View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eschoeller
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Firefox, Xorg and ugly submit buttons and scrollbars Reply with quote

I have followed the instructions listed here:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Xorg_and_Fonts

I now have great AA fonts in firefox and thunderbird, however there are still some things lacking in firefox and thunderbird in relation to the windows version. I am pretty sure it is not a firefox/thunderbird problem, as these types of things can also be changed in the windows versions by changing the desktop theme.

The best example to describe my problem is when you point your firefox browser to www.google.com. Both the "google search" and "I'm feeling lucky" buttons are square and ugly. In Konqueror these buttons are rounded nicely, similar to how they appear in firefox when running within windows. Text boxes, scroll bars and other elements of the browser also suffer from this.

How can I make these elements look better?
Shopro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at this one, might be the solutions. http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=gtk-engines-qt
eschoeller
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, this looks MUCH better.

here is what i did:

Code:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge x11-themes/gtk-engines-qt x11-themes/gtk-engines-qtpixmap

This however, did not make any immediate changes. I then browsed into the KDE Control Center -> Appearance and Themes -> GTK Styles and Fonts (which must have been added by one of these packages)

Within this applet, there is a friendly little section called "Firefox and Thunderbird" which allows you to apply changes to your default profiles. After that, viola! Nice scrollbars, clean separators, rounded location bar and better looking tabs.

Thunderbird also benefited greatly, however when composing a message the "To:" is overlapped with the drop down arrow, but this was a problem before this change as well.

However, the "search" and "I'm feeling Lucky" buttons on google's main site (and any other "submit" buttons in general) are still squared off. The text entry field on google's main site is also square, and not rounded off like the location bar within the app.

I hate to be a nit pick, but is there anything I can do about these?
eschoeller
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The field identifier bar in Thunderbird (ie. the bar that has the paperclip, subject, sender and date headings) is also still square when using the default thunderbird theme.

I think it's strange how only some aspects of these apps were affected, and others weren't.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: