projectM on second display
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdunnavant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: projectM on second display Reply with quote

First off, I have projectM up and running fine. I can run projectM using the xmms-projectm plugin from either Amarok or XMMS.

The only issue that I'm having is this... I have dual monitors set up. One is display :0.0 and the other is :0.1. I modified the ~/.projectM/config file (the last line) to set projectM to display on :0.1. It still only shows on the same display that either XMMS or Amarok are on. I've tried opening XMMS and Amarok on :0.1 and changing the config file to point to :0.0 as well. projectM still shows up on the same display as XMMS and Amarok. Other settings in the config file do effect projectM, so I know that's the correct file to be changing... it just looks like it's ignoring the display setting.

Any clues as to what I'm doing wrong here? Thanks!
PaulSorensen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: ProjectM Reply with quote

Ok, I'll bite - since this doesn't seem to be in Portage:

What's ProjectM?
pdunnavant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProjectM is a rewrite of milkdrop in OpenGL.

http://xmms-projectm.sourceforge.net/

There are ebuilds in bugzilla for it here: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=87870

If you don't know what milkdrop is, it's basically visualization stuff for XMMS/Amarok/etc. Pretty cool stuff, if you like pretty trippy colors. :D
pdunnavant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone? :(

Ok, if no one can help me with that, perhaps a workaround can be done. If I can't get that setting to work in the config of projectM, is there a way to move a window drawn in display :0.0 to display :0.1? What I mean is this... open Amarok (or XMMS), start the projectM visualization in a window (which appears in the same display, say :0.0, for example)... then move it over to the other display, :0.1. After it's moved over there, I can make it fullscreen. Is this even possible? I know I can start up programs on any display by doing "DISPLAY=:0.x program_name", but can you move one once it's been started? (without xinerama, that is... cause xinerama makes projectM do wonky things... believe me, I've tried)
pdunnavant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well I figured out why at least version 0.99 is ignoring the display setting in the configuration file... I downloaded the source of xmms-projectm and took a look in there. The part where it's supposed to be reading in that setting is commented out. Go figure. So I guess they had some issues with it. I'll fiddle with it and see if I can get something to work. I'm not going to get my hopes up. :(

My previous question still stands, though. :D Any other way to move an existing window from one display(:0.0) to another (:0.1)?
pdunnavant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... so I messed around with the xmms-projectm source a little. Baby steps, though... heh

I got it so that projectM appears fullscreen in the display that I have set. Now the only problem is that projectM moves the mouse over to the display that it shows up on, and I can't move the darn mouse over to the other display! I don't know what to do to get the mouse back over to the other display. blah. I give up for tonight.
DeliciousT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdunnavant - I know your pain. I've got projectM on my laptop, and when I go to parties, I would love to be able to use the laptop lcd to load songs while the tv showed a fullscreen using dual-head (winamp + windows can do it, not that I'm about to go down that route...) Setting the X server preference in the projectM config did nothing as you mentioned. All of this is further complicated by XMMS being removed from portage (although I actually think its time had come.) Right now I'm waiting for projectM + libvisual + audacious to work, but libvisual support has been temporarily removed from audacious, and projectM + libvisual doesn't seem to work with the current versions of libvisual anyways. Luckily, in the gnu world, time heals all wounds, so I'm trying (TRYING) to be patient. projectM is so freakin awesome.
pdunnavant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeliciousT - yeah, I know what you mean. I basically got projectM to do what I wanted it to in time for a Halloween party I was having. It was a big hack, though. lol I think I figured out why the projectM devs commented out that section that messed with the X display. I may try to mess with it a little more, but I don't really have a whole lot of time right now. I'm also waiting to let the mess with xmms settle a bit, too. :-)
shakti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

move the project-m window to your second display, right click on titlebar, select no border, push alt+f3 and maximise window. Like this your mouse will be free to go to your first display.
DeliciousT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using xinerama or true dual-head? As far as I know using dual head you can't move an open window to a different X screen. IF you can, please let me know!
Entropy42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdunnavant wrote:
Ok, well I figured out why at least version 0.99 is ignoring the display setting in the configuration file... I downloaded the source of xmms-projectm and took a look in there. The part where it's supposed to be reading in that setting is commented out. Go figure. So I guess they had some issues with it. I'll fiddle with it and see if I can get something to work. I'm not going to get my hopes up. :(

My previous question still stands, though. :D Any other way to move an existing window from one display(:0.0) to another (:0.1)?

Try one of two things:

a) Find the place it is commented out and uncomment it
b) Somewhere around that source you should be able to find where the DISPLAY variable is being set. Hardcode it. This is what I did in projectM's early days before that "other display" feature was added (which was a result of me mentioning my patch and asking how I might go about implementing it in a configurable manner)
shakti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a jack-audio plugin in the works, you will be able to send any source to projectm to visualize :)
pdunnavant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a) Find the place it is commented out and uncomment it
b) Somewhere around that source you should be able to find where the DISPLAY variable is being set. Hardcode it. This is what I did in projectM's early days before that "other display" feature was added (which was a result of me mentioning my patch and asking how I might go about implementing it in a configurable manner)

I ended up doing b) when I was messing with this back in November. It worked fine for me at the time, although now xmms is gone... along with that, so is the xmms-projectm plugin. The other plugin for Amarok wasn't working very well for me, so I was just using the xmms-projectm plugin for Amarok. I haven't had much of a chance to mess with it recently, but I'll post updates if I find anything useful out.

Quote:
there is a jack-audio plugin in the works, you will be able to send any source to projectm to visualize :)

That sounds promising. :-) Thanks for letting me know about it.
shakti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: jack plugin Reply with quote

jack plugin was released and works great
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: