Switchin' to Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ancientsage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Switchin' to Gentoo Reply with quote

I'm considering switching from Windows XP to Gentoo, I've not had much experience with installation of Operating Systems and such however, but I do know how to work with them once installed, and I have a medium-level knowledge of PHP, along with a lower level knowledge of C++ and C#. So operating it once installed isn't much of an issue...but...

If I do switch from Windows XP to Gentoo, I can't mess up. So I have a few questions...

1. I don't have an XP disc, I'm on a Sony Vaio and they didn't give me one when I got it. So I need help on this, how would I go 'bout backing it up and reinstalling it without the disc? Since if I do encounter a problem, I won't have internet access until it is solved, and XP would be my alternative so I could start over on it.

2. Would it be possible to GZip compress everything from and within the Windows installation and store it in somewhere on the hard drive?

3. I'm currently running Comcast Broadband, no router at the moment, just directly connected to a modem. Is it likely that it will be auto-detected, or am I going to have to go through a ton of trouble trying to get my internet up on Gentoo?

4. What is the default browser that comes with Gentoo?

Thanks. And sorry if this is the wrong board to post on. >_>
thestick
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to gentoo.
gentoo isn`t like other distros.
you WONT get a redhat-ubuntu-suse-mandrake-like distro ;
if you don`t wanna mess up with gentoo you should kwow some things:
- you must know your hardware very well
- have trust in yourself
- read the manual
Consider even trying ubuntu or something before the real thing.
there is no default browser.
most of us use firefox however.
do you have exp. with other linux distros?
and what is the layout of your harddisk in this moment?
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you barely know anything about Linux, I'd suggest first to have a look at KDE from Windows by downloading the VMWare Player along with a free KDE image to get a first impression. If you like that have a look at a live CD like Knoppix. This way you don't have to do any changes to your partitions.

If you like what you see, consider an easier distribution like (K)Ubuntu as a start and come back to Gentoo if you feel like it. Have fun :)
D-M
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy a second hard drive. They are cheap these days. A 80 gig will run about $50 US.

Once you have your second hard drive, uninstall the one with windows, set it aside, install your new one, start learning linux.

This way your XP install is safe and ready for uses if you need it. once you have Gentoo up and running you can reinstall the disk with XP and dual boot providing access to both OS.

DM
Dlareh
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-M wrote:
A 80 gig will run about $50 US.

Uh, if you're gonna suggest a new drive at least recommend 320GB for ~$90.

80 just isn't worth $50 anymore
Quote:
Once you have your second hard drive, uninstall the one with windows, set it aside, install your new one, start learning linux

by uninstall you mean "disconnect", of course.

--

I too recommend starting with Ubuntu. Try their LiveCD.
Ancientsage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Topic: The only experience I've had with Linux is with a CD-booted (LiveCD, I think) version of DSL (Damn Small Linux), I intend to work around with that a bit more; soon as I find the disc again. Luckly I used it on an older computer though, 'cause it screwed up all my Windows partitions.

I know most of what my hardware is, aside from the Sound Card (Onboard or seperate I'm unsure of), so that won't be a problem. And aside from the partitions of my hard drive, I have absolutely no idea what they are, since I wasn't the one who installed the OS; it came pre-installed.

So it doesn't come pre-installed with any browser? Then I'll write Opera to a disc, then install that after Linux.

Also...exactually which download would I want for an Intel Pentium 4?

@DM: That is a good idea...hadn't thought of that. I'll be able to purchase one quite soon, too.
--------------------
Dlareh
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Then I'll write Opera to a disc, then install that after Linux.

That depends on what distribution you decide on.

For Gentoo, all you need to do is be connected to the internet and run (as root):
Code:
emerge opera

For Ubuntu, see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OperaBrowser

To check the partitions on your hard drive:
Code:
fdisk -l

But since your computer came pre-installed you probably only have 1 big one and possibly 1 other small diagnostic one, so a new second hard drive would be handy.

To see your hardware:
Code:
lspci -vv

For installing gentoo on an intel pentium4, either the x86 minimal install cd or the i686 livecd will work. Get the pentium4 stage3 tarball later.
madisonicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying out linux is great... It's been about two years now since I defenestrated my life, and I'm happier with my computing-life than I ever have been. Nothing beats the control and confidance that you can get from a linux box.

There are a couple things I wanted to emphasize before you make the plunge seriously.

First is that by knowing your hardware, we mean a thorough search of these forums and others to be sure you know exactly which drivers you'll need in order to make your box work. Trust me, you are not going to want to have to fight your way through a half-way built, partially functional installation without any graphic interface and possibly without an internet connection in order to track down some obscure driver. Most hardware works out of the box, and almost anything is workable... but you will want to have all that nailed down BEFORE you do the installation.

The http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/ and http://gentoo-wiki.com websites (the hardware section) are great resources to help you figure out what it is you'll need for what it is you have.

Second, trying out linux via Knoppix or Sabayon or the Gentoo LiveCD is 100% a great idea. There are gobs of options in linux... an overwhelming number for someone coming from a Microsoft mandated world. Familiarize yourself with what's out there (KDE/Gnome/Fluxbox, Firefox/Konqueror/Ephiphany, Nautilus/Konqueror/Rox, etc... ) before you start out with a build-it-from-scratch distro like Gentoo. You'll want to know what you want to do when Gentoo drops you at that command line.

Third, read, read, read, read. Read manuals; read forums; read everything. The enormous amount of support available for linux still boggles me. I never used Windows help because it's worthless. The man pages in linux are generally great. Make use of them.

Finally, be patient and have fun. Things will be different. Most of us will argue that they'll be better. But even if you decide to go back to Windows, you'll know your computer better than you ever have just for being willing to take up the challenge.
Samsung x360
AMD64 x2 4200+ * TF7050-M2 * HTPC
ZOTAC ION A-U Mini-ITX * HTPC
onlinepancakes
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ancientsage wrote:

So it doesn't come pre-installed with any browser? Then I'll write Opera to a disc, then install that after Linux.
--------------------

Gentoo, and most modern distros, are heading towards the package manager system now for installing and managing software. Instead of installing software the old way of either CD install or downloading something on your own, you just open a terminal, login as root, and do emerge whatever. It downloads, installs, and manages your software for you, for you don't have to do anything really. You can also update all your software at once by doing an emerge world command. Gentoo has over 11,000 packages in portage, so really no need to install things the old fashion way anymore. Also, the reason why Gentoo doesn't have an default browser installed is because its based on user choice. You choose what you want and want to do, not the distro, not the OS, only you. Pure configuration and everything.
quag7
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Switchin' to Gentoo Reply with quote

Ancientsage wrote:

1. I don't have an XP disc, I'm on a Sony Vaio and they didn't give me one when I got it. So I need help on this, how would I go 'bout backing it up and reinstalling it without the disc? Since if I do encounter a problem, I won't have internet access until it is solved, and XP would be my alternative so I could start over on it.

You could use something like Ghost I guess. Someone else mentioned getting a second hard drive and leaving your XP in tact; that's probably your best solution. I seriously wish Microsoft would just give real install discs out. It's really annoying, dealing with those rescue discs.

Ancientsage wrote:

2. Would it be possible to GZip compress everything from and within the Windows installation and store it in somewhere on the hard drive?

Yes. The main thing will be the format of the filesystem you save it with - I haven't used it at all but from what I gather, the Linux kernel can read NTFS okay, so you could gzip it, and then read it from Linux. NTFS writing, I have heard, has improved, but I don't know a lot about it. You also have the option of creating a separate FAT partition somewhere, which both Windows and Linux can work with. Maybe someone who messes around with dual booting has some more details on this.

Ancientsage wrote:

3. I'm currently running Comcast Broadband, no router at the moment, just directly connected to a modem. Is it likely that it will be auto-detected, or am I going to have to go through a ton of trouble trying to get my internet up on Gentoo?

There's nothing special or complicated about Comcast (I use it too). Do you use a USB modem or do you have a network card in your computer that a modem connects to? In my case, I have a network card. You will need to know the chipset it uses, and then make sure the right kernel module is loaded for it. This is pretty basic (and the install should be able to autodetect most popular cards anyway). I've never had any issues with this.

Ancientsage wrote:

4. What is the default browser that comes with Gentoo?

Aside from links, which is a text mode based browser (intended primarily for reading the Gentoo docs as you install), no browser comes as default. When you install Gentoo, you will have a barebones system with enough to get you booted, and any tools the system requires to build further packages.

Upon install you will be in a text only environment (like DOS), without even a GUI interface (X). Once you are installed, you will then probably want to install:

X (GUI system)
Window Manager (one of many; Gnome and KDE are two of the more popular "fully featured" or "bloated" ones depending on how you look at it - I have used and like both)

At this point, depending on what window manager you choose, you will have some kind of default browser. From here, you can go on and easily install Firefox, or Opera, or Seamonkey, or whatever it is that you prefer.

As others have pointed out, use the device manager in Windows and write down as many details about the hardware in your system as possible. This will come in handy when setting this up.

Gentoo will be an uphill battle if this is your first Linux distribution, but arguably, this is the most immersive sink-or-swim way of getting yourself involved in Linux. If the Gentoo install process really freaks you out (as it has some), definitely try a more "automated" distribution like Kubuntu (for example). However, if you push hard and really make an effort to learn Gentoo, you'll have no problem using *any other Linux distro* you might encounter in the future. That's the benefit.

Good luck.
Aurisor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to scare you off, but if you install Gentoo as your first linux distro, you need to be aware:

1) The install process takes a couple of hours of complicated work.
2) If it's your first experience with linux, odds are very good that you will screw it up and have to start over.
3) Between compile times, screwups, etc, it may very well take two days to see your first GUI.

By contrast, something like Ubunutu or Fedora 6 will have you up and running in under an hour with very little chance of failure.

If you really want to learn linux inside and out, then Gentoo is the best way to learn it, IMO. If you just want to see what it's like to use linux, then try another distro instead.

Just my 2 cents.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: