Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How to install MS programs using Wine in gentoo??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snakeo2
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: How to install MS programs using Wine in gentoo?? Reply with quote

I just finished compiling Wine and im now ready to start testing. I normally dont use windows , except when playing games such as Splinter Cell, Max Payne, Madden, etc, and also use Quicken and Excel alot, having said that, I would like to install Quicken and maybe Excel via wine in my gentoo partition so that i can use. Is this possible? if so how? Also, does wine only work if i have my existing windows drive mounted into a separate partition ? in other words, should I mount my drive where XP resides, create a mount point, say /mnt/xp, and then use wine to run the programs that I have already installed in that partition? Thanks for the help
250GB SATA Drive
4GB Corsair DDR2
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check here to see if your app is supported under WINE and how well.

Check here for the WINE FAQ.

Check here for the WINE documentation.

Hopefully, those will answer all your quesitons. If not, post back here with details of your problem.

Have fun.
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though, by definition, Wine Is Not an Emulator (get it?) for our sake we can consider it such in that it will emulate the Windows environment for you. Just mount the cd (Quicken, for example) and go to your cdrom's directory. Then enter:

Code:

wine setup.exe

Replace setup.exe with whatever the installtion executable is. This is true for any program you want to run via Wine, just enter 'wine {program name}' and it'll go at it. This, obviously, doesn't always work, and for that check the website (specifically the apps database) and you'll find ways to share your experience with a certain program in Wine (by entering testing data) or to read up on problems that others have had with trying to run Windows programs. It's the first place to go if you ever have any problems with Wine. Here's the link for the apps database.
Ast0r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also possible to do some stuff to make your system able to run windows executables without having to invoke wine directly. If you do the following, you will be able to double-click windows .exe files and have wine load them.

1.) Make sure that binfmt_misc support is compiled into your kernel (module is ok too as long as you load it)
2.)
Code:
echo ':DOSWin:M::MZ::/usr/bin/wine:' > /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register

3.) Put that line (echo ':DOSWin:M::MZ::/usr/bin/wine:' > /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register) in /etc/conf.d/local.start.
4.) Profit

Also, in case you are wondering, I've had very good success with running Windows programs in Wine. Pretty much everything works now, either "out of the box" or with some registry hacks (on the Wine "Windows" registry, that is). I've run Counter-Strike: Source with very little effort in Wine. The performance isn't amazing right now because of the imcomplete Direct3D implementation (and the lack of good ATI drivers), but it works. Counter-Strike 1.6 runs very well using OpenGL, though. Steam will work, but you have to copy the tahoma font (c:\windows\fonts\tahoma.ttf) to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts/ or alter the font settings or you won't be able to read anything. Since you already have Windows, that's easy. :)

I also use a Windows guitar tablature program called TabIt, which outputs guitar tabs as MIDI. I was able to get it working with Timidity++ and a little work. So right now the only thing I'm really missing out on is good performance in Direct3D games to completely drop Windows (OpenGL games actually work pretty well, but most of the good OpenGL games have Linux ports).

I'm guessing Quicken will probably work, but why do you want to use Excel? OpenOffice is free and completely compatible. The Calc program is an Excel equivilant.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: