4%
 4%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 378

AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
The point of this thread actually wasn't the removal of XMMS, but the reasoning for it. It has been planned to be removed with no prior warning to the people (and don't give me the crap about the dev mailing list. Not everyone subscribes to that, since not everyone needs to, nor wants to). It is, to some people, as intergal as cp, grep, or any of the other dozens of ancient programs there is used by *nix that we still use.

The reasoning seems shakey at best in as much as I care. They offer replacements that hardly come close to XMMS (if there was something that much better, most people probably would be using it by now and no one would have said a word about XMMS's removal).

You obviously totally missed the point made several times that masking a package is Gentoo's way of warning people it's going to be removed. How else do you suggest they do it? Pretty much any other system has the same problem as the dev mailing list - people will say "oh I didn't see that" or "I don't subscribe to that".

And before you accuse the reasoning behind removal (unmaintained upstream, too buggy, too many patches to maintain) as being shakey, maybe you should try maintaining it for a few months on a volunteer basis. That way you'll find out just how much work the devs have put into keeping it running smoothly and why they've decided that they'd rather concentrate on maintaining other packages which do have an active upstream instead.
nenolod
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going away, Dralnu. Please live with it and quit inciting a dramatic scenewhoring.

Thanks.
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
The point of this thread actually wasn't the removal of XMMS, but the reasoning for it. It has been planned to be removed with no prior warning to the people ....
One of the developers stated it much earlier, and it was repeated many times: hardmasking is the prior warning. The Portage tree is the only sure-fire way to reach every Gentoo user (except those not taking updates, who by definition won't care). Whether masking a month before removal is enough notice, is a separate debate.

Oh, and as for cp, mv, and the other ancient tools cited as examples of viable, unmaintained programs: they're not unmaintained, they are rarely in need of maintenance. There's a huge difference.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timeBandit wrote:
Dralnu wrote:
The point of this thread actually wasn't the removal of XMMS, but the reasoning for it. It has been planned to be removed with no prior warning to the people ....
One of the developers stated it much earlier, and it was repeated many times: hardmasking is the prior warning. The Portage tree is the only sure-fire way to reach every Gentoo user (except those not taking updates, who by definition won't care). Whether masking a month before removal is enough notice, is a separate debate.

Oh, and as for cp, mv, and the other ancient tools cited as examples of viable, unmaintained programs: they're not unmaintained, they are rarely in need of maintenance. There's a huge difference.
Ok, and your point is? They are still unmaintained. They are old. XMMS is unmaintained and old. These bugs and issues people keep complaining about, I've never run into. Its always worked flawlessly for me ever since I started using Linux.

It seems, though, that the point of this thread has been lost, though.
dleverton
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
timeBandit wrote:
Ok, and your point is? They are still unmaintained.

coreutils 6.4 NEWS file wrote:
* Major changes in release 6.4 (2006-10-22) [stable]

** Bug fixes

[snip]

cp --backup dir1 dir2, would rename an existing dir2/dir1 to dir2/dir1~.
This bug was introduced in coreutils-6.0.

Note especially the date.
cromozon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coelho wrote:
you are bitching audacious without even trying it. good going. 8O

Everyone that talks about winamp i hope they are talking about 5 years ago... cause it has become so so bad.
Foobar is the best player i ever used and the only true thing i miss from my daily windows apps.

xmms is dead hardly will ever be a new version, so keep the ebuilds and install it. Don't make a drama.

well I wouldn't say bithing, just that BMPx was a real pain in the ass, especialy since I had to install a lot of stuff whic I don't even remember now, this means that I now have even more trash on my system than before ;)

If no one knows if audacious works with huge playlists I'l probably try it myself later.

And no, im refering to every winamnp uptil now (only version 3 I think did suck).

xmms is dead? hmm i did plan to keep the ebuild myself, but as i pointed out I would like a medialibary, something like in winamp 5, which still have all the good features from XMMS/winamp 1
cromozon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohh well, i tried audacious, and i must admit I'm pleasantly surprised, my play list now spans > 6000 tracks and everything seems to run excellent, cpu @ 0.0%, it evens seems like the music sound even smoother, but thats probably just me :D
Daytona
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just learned of this today when I happened to visit the XMMS site to get some plugins for XMMS on the Knoppix LiveCD I'm using while out of the country on business. (I run Knoppix off of a USB stick on the work laptop when I'm not working- let me rephrase that- when I'm out of the office :) )
While I, like many others, dislike this decision, I understand it as well. The few other times I actually visited the XMMS site, it's always the same. No news, no development. Which, for me, was always fine, because I have had no problems whatsoever- it's always just worked, from way back when I started with Red Hat 6. And fortunately, as has been pointed out many times, we use Gentoo, and can simply create an overlay to keep XMMS (which will be my first order of business upon returning home, after seeing the lady, and getting new tires on my truck).
So, tough decision, sucks for me, but not near enough to pull me away from Gentoo. Nothing I've tried has worked better or had the flexibility that Gentoo offers, which is the very thing that will allow us to keep XMMS on our systems despite its removal from portage.
Muddy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can sum up my feelings on this as simply "Audacious is 1/2 of what XMMS is",
I've never found a way to load more than 256 songs in Audacious, in XMMS I've never found a limit.
That alone kills audacious for me, that and nothing I've found is a fast, efficient or easy to use as XMMS.

LONG LIVE XMMS!!!

:D
aidy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a sign for things to come? [XMMS Removal] Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
Ok, as alot of people know: XMMS is going down the drain, supposedly for having ~30 bugs, and that there is no upstream, and that it is old and crappy. The reason I could see: Some dev bitched, moaned, and complained until it was decided to remove it.

Now, as we all know, XMMS works, and works very well. I keep it running 24/7 on a workspace along side Gaim, where nothing else is. Many others have said that this has seriously broken their systems (or their systems are teetering), but it seems the devs don't give a shit (which honestly seems like a standard reply these days).

What is next? There are thousands of apps in Portage that are buggy, but yet they remove the one that has been a staple of Linux installs for ages. I've only heard of one player that could border on XMMS's greatness, that being mpd (which I still havn't quite worked on fixing up yet), and it doesn't seem to quite match up with the ease that is XMMS.

But what is next, I wonder. Someone going to get KDE removed because its buggy? Gnome because it restricts the user? What is next? Will it be YOUR favorite application?

ok you're just a newbie and already whining like i dunno what... jesses
ahurst
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I believe this is a sign of things to come.

The interesting point for me is why the upstream development of XMMS stopped.
It is a victim of its own success.

It was essentially finished, did everything everyone asked of it, and was adopted as one of the most used and most widespread linux applications in history, running on nearly every user's desktop on the most obscure HW/SW variants.

All that remained was to fix it as compilers/OS's/GTK+ changed and moved on around it.
Have a read through the bugzilla and you'll see what I mean.

A warning to linux app developers everywhere - build as monolithically as you can, and never ever complete your app!

Andy
Corona688
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest change was GTK+. That is not a small change! As it happens there are some people who went and did convert it to GTK2 despite the enormous changes. It's called Audacious now.
chashab
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: keep xmms! isn't this what gentoo is about? Reply with quote

xmms works great. i don't care if upstream no longer supports it, isn't this what gentoo is about? choice about what i get to run? if i wanted a minimal set of support apps that were not buggy, i would use ubuntu.

audacious may have improved over the years since it forked from xmms, but it still pales in comparison. i have over 13000 loaded in xmms. i hit j and the jump dialog comes up immediately and i can start typing right away. audacious takes seconds before i can type. other tasks have similar results, audacious is just slow to respond all the time.

if xmms is dead fine, mask it if you want but leave it in portage! this is gentoo, give me the choice if i want to run a dead piece of software!

LONG LIVE XMMS!
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: keep xmms! isn't this what gentoo is about? Reply with quote

chashab wrote:
xmms works great. i don't care if upstream no longer supports it, isn't this what gentoo is about? choice about what i get to run? if i wanted a minimal set of support apps that were not buggy, i would use ubuntu.

audacious may have improved over the years since it forked from xmms, but it still pales in comparison. i have over 13000 loaded in xmms. i hit j and the jump dialog comes up immediately and i can start typing right away. audacious takes seconds before i can type. other tasks have similar results, audacious is just slow to respond all the time.

if xmms is dead fine, mask it if you want but leave it in portage! this is gentoo, give me the choice if i want to run a dead piece of software!

LONG LIVE XMMS!

Do yourself a favor and:

Code:
mkdir -p /usr/local/overlays/xmms/media-sound
mkdir -p /usr/local/overlays/xmms/media-plugins
mkdir -p /usr/local/overlays/xmms/xfce-extra
mkdir -p /usr/local/overlays/xmms/dev-perl
mkdir -p /usr/local/overlays/xmms/x11-plugins
mkdir -p /usr/local/overlays/xmms/gnome-extra
mkdir -p /usr/local/overlays/xmms/rox-extra
mkdir -p /usr/local/overlays/xmms/dev-python
cp -r /usr/portage/media-sound/*xmms* /usr/local/overlays/xmms/media-sound/
cp -r /usr/portage/media-plugins/*xmms /usr/local/overlays/xmms/media-plugins/
cp -r /usr/portage/xfce-extra/*xmms* /usr/local/overlays/xmms/xfce-extra/
cp -r /usr/portage/dev-perl/*xmms* /usr/local/overlays/xmms/dev-perl/
cp -r /usr/portage/x11-plugins/* /usr/local/overlays/xmms/x11-plugins/
cp -r /usr/portage/gnome-extra/*xmms* /usr/local/overlays/xmms/gnome-extra/
cp -r /usr/portage/rox-extra/*xmms* /usr/local/overlays/xmms/rox-extra/
cp -r /usr/portage/dev-python/*xmms* /usr/local/overlays/xmms/dev-python/
echo "PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/overlays/xmms" >> /etc/make.conf

nenolod
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muddy wrote:
I can sum up my feelings on this as simply "Audacious is 1/2 of what XMMS is",
I've never found a way to load more than 256 songs in Audacious, in XMMS I've never found a limit.
That alone kills audacious for me, that and nothing I've found is a fast, efficient or easy to use as XMMS.

LONG LIVE XMMS!!!

:D

Have you ever heard of a bug tracker?
chashab
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: keep xmms! isn't this what gentoo is about? Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:

Do yourself a favor and:

as it looks like us old schoolers (been using xmms since '97) are being shunned, that's a great idea.

also, don't forget the themes!

Code:
mkdir -p /usr/local/overlays/xmms/x11-themes
cp -r /usr/portage/x11-themes/*xmms* /usr/local/overlays/xmms/x11-themes/

Last edited by chashab on Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
chashab
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nenolod wrote:
Have you ever heard of a bug tracker?

totally your right! i gotta file some bugs right now:

- audacious: slow and unresponsive. most features, all the time.
- amorok: great operating system, please include mp3 player in next version!

UPDATE: i shouldn't be that harsh, i like the fact audacious uses gtk2, but it seriously pales next to xmms in performance.
bugaboo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not respect a linux distro without XMMS on its official packages!
XMMS has the Linux Soul(tm). Everything has to be done thinking in XMMS first! If KDE bugs with it, remove KDE! If CUPS bugs with it, remove CUPS! If all system bugs, remove the system! Leave XMMS alone!

XMMS > Gentoo :lol:
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugaboo wrote:
I do not respect a linux distro without XMMS on its official packages!
XMMS has the Linux Soul(tm). Everything has to be done thinking in XMMS first! If KDE bugs with it, remove KDE! If CUPS bugs with it, remove CUPS! If all system bugs, remove the system! Leave XMMS alone!

XMMS > Gentoo :lol:

Oh dear... :?
bugaboo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look how this is funny, I wrote "xmms" on search field, the only topics with the word "xmms" were these:

-> revdep rebuild failes because of xmms [solved]
-> Video/Sound stopped working after XMMS removal
-> getting rid of xmms
-> XMMS going away... What to use?
-> Whither XMMS? [SOLVED]
-> Unstable xmms is a dependency [solved]
-> No sound since gentoo reinstalled & compiled without xmms
-> why my all ebuilds about xmms are maksed?
-> What use to play all sounds without XMMS

Since when we have this forum? I think it isn't new.. And, wow, so many problems with xmms, huh? Its breaking
gentoo boxes since the beggining, ha! Ok, I'm not a programmer, but it's hard to swallow that is something
impossible to maintain together with another programs. Buggy? I'm using it for about 5 or 6 years without a
damn problem. Don't come with "you can still use, just put it in the overlay thing!". Xmms HAS to be there, it's
a symbol, maybe we can suggest Linus to put built-in or as a module right inside the kernel code!!

LOL! please, join www.xmms.org , it's up-to-date. :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's all about choice isn't it? So I don't use gentoo anymore, it's buggy.
dalu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugaboo is right tho, xmms is bigger than gentoo or any distro

and concerning the attitude of some developers "if you don't like it gtfo", i suggest you do that yourself.
i remember a time where people like you would get banned for that kind of attitude.

i no longer recommend gentoo for servers, and with actions like these you'll surely lose me and my recommendation for desktop use.
with xmms' hardmasking a big weight just dropped on the contra side.
i know, you don't give a fuck, it's alright.

bring back xmms i say.
Sachankara
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the f**k is wrong with you people? The Gentoo developers use their spare time to maintain Gentoo, and if they feel that maintaining something old and buggy is a waste of time, then it's their choice. If you think their spare time should be wasted on stuff they aren't even interested in maintaining, then you should go and get a clue. Why not maintain it yourself if you think it so easy?

Sure, there are some packages that I'd like to have in Portage, but if noone is interested in maintaining the ebuilds/patches and I don't think I can be a maintainer myself, then I guess I'll have to install the packages the plain old way: ./configure && make && make install . It isn't very hard to install programs manually you know.

If you demand that the Gentoo developers should do stuff they aren't interested in, you should pay them for it. Start a fund and pay a developer to work on XMMS if you don't want to do the work yourselves.
Corona688
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before and I've said it again. XMMS isn't dead. It's still here. They just call it Audacious now.

Really people. Is the name that bad that you won't consider it "true" XMMS? I don't like the name, it's too close to Audacity but that's no reason to hate the program. Yes, it's got bugs. So does the "pure" XMMS. The difference is, they can be, and are being fixed in the new fork. They've even got the traditional replacement for the hated GTK+ file dialog in their SVN version, by popular request.

I did have a thought though. Instead of trying to keep the same source compiling forever with the same outdated libraries, how about xmms-bin? An all-static installationless version that doesn't need the old GTK+ shared libraries.
chashab
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this flame war is proving interesting. i'd like to point out a few errors:

Sachankara wrote:
What the f**k is wrong with you people? The Gentoo developers use their spare time to maintain Gentoo, and if they feel that maintaining something old and buggy is a waste of time, then it's their choice.

correct, it is their choice. they don't have to support it! the developer could abandon the ebuild. and if no one else shows up to support it, it will be hard masked. but it can easily remain in portage. this is what these features in portage are for! there are many abandoned ebuilds in portage, it's great, most are very usable (like xmms) and I can hack 'em if I like because they are available with lots of patches. removing it from portage is unnecessary.

on to the next...

Corona688 wrote:
I've said it before and I've said it again. XMMS isn't dead. It's still here. They just call it Audacious now.

let's review some history. BMP starts as a fork from XMMS in 24 June 2004 and by the time of BMP 0.9.7.1 60 to 70% of the code had been refactored. BMP 0.9.7.1 was the last version, from there two forks were created, BMPx and Audacious. First release date of Audacious was 30 October 2005. I challenge you to diff the source code of XMMS and Audacious, you aren't going to find much, if anything at all, that is the same.

sorry, but Audacious != XMMS.

The funny thing is XMMS works great! I ain't backing it for sentimental reasons. I'm backing it because it's a solid media player. If you really want to remove it from portage, at least just hard mask it till XMMS2 is finished. we need a viable replacement!
Corona688
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chashab wrote:
let's review some history. BMP starts as a fork from XMMS in 24 June 2004 and by the time of BMP 0.9.7.1 60 to 70% of the code had been refactored.
Of course. They moved it to GTK+ 2x, which is a really huge change. The API's completely different.
Quote:
sorry, but Audacious != XMMS.
Yes, it is. It's XMMS reworked to use GTK+ 2x. I've looked in the source code. Everything's still xmms_functionname etc.
Quote:
The funny thing is XMMS works great! I ain't backing it for sentimental reasons. I'm backing it because it's a solid media player. If you really want to remove it from portage, at least just hard mask it till XMMS2 is finished. we need a viable replacement!
Audacious is far closer to XMMS than XMMS2 will ever be. Audacious is a direct XMMS descendant with the same interface and features, and none of the whining I've seen has changed that. XMMS2 not only won't be compatible, it's not even the same kind of program.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: