way to migrate each partition of the drive to a new hard drive, and how can i replace /usr? i think i might be able to get files off the drive, so what's the process? what's essential, and what can i simply replace with an 'emerge world'?

please help, folks, my computer's been stuck in maintenance mode for two days now.

thanks,

EE
Dammital
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExecutorElassus wrote:
how can i replace /usr?

Man, that's tough. emerge lives in /usr/bin, and the tree is in /usr/portage, so you can't simply replace missing stuff "with an 'emerge world'"

Both tar and cp will preserve symlinks; check the man page. If it's still possible for you to read those partitions you can use one of those to copy the directory structure from the failing drive to a new one.

The above notwithstanding, I imagine that MOST of the stuff in /usr you can probably just overwrite with a fresh install (I don't know of any exceptions, but you should convince yourself).

So get that new drive and try to copy /usr over. If you get any errors while doing this, I recommend that you lose faith in the copy and then reinstall Gentoo. (Take care to preserve your /home somewhere!) Of course, this will be a long process.

My advice: worth exactly what I charge for it.
chrbecke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Make sure you've got backups of your important data.
2) Make backups of /etc and /var/lib/portage/world, extract a stage3 over your system, restore /etc and /var/lib/portage/world from backups and do an "emerge -e world". Luckily I haven't had to try this, yet, but it should work.

Good luck!
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, here's some more info. i want to figure out what's going wrong, because my computer stopped booting (not even giving me the BIOS startup page). i swapped the memory, and now it boots, but it still is REALLY slow. running top, i see that any time i try to run a process (say, a command), the '%wa' marker goes up to 100%, and sits there for a few minutes. this - according to some guides i read - refers to 'time spent waiting for i/o.

now, why is it doing that? is it really a busted hard drive? or something else?

can someone give me some advice? i want to fix the problem (or at least know what it is) before i waste a bunch of money on hardware.

thanks,

EE
gentoo_lan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a busted harddrive to me. I would suggest backing up important data and getting a new harddrive.
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the new hard drive already. 250gb to replace 60; should be nice. so, like the other guy says: back up /etc/* and world, and then do a stage3, right? lemme ask a couple questions:

can i just use tar to copy those over? i can't remember what's on all the partitions of that drive (i know a couple: /usr, and a subdirectory of /home). can i just tar them into their new partitions?

how do i just do a stage3? boot from a liveCD, then copy the stage3 tarball, then what? uncompress it onto the new /usr partition?

sorry, but i haven't done this in a few years. i'm rusty.

oh! and even better! it won't boot with the RAM i have, so i have to go buy new RAM, too. grr...

anyway, thanks for the help

EE
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, so i answered some of my own questions about tar-ing, and stuff. sorry for the unnecessaries. now, though, i have a new problem. whenever i try to emerge something, i get this:

Code:
gcc-config error: /usr/bin.gcc wrapper: Unable to determine executable.
      CTARTGET=o686-ps-linux-gnu
      exec=gcc

that error reappears a couple times, and then quits out. now, if i try to select a different version of gcc (some postings indicated that might help) i get:
Code:
#gcc-config -l
!!! Error: Can't load module compiler
exiting

so, it seems like, once i get all my files copied over to the new drive, i still won't be able to install anything. how to i work around this? would installing from stage3 fix this? or can i boot from a liveCD, and install from there? what would be the best approach?

thanks,

EE
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, chrbecke, i have a question for you (or for any others who might know).

so, i've backed up my data. now, the only remaining partition on the drive is the one that holds /usr. since i don't want to use that partition, and i want my new /usr partition to be on a new drive, how should i unpack the tarball? would it be possible to unmount the old /usr partition, mount the new (empty) one, and untar the tarball into it? or do i need to move the tar and bunzip2 executable somewhere safe, like /sbin?

sorry for trying to do this the hard way, but i really want to avoid starting completely from scratch.

thanks,

EE
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, i have another problem. so, i have /dev/hda, which is the bad drive. GRUB is loaded onto this drive's MBR, and i want to install it instead onto my new drive. what i'm doing right now is booting off of /dev/hda, and when i get a prompt, installing grub on the new drive, which is /dev/hdc (using 'grub-install /dev/hdc'). then, i shut down, put hdc into hda's slot, and try to reboot. when i do that, all i get is
Code:
Booting from CD....
GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB

for what it's worth, i get 47 GRUBs.

what am i doing wrong here? should i just try to boot off of a floppy first? i want to replace /dev/hda, which has the MBR for GRUB. how do i do that?

would it be easier just to boot from a LiveCD, and do it that way? that doesn't seem to be any different from what i'm doing, though.

thanks,

EE
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all right, so i'm giving up trying to get GRUB to work for now. here's another problem:

when i try to emerge world, the first thing it does after installing the first program, is to delete all the obsolete ones on my system (i unpacked a stage3 tarball, and restored my /etc directory). once it does that, though, emerge no longer works: i get an "error with sandbox binary" message, and portage quits out.

is there a way to prevent portage from deleting older versions of programs unless they've been recently updated? as in, only delete the old version of the program currently being emerged?

thanks,

EE
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: