ldconfig is the Antichrist!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vazagi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: ldconfig is the Antichrist! Reply with quote

Lame jokes aside, I just had a pretty bad experience with ldconfig, which made me fear that I might have to reinstall gentoo, or at least emerge -e world. *gasp* THE HORROR! THE SHOCK! This happened after I updated gcc to the unstable 3.2.3 (Yeah, yeah, I know, it's marked unstable for a reason, but since when did I heed warnings?).

I did this because I wanted to see if the problems with glibc and march=pentium4 had been fixed (apparently they had, at least the python test no longer fails), however my system quickly collapsed upon itself as it was unable to locate even the most basic libraries (such as libstdc++) rendering even portage useless.

And every search (even those on beloved google) turned up nothing but references to running ldconfig, which sadly, did nothing at all ... except perhaps mocking me silently. :(
Reverting to the stable gcc did nothing but in the end I managed to get rid of the missing file errors by doing a
Code:
cp `ls | grep -E "*.so.[0-9]$"` /usr/lib/

in every dir specified in /etc/ld.so.conf. This got my system up and running again (even though some things are acting weird (that is, weirder than usual)). And all without even rebooting once. :D

However, this obviously not a great (and neither permanent nor sane) solution, as ldconfig still does not work and thus I'd greatly applicate any suggestions as to how to fix this (cookies and sympathy would be appreciated too though). :)
Supermule
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: ldconfig is the Antichrist! Reply with quote

Vazagi wrote:
(cookies and sympathy would be appreciated too though). :)

You have my sympathy :)

Hm, how's your /etc/ld.so.cache looking? Empty? Whats the size?
I know that theres an open bug about gcc not linking to libstdc++ under x86 platform, but afaik theres no solution yet....:(

Perhaps you could restore functionality by just building the bootstrap? Perhaps a developer could comment on this...

/Supermule
PS: Vi skulle have et DK-forum...der er efterhånden en del danskere herinde :)
Vazagi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supermule wrote:
You have my sympathy :)

Thanks. :)

Supermule wrote:

Hm, how's your /etc/ld.so.cache looking? Empty? Whats the size?
I know that theres an open bug about gcc not linking to libstdc++ under x86 platform, but afaik theres no solution yet....:(

It currently contains the following (which I used as part of the "fix"):
Code:
# ld.so.conf autogenerated by env-update; make all changes to
# contents of /etc/env.d directory
/usr/local/lib
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.3
/usr/lib/opengl/xfree/lib
/usr/lib/mozilla
/usr/X11R6/lib
/opt/blackdown-jre-1.4.1/lib/
/usr/qt/3/lib
/usr/kde/3.1/lib

Supermule wrote:
Perhaps you could restore functionality by just building the bootstrap? Perhaps a developer could comment on this...

As I mentioned, my system is mostly working. Indeed, I'm writing this in Konqueror, so I don't think it's necessary to do a reinstall, but if it turns out to be the only option....

Supermule wrote:

PS: Vi skulle have et DK-forum...der er efterhånden en del danskere herinde :)

Tja, jeg ville nok glemme at poste der, så I mit tilfælde gør det nok ikke den store forskel. ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: