View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: mcdp and cddb - Simple CD player help Reply with quote

I'm looking for something very simple to use to play cds that can be easily set up for MM key use as well as give a simple representation of what's being played if required by starting a gui with cddb functionality (or freedb).

I'm using cdcd to play cds. I've noticed that if I play a cd and then open mcdp, it shows what's playing accurately, without inturrupting play. It's almost like using mpd and glurp together. I'm looking for something like that, but that I can open easily in X with a MM button and have a gui that opens without interrupting anything. The player will play without the gui, but will also be controlled by the gui, if desired, and will show info in the gui.

I'd be okay with using mcdp, except for 2 things.

- I can't figure out how to get mcdp to get info from the db server correctly, or how to change servers, or how to tell it to use already gotten info in my .cddb dir (put there by grip).

- I don't know how to open a cli app in a separate terminal (or by an icon command/mm key command).

If someone could tell me how to do these things or come up with (better) a gui / server app for playing cds, I'd be grateful!

Last edited by faceman on Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:49 am; edited 1 time in total
faceman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've figured out the command to start the terminal with mcdp, and it works really well. I do:

Code:
terminal -t "CD Player" --hide-menubar --hide-toolbars --geometry 50x30-10-10 -e mcdp

The problem is still the cddb stuff. I tried setting the CDDB_PATH to my .cddb dir where grip stores its stuff, but that doesn't give me anything (for already fetched cd info). I also tried the CDDB_SERVER setting, but I don't have an IP address for any of the servers.

I'm stuck. mcdp man says to use a port redirecting prog to make it work, and I'm assuming redir (in portage) should work, but I've no idea how to set it up. Anybody done this? Am I going the right direction?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: