can't change fstab file
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bartmaniac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: can't change fstab file Reply with quote

hello

I changed the mountpoints in fstab and after rebooting a lot of errors, the system let me in for maintenance. When trying to change fstab file, it says read only. Do I have to do a chmod on fstab?

Thanx
Bart
PT_LAmb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a weird problem... but I can't tell you anything if you don't paste some of the errors that ocurred and the fstab modifications.

And by the way... no chmods on fstab should be necessary.

Good luck,
Ricardo Cordeiro :)
bartmaniac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: fstab problem Reply with quote

I changed the / to /mnt/gentoo because I thought it would solve my problem. What problem? Installing 1.4rc4 from Stage1 , last step, rebooting, booting into gentoo, logged in with root and password, but couldn't find mnt/gentoo anymore. Also some files were missing or programs (eg lynx) were unknown . I'm a newbie but it has to do with chroot environment.

Suppose I do a reinstall, is it really necessary to use CHROOT?? Will gentoo install without it?
Furtim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: fstab problem Reply with quote

It might help if you gave a clearer idea on what went wrong.
If you have Gentoo installed you do not need to reinstall just boot from the install cd, mount your gentoo partition and edit the fsab that way.
You can not edit any file on a partition if you have gone in for maintenance as the file system is mounted read only.
As for what you have entered in your fstab ? from / to /mnt/gentoo ( make sure you get it pointing to the right places) eg :- /dev/hda3 / reiserfs

Hope this helps
bartmaniac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: fstab problem solved Reply with quote

I booted from gentoo cd mounted partitions and corrected fstab that way

Now it seems that reiserfs( / partition) has found severe problems in sectors clusters? (ibm deskstar 60GB ata100) For now I don't notice anything but I'm not sure if I would continue with post installatation (xfree, kde). Isn't reiserfs safe?
PT_LAmb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use reiserfs on 3 computers, and two of them are busy servers. For me it's as stable as it can get.

I really don't know what's going on there. :( If you continue to have those problems, just paste some of the error messages. It would really help.

Good luck,
Ricardo Cordeiro :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: