Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Whither XMMS? [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. I've already got mpd (I had it installed awhile back, just forgot about it).

Overkill is sometimes the only thing that gets through to people.
Conan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have no clue what point you are trying to make by masking a package that you are not using on only your system, but I am sure it is a good one!
userwaldo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the way that the audacious developers have been very responsive and courteous despite the ranting and raving. This has earned my respects for the devs, and it will probably become my replacment for xmms at some point in the future.

I'm still quite disappointed in the Gentoo Dev teams choice to remove xmms. I think that keyword masking it, or hard masking it would make more sense, since it still works for most people. It seems such a waste to just through out all the dev work that went into putting xmms and all the plugins into portage in the first place.
userwaldo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nenolod wrote:

Your wish is my demand: http://people.atheme.org/~nenolod/audacious/xmms.wsz

BasketCase wrote:
Thanks. That is much nicer. BTW, my favorite skin is the xmms default with the spectrum analyzer colors (viscolor.txt) from x11amp. I already made that very trivial change to the xmms skin you posted :)

This look pretty nice in your screenshot. Mind sharing the moded skin?
BasketCase
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

userwaldo wrote:
nenolod wrote:

Your wish is my demand: http://people.atheme.org/~nenolod/audacious/xmms.wsz

BasketCase wrote:
Thanks. That is much nicer. BTW, my favorite skin is the xmms default with the spectrum analyzer colors (viscolor.txt) from x11amp. I already made that very trivial change to the xmms skin you posted :)

This look pretty nice in your screenshot. Mind sharing the moded skin?

Sure...
Just unzip the previously posted skin and add this file to the directory it makes: http://www.sanitarium.net/unix_stuff/config_files/viscolor.txt

In fact I have used that in every skin I have used since x11amp. I simply hate skins that make the spectrum analyzer all different shades of the same color.
pa4wdh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

01mf02 wrote:
Quote:

I have a few kde packages and mplayer depending on xmms. I use xmms mainly because if supports MOD files (good old amiga 4-track music). As far as i know there's no way to get this type of file supported in the same way as via xmms libs used by mplayer etc. or is there an other way ?

Audacious can play MOD files if you enable the modplug USE flag.

Anyway, I want to say thanks to Nenolod for taking himself so much time to answer questions here!

Sorry for the late reply, i needed some time to get things done.

Audacious works fine with mod files, and in itself it's a nice replacement for xmms, thanks for the tip.

But there's one "problem": mplayer was able to use the xmms libs to play files it doesn't support otherwise (like the mod files). The problem is that mplayer cannot use audicious to do the same trick (or i missed something, i checked the use flags for mplayer and couldn't find it). So i can't use my favorite player to play my files ... would be nice to have in the future.
ahurst
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: XMMS Eulogy Reply with quote

Well folks,
we've learnt a lot through all of this - I certainly have anyway.

From being one of the first to passionately implore portage maintainers not to drop it, I've seriously considered becoming the maintainer for it myself, and I've gone through a long hard look at XMMS from a potential developer's viewpoint, finally resigning myself to agree with the Gentoo maintainers, and the father of Audacious.

Still, funerals aren't to be enjoyed.

XMMS is a victim of its own success. The original developers made a wonderful application, which I'm sure graces most linux desktops in the world today. But being complete, nothing remained for the developers but to fix the bugs that trickled through.
As the developers left, and other projects started switching away from GTK+ 1, it became far too large a job for XMMS maintainers to look after XMMS, and GTK, and all the plugins in use. Thus, while work on the successor to XMMS began, upstream development ceased, and the huge burden fell to be caught by our noble Gentoo maintainers.

The only other viable option left for XMMS was to move to GTK+ 2, which is what BMP, BMPx, and Audacious have all grown from, with Audacious the only horse left in the race.
Audacious is very much an alive and kicking project. The difference this makes has been demonstrated on this thread over and again, and I for one have become very grateful that such an alternative exists, let alone has its main developer running around our forum and pandering to our needs!

The userbase, and forum support, is one of the things that makes Gentoo great.

But, it is hard to forget. The death of our friend came as a big surprise to us all - All those users who'd just, well, USED it, for so long, because it just did exactly what we wanted, just how we wanted it.
We were kind of shocked, because we never knew that such a lot of work had already gone into keeping XMMS alive.

So if one thing be learned, I think with such an enormous userbase, a little space could've been spared in the GWN to announce the maintainer's departure, and the sound herd's decision.

Good day to you all,
and happy music listening.

Andy
dogshu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've found that audtool does not meet my needs. For one, there is no equivalent to xmmsctrl's "running" command. Nor is there an equivalent for xmmsctrl's "seek" command. Additionally, audtool always returns a "true" exit code, whether audacious is running or not.

However, apparently xmmsctrl can be ported to work with audacious very easily! Apply this patch to xmmsctrl 1.8:
http://www.netswarm.net/xmmsctrl-1.8-audacious.diff
then change
Code:
#include <xmms/xmmsctrl.h>
to
Code:
#include <audacious/beepctrl.h>
in removefile.c, compile and go.

xmmsctrl works great with audacious! awesome, now I will hardly have to change anything in my .lircrc.
Santiago_de_Mayo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Logical Fallacy Reply with quote

Everybody seems to say xmms is buggy software and it should be removed. This begs the question: what evidence is there that it is buggy? I have evidence to the contrary.

Check out this article on slashdot.
http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/12/145256

I've used xmms since 1998, currently on AMD64. It's rock solid, is ON constantly, never crashes, and has low resource utilization. I use the audiocompress plugin for light compression (just does a great job of keeping an even volume level), put the damn thing on random and let it go on forever.

Audacious is primitive, Amarok is an abomination (clunky, resource hog, and constantly does stuff that it's not supposed to)

Where are the bugs in xmms? xmms is a fine piece of software and I've already copied it to my overlay. I'll use it for the next few years until one of its forked codebases is up to snuff.

Currently it's just the best audio player out there.
BasketCase
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bugs in xmms aren't really runtime bugs that users would encounter. They are bugs requiring major patchwork to get xmms (and its gtk1 dependancy) to compile on a modern system. XMMS works flawlessly as long as someone spends a lot of work coaxing it into compiling for you which nobody is willing to do anymore.
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasketCase wrote:
The bugs in xmms aren't really runtime bugs that users would encounter. They are bugs requiring major patchwork to get xmms (and its gtk1 dependancy) to compile on a modern system. XMMS works flawlessly as long as someone spends a lot of work coaxing it into compiling for you which nobody is willing to do anymore.

It's not that so much as it is that XMMS decides it doesn't want to listen to *any* of the hints the window manager reacts to when placing its windows. As such, the developers are completely idiotic about what the ICCCM is and what it's meant to do.

XMMS sucks for this reason alone.

-- Thomas Adam
zsitvaij
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Logical Fallacy Reply with quote

Santiago_de_Mayo wrote:
Everybody seems to say xmms is buggy software and it should be removed. This begs the question: what evidence is there that it is buggy? I have evidence to the contrary.

Check out this article on slashdot.
http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/12/145256

I've used xmms since 1998, currently on AMD64. It's rock solid, is ON constantly, never crashes, and has low resource utilization. I use the audiocompress plugin for light compression (just does a great job of keeping an even volume level), put the damn thing on random and let it go on forever.

Audacious is primitive, Amarok is an abomination (clunky, resource hog, and constantly does stuff that it's not supposed to)

Where are the bugs in xmms? xmms is a fine piece of software and I've already copied it to my overlay. I'll use it for the next few years until one of its forked codebases is up to snuff.

Currently it's just the best audio player out there.

Enjoy your previous decade.

Also, points for not bothering to read the thread you commented in, missing the issue, bringing up unrelated anecdotal evidence, and dissing other players with the same logic you attempted to defend xmms against.
dogshu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nenolod wrote:
nenolod wrote:
dogshu wrote:
Hi, just like to add my 2 cents. I see that someone has already mentioned the Goom visualization plugin, but I'd just like to second the sentiment. The lack of Goom will probably result in me rolling my own xmms until it gets ported.

Working on it right now. Will post a tarball when I'm done.

Done.

http://people.atheme.org/~nenolod/audacious/plugins/goom2k4-0+audacious.tgz

uh-oh... the plugin is buggy.

With goom installed, exiting audacious also exits X (or at least gnome). I know it sounds weird, but even when goom is not enabled, as long as it is installed, exiting audacious always also exits X. A little under a second after clicking on the top-right exit button (or quitting with my remote), all of my apps disappear one by one and I'm put back at the GDM login prompt. Doing a "make uninstall" in the goom source directory solves this problem, but then obviously I can't use goom anymore.

I have absolutely no idea what is causing this. Here's what little I know: Apparently in between the time I click "exit" in audacious and I'm put back at the GDM prompt, this appears in my Xorg.0.log:
Code:
(II) Open ACPI successful (/var/run/acpid.socket)
(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "1280x1024"
(II) Mouse1: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/share/fonts/misc/" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing

and this appears in my .xsession-errors:
Code:
/home/jim/.xsession: line 3: 31874 Quit                    gnome-session

Not only that, I've just discovered that it terminates all of my incoming SSH sessions at the same time. :( This is just weird, I guess I'll be going without goom for a while. :cry:
BasketCase
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThomasAdam wrote:
BasketCase wrote:

It's not that so much as it is that XMMS decides it doesn't want to listen to *any* of the hints the window manager reacts to when placing its windows. As such, the developers are completely idiotic about what the ICCCM is and what it's meant to do.

XMMS sucks for this reason alone.

-- Thomas Adam

lol, I might have noticed that problem and even cared about it if my window manager wasn't even more outdated than xmms (fvwm-1.24r). Before you ask, yes, I have tried newer window managers including the modern fvwm but I always go back.
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasketCase wrote:
lol, I might have noticed that problem and even cared about it if my window manager wasn't even more outdated than xmms (fvwm-1.24r). Before you ask, yes, I have tried newer window managers including the modern fvwm but I always go back.

I too run the 1.24 release, but only for posterity.

-- Thomas Adam
nenolod
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogshu wrote:
nenolod wrote:
nenolod wrote:
dogshu wrote:
Hi, just like to add my 2 cents. I see that someone has already mentioned the Goom visualization plugin, but I'd just like to second the sentiment. The lack of Goom will probably result in me rolling my own xmms until it gets ported.

Working on it right now. Will post a tarball when I'm done.

Done.

http://people.atheme.org/~nenolod/audacious/plugins/goom2k4-0+audacious.tgz

With goom installed, exiting audacious also exits X (or at least gnome). I know it sounds weird, but even when goom is not enabled, as long as it is installed, exiting audacious always also exits X. A little under a second after clicking on the top-right exit button (or quitting with my remote), all of my apps disappear one by one and I'm put back at the GDM login prompt. Doing a "make uninstall" in the goom source directory solves this problem, but then obviously I can't use goom anymore.

I have absolutely no idea what is causing this. Here's what little I know: Apparently in between the time I click "exit" in audacious and I'm put back at the GDM prompt, this appears in my Xorg.0.log:
Code:

Code:

Not only that, I've just discovered that it terminates all of my incoming SSH sessions at the same time. :( This is just weird, I guess I'll be going without goom for a while. :cry:

It's the same code that xmms-goom uses, there shouldn't be any problems really. I'll look into it when I get time.
dogshu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nenolod wrote:
dogshu wrote:

Code:

Code:

It's the same code that xmms-goom uses, there shouldn't be any problems really. I'll look into it when I get time.

FYI, I've solved the problem by removing all of these function calls:
Code:
kill (goom_pid, SIGQUIT);
from the source code. Goom still shuts down when audacious is shut down, so I don't know why those are necessary. Anyway, I have it working now, thanks.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nenolod wrote:
haikai wrote:
haikai wrote:
Pitch & speed control (with and without changing pitch or speed)
SoX interface

Maybe I was imagining this. The one plugin I did find for pitch & speed is quite poor.

nenolod wrote:
We are working on trying to get an HE port for Audacious. You can help us by telling Neill you want one done.

Will do, thanks for all of your suggestions!

No problem. :)

For me, a speed control is not useful with only a cursor in the gui. I want to be abble to change the speed with acute steps. As exemple, if I play guitar when listening to some music, I want to be able to change the speed by steps of +-1 comma, so it can be tuned without the need of re tuning the guitar.

Greater steps can be really good to have too if they are musical. If you change the speed with a step on 1 fifth as exemple, it will not chock the hear as it will do if you do the same change but without acute control with a cursor.

For the math, 1 comma = 3^12/2^19 = 531441/524288 Comma (Sorry for the french link, but the french article is just better as the english one)
For the other steps: Pythagorean tuning

Beside the ability to tune a song with the comma steps, my point is at a speed control with acute control and musical steps is musical, when the same speed control but without an acute control or musical steps is not musical.
pid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imo audacious is (will be) a good successor to xmms... i guess its a well coded app, kept up to date and in really active development, which is a big plus (and i like the standard skin :])
i like to see all the plugins ported as quick as the demand is there, and for my point, i like having libprojectM as plugin in audacious, as i have it in xmms.
though audacious just cant, at the moment, fit my needs, as i just need a FAST (yes, capsup writing sucks, but its just SO important :\) and minimalistic audioplayer, which gives me a quick shortcut to BlahBlehBluh - LaLeLaLuLe (UbaLaDuDaDeb Mix) when i hit the "j" button and type in lalela.
xmms does that in far under half a second in my ~20k playlist, under audacious, it just takes ages (remember s.o. writing in this thread that this is some problem with gtk or so, couldnt it be that "inventing" some extended .m3u format which saves the metadata, dir struct, id3 tags etc in a file, which is always kept in memory of audacious would make the quicksearch a little faster? i remember a dictionary app searching through a huge wordlist in almost realtime using egrep... i dont know either, dont have any coding skills or so :\)
the new format could also prevent the metadata from being loaded everytime the app is loaded, which is the case with my conf., though i know of the feature of disabling it but then i dont have the minutes shown in the playlist.
though im asking me, when looking through a .m3u file, that all of the metadata is saved in it already:
Code:

#EXTINF:362,DJ Mahatma - Prazalla - B1 - Andi Depressiva
/mnt/vinyl/label/hoerspielmusik/HSM 030-6 - DJ Mahatma - Prazalla E.P./HSM 030-6C - Andi Depressiva.mp3

(362 is the minutes time etc...!?)
i also got ~80% cpu use when i browse through the list fast, and its pretty sluggish...

well, as a resumee, ill stick with xmms as long as it works (and it does that very well, im also very used to it as i also used it as default audioplayer in gentoo 1.4 (.3?), used all the trouble in portage to switch to the testing tree using kde and mplayer which i wanted to do the next weeks and reemerged them using -xmms.
when xmms wont work anymore, i guess i have to switch, i also always will have a look over at the guys at audacious, and if they get the list to load and search faster, im set with a ready-to-go-configured audacious to use :)
Aefron
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I need to say hello there...

Well... just ran an update that should have been done alot earlier... and had to admit xmms is about to disappear... weak... though I can understand the maintainers got bored with fixing something which sure ends up working, but seems to require heavy patching to be compiled under recent gcc... I was just asking myself if it was the case with the recent xmms cvs snapshots from august (the link has been posted earlier here... but I'm too lazy and it is too late for me to read all of this once more), though that does not change much if no stable release is to come with the cvs activity.

I am not that reluctant to switch to something else (won't be the first nor the last time)... but there's something I am really gonna miss : xmmsmplayer...

It allowed me to play media files, wether they were music or videos, through the same player... which is a killer feature to me (like clean desktops with the less bloat possible... mplayer was only loaded when needed, not requiring any unnecessary effort, while only the light xmms was loaded the rest of time...)...

Would any of you know of a way to make another basically-made-for-music-and-lightweight player use mplayer as a backend to render videofiles? I do not even need something as good as xmmsmplayer (for instance I don't need the ability to make all videos play in the same window, as I use a triple screen setup, with one screen devoted to video display)... just something that launches mplayer with some command line parameters and makes it possible to control pause, searching through the file and volume...
Corona688
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does one make the hideous GTK2 file dialog act like the usable GTK1 one?
nenolod
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corona688 wrote:
How does one make the hideous GTK2 file dialog act like the usable GTK1 one?

One runs SVN instead of 1.2.1, and enables the XMMS-style filerequestor.

- nenolod
Corona688
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have compiled the SVN version, but for the life of me can't find the option. Where's it hidden?
Corona688
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It needed to be installed for the configuration options to appear, it wouldn't work right when run from the build directory. Thanks.
emax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: is Diego a Microsft-employee? Reply with quote

I never, NEVER had any Problems when using xmms. I only have problems since xmms is masked.

Personal attack removed by NeddySeagoon
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 11 of 15

Jump to: