Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
My Feedback and suggestions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many points do u think r valid here?
All of them
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Most of them
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Some of them
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
They a r all crap
55%
 55%  [ 11 ]
I don't care
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 20

shaumux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: My Feedback and suggestions Reply with quote

Hi
I have been a gentoo user for around 2.5 years now.
and i just love it.
But off late there are some things i would like to point out.

1. Nowadays the gentoo news letter seems to be delayed

2. Also the packages in portage seems to lagging behind other distros. My package.keywords just keeps getting biiger.
But my system is running just fine. I suppose the packages could be updated a little faster.

3. Also i would like to point out the error on the release engg. project page it still says march for 2007.0 although its april
I think they should give a correct timeframe. I am not saying to rush things here, the developers need their time and
they should have it, they can just provide a more correct timeframe, give the releasle date in the future of their
expected release date, so they have some more time if something goes wrong. I think it will give a better impression
on others.

4. Also i think Gentoo is not getting enough promotion and attention like ubuntu or fedora or suse. I think something
should be done about this.

5. Also i think there should be a community binary package repository containing binary packages available in portage
which will be uploaded by gentoo users. I think that would really help gentoo going that extra mile and no one can
complain then that gentoo is time consuming coz they would have the option of the community binary repositiry
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: My Feedback and suggestions Reply with quote

shaumux wrote:

1. Nowadays the gentoo news letter seems to be delayed

Not really fussed about that, hardly read it anyway

shaumux wrote:

2. Also the packages in portage seems to lagging behind other distros. My package.keywords just keeps getting biiger.
But my system is running just fine. I suppose the packages could be updated a little faster.

how are they lagging? the fact that you keep adding to package.keywords is proof that gentoo is still ahead. IF you mean ARCH w.r.t. ~ARCH, well you can't have it both ways. The dev's kept getting flac because things in ARCH were unstable (even though some of that was upstream issues) so they made sure ARCH was more stable and ~ARCH was more testing ground.
The packages exist via portage, you said it yourself (in a round about way). If you want to get the packages into ARCH then sort some of the bugs. Gentoo is what you make it

shaumux wrote:

3. Also i would like to point out the error on the release engg. project page it still says march for 2007.0 although its april
I think they should give a correct timeframe. I am not saying to rush things here, the developers need their time and
they should have it, they can just provide a more correct timeframe, give the releasle date in the future of their
expected release date, so they have some more time if something goes wrong. I think it will give a better impression
on others.

Do you need the LiveCD now? the fact that you say you have been/are using Gentoo mean's that it is installed on your system and thus you don't need a new liveCD (for quite some time my original Gentoo-1.4 was all I used, and only got 2006.1 when I rebuilt and some of the new hardware needed for installation wasn't supported). Yes new users with the JMicron controller will probalby be itching for an install medium, but the majority of people can actually install fine with 2006.1

shaumux wrote:

4. Also i think Gentoo is not getting enough promotion and attention like ubuntu or fedora or suse. I think something
should be done about this.
ok ill give you this one

shaumux wrote:

5. Also i think there should be a community binary package repository containing binary packages available in portage
which will be uploaded by gentoo users. I think that would really help gentoo going that extra mile and no one can
complain then that gentoo is time consuming coz they would have the option of the community binary repositiry

err... no. Gentoo is source-based, there are a few packages that are bin for a reason and some people have started their own collection, but on the whole NO!
shaumux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually in point 3 i was not pointing to the release itself but the release dates.
I think the timeframe should be more accurate. Postponing continously creates a bad impression and send out a wrong message.At least thats wat i think.

Also i am happy that u agree on point 4 i think something should be done about this.

on point 5 i do not mean to replace the source based as the main option but it could be something like a last resort or for people looking for a quick install for some reason.

Most of all i would like to say here that i am not critisising gentoo i just said wat i thought would help gentoo get even better.
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Yes, the newsletter is often delayed these days. Calls have gone out for people to help with it, not sure how successful they have been.

2. As Naib stated, there has been a considerable effort to make sure that arch is stable, even if it lags behind upstream. If people want to use ~arch packages, they can.

3. Release engineering just uses that date as an 'expected time', nobody holds them to it - it will be ready when it is ready.

4. Gentoo is no longer the 'new' linux, nor does it cater to the desktop crowd like Ubuntu or Fedora do, thus it is expected that it doesn't get as much press treatment.

5. There have been efforts at creating a binary repository in the past, they have failed. That isn't to say that you (or someone else) can't try. If the community likes it, it will be successful.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could help.
I help in the forum and I have a lot to do.
Later in two or three years I help sorting out bugs.
Now I have a little amount of time to participate.
Akkara
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
5. a community binary package repository containing binary packages available in portage which will be uploaded by gentoo users

Special care needs to be taken with this one otherwise someone with malicious intent could pretend to be a helpful gentoo user and upload binaries infected with all kinds of nastiness. And with all the use-flags and other customizations makes everyone's binaries different, it'll be hard to tell that it's not a legit binary.
shaumux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@tw04l124
I am always ready to help.

Concerning the binary repositiry , that was just an idea i had, if its taken seriously then some measure can be taken like the user who submit the packages will have to register and also there might be precautions taken such as having to submit a valid logfile and telling all the use flags and other options used and there could be a voulantry team of testers of the submitted packages. Also i meant it as a last resort not as a replacement.

And i think that the release enng. team should put dates in future of their expexcted dates, remember that perfect schedules will always crumble. I am not talking of the release itselt here as some of u might think but of the release date.
Creates a bad impresssion on others, i think
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaumux wrote:
Concerning the binary repositiry , that was just an idea i had, if its taken seriously then some measure can be taken like the user who submit the packages will have to register and also there might be precautions taken such as having to submit a valid logfile and telling all the use flags and other options used and there could be a voulantry team of testers of the submitted packages.

You can test as much and require as much information as you want, but such a repository would still be vulnerable to random code injection, effectively any user of it would have to put absolute trust into every submitter to not do anything nasty. Using packages from a repository is about the same as offering root access to every person with write access to that repository. Just binary packages are much harder to review than text based ebuilds. But this thing has been discussed to death in the past already, absolutely no point in reviving it here.

Quote:
And i think that the release enng. team should put dates in future of their expexcted dates, remember that perfect schedules will always crumble. I am not talking of the release itselt here as some of u might think but of the release date.

I think they just shouldn't give out any dates at all, but that's just me. Btw, how do you know that the date given was actually their expected date and not already moved into the future as you suggest? Not saying that it was one or the other, but any schedule can fail, even if you add a safety buffer of several weeks/months.
shaumux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a good point i think maybe there shouldn't be any release dates given by them, it'll be released wen its ready amy be tats the best option.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: My Feedback and suggestions Reply with quote

Naib wrote:

Do you need the LiveCD now? the fact that you say you have been/are using Gentoo mean's that it is installed on your system and thus you don't need a new liveCD (for quite some time my original Gentoo-1.4 was all I used, and only got 2006.1 when I rebuilt and some of the new hardware needed for installation wasn't supported). Yes new users with the JMicron controller will probalby be itching for an install medium, but the majority of people can actually install fine with 2006.1

For thoses who have a Jmicron, they can download the KOK LiveCD or install Gentoo with Knoppix.
JeliJami
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My Feedback and suggestions Reply with quote

shaumux wrote:
Hi

I think they're working on something like this: http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My Feedback and suggestions Reply with quote

davjel wrote:
shaumux wrote:
Hi

I think they're working on something like this: http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/

Nope, that's just a byproduct of an automated test system, so "use at your own risk".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: