View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aqua-teen-hunger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: X mouse configurations [solved - but good resource] Reply with quote

I was just wondering about some X mouse configurations. What are all of the possible options for specifying mouse configs in your xorg.conf. For example I have a mouse with a wheel that goes left and right as well as up and down, i also have a button right above where the thumb rests. How would i configure these. Maybe if someone knows they can specify all possible options here for everyone to see.

Last edited by aqua-teen-hunger on Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what mouse you have, but I have a very similar setup (Logitech g5) I actually just got it to work the way I wanted it to last weekend. I have to say that I am rather pleased with it :)

Down to business, though. Check out this gentoo wiki site, as it is the same one I used and I found it rather helpful. If you're still stuck then let me know. As a side note, I did read somewhere that someone had been having problems with evdev (the driver you'll want to use, as it will find all of the buttons (the regular mouse driver probably won't grab all of them)) with xorg 7.1. I'm actually running 7.1 right now (on an amd64 system, by the way) and haven't had the problems that was mentioned, so let us know how it goes :)
aqua-teen-hunger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This works well. I now have my side button. I had scroll wheel before, just not left to right, thankyou :D
Spidey
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are messy here.

MX 1000 mouse, bundled with MX 5000 Bluetooth Desktop kit.

Even in windows, the default driver is way too buggy. There is a new version wich corrects some things.

Here in linux, for my surprise, mouse and keyboard work fine, through the bluetooth usb receiver.
the bad things are:

My keyboard has several multimedia function keys that don't work. As expected. I didn't bother configuring then, not THAT useful right now.
My mouse has 12 buttons: right, left, scroll up, scroll down, scroll right, scroll left, scroll click, scroll fast up (just in the front of the scroll wheel), scroll fast down (just in the back of the scroll wheel), thumb middle, thumb back, thumb foward. In this list, only right, left, scroll up, scroll down and scroll click are working.
xev recgonises all buttons except the scroll right and scroll left ones, but i can't find out how to configure them on xorg.conf

Any clues?
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If xev can recognize the buttons, then just create an Xmodmap file that configures and sets up the buttons. (Check the wiki/xmodmap man page for syntax and usage info)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: