Sempron 64: What should I use? i86 or AMD64? [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tarvok
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Sempron 64: What should I use? i86 or AMD64? [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Greetings. This is my first post here. I've been doing some searching around the web and the forums trying to figure out the answer to my question, and am thoroughly confused. I'm an Ubuntu user considering trying out Gentoo. The reason is that the basic installation is a i386 installation, and while they have K7 kernels, I've heard that few of their application binaries actually support more advanced features. So, I want to see what I can do with Gentoo, having heard that in Gentoo, you compile everything special for your own machine.

My question is thus. My new computer has something the vendor is calling an "AMD Sempron 64 2800+. Does that mean I want to use the AMD64 installation? I've read that there are some Semprons that are 64 bit, and some that are not... I assume the vendor did not lie to me when they called my processor a "Sempron 64."

So what do I download, the x86 install disk, or the AMD64 install disk? AMD64 Ubuntu worked when I installed it, though I switched to i386 because of the many packages that are unavailable for the AMD64 archtecture.

In cased it helps, here's some output:

Code:
tarvok@Rider:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 44
model name      : AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2800+
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 1607.511
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni
bogomips        : 3218.36

tarvok@Rider:~$

btw, I am aware that the x86 installation will work... no doubt about that. However, I am considering switching from Ubuntu in the hopes that I can get this thing to do more than just "work." I want to max this thing out.

Last edited by Tarvok on Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:07 am; edited 1 time in total
madisonicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Gentoo boards. =)

It is certainly possible to run an i686 (i.e., 32-bit) installation of gentoo on an amd64 system. For compatibility reasons, it may be easier just to do that until some of the few remaining 64-bit holes are filled in.

There is a section of the forums devoted to amd64 (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewforum-f-46.html) which might be of some help to you.

The excellent gentoo-wiki has some information which also be useful:

Recommended "safe" CFLAGS: http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags#Sempron.2FSempron64_.28AMD.29
HowTo AMD64: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_AMD64

HTH,
m
Samsung x360
AMD64 x2 4200+ * TF7050-M2 * HTPC
ZOTAC ION A-U Mini-ITX * HTPC
Tarvok
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like there's a way to go before there's good AMD64 support. I'll probably just stick with my current setup untill I see otherwise.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: