farcry in linux. . .
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-=GGW=- $ol!d $n4>|e
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: farcry in linux. . . Reply with quote

Ok, so a while back i burrowed my friends farcry in windwos and it was an awesome game, but itwas to hard to play in tux. I just heard that the kernel thing got fixed so it might be ok now, but under wine it refuses to run and under cedega it refuses to run. Does anyone have the best version to play this as? I'm on an amd64 system. Supposedly with cedega everything works pretty well now... using 5.2.X
-=GGW=- $ol!d $n4>|e
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i got it to run but it crashes because of the nvidia driver issue, does anyone know a way around this?
cybertronix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had it working under Wine .9.23, kernel 2.6.18, and nvidia-drivers 9626, but under Wine .9.24 I'm getting a "The memory could not be written" error when I try to load my last checkpoint. I guess I didn't try any other checkpoints so maybe that would help.

Also, it will segfault repeatedly when I try to start it, but with a little perseverence it starts eventually. I also have a script that changes my X resolution to match Far Cry's resolution because I believe I read that there are problems running it otherwise.

Not sure if your AMD64 will be different though. That's why I'm still running 32-bit.
-=GGW=- $ol!d $n4>|e
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i get dll not found errors for msrcvp71 and the other 71 and i can't get wine to find the ones i downloaded for some reason.
cybertronix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you add them as dll overrides in winecfg? Where did you put them? I think either .wine/drive_c/windows/system or the directory of the game should work.

Although that would be odd since I have no dll overrides at all and it doesn't complain to me. I do have a system directory full of dlls that I downloaded at some point so maybe by default it's using those. Err, actually I just checked and I do have msvcp71.dll, msvcr71.dll, and mfc71.dll in the Bin32 directory of Far Cry, and I think it may use those by default. So I guess try that.
-=GGW=- $ol!d $n4>|e
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i added the overrides and it still wont get it..

Quote:

fuag@gentoo ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Ubisoft/Crytek/Far Cry/Bin32 $ wine ./FarCry.exe
err:module:import_dll Library MSVCP71.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Ubisoft\\Crytek\\Far Cry\\Bin32\\FarCry.exe") not found
err:module:import_dll Library MSVCR71.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Ubisoft\\Crytek\\Far Cry\\Bin32\\FarCry.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\Ubisoft\\Crytek\\Far Cry\\Bin32\\FarCry.exe" failed, status c0000135

i have a copy of the 3 dlls in bin32, in system and in system32.. :\

only thing i can think of is that the registry entry probably isnt in wine because i installed it with cedega then moved the foldier, should i reinstall with wine? its kinda a big installation
cybertronix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm, that's not good. I'm pretty sure the copy of Far Cry that I'm running was actually installed on Windows and copied from there so I don't think that should be a problem (it's 1.31 because the liflg installer will only do 1.33 which at the time at least had some bugs under Wine). On top of that I've created clean ~/.wine directories numerous times so I'm sure I don't have any registry entries left for it either. Honestly I don't think that's a Far Cry problem though. For whatever reason Wine isn't finding those dlls which isn't really related to the app it's running.

Have you tried renaming the DLLs in all upper/lower-case and such? I'm grasping at straws because mine are all lower-case, but since it's complaining about them upper-case maybe it would help. Also are the permissions reasonable on them? If you got them from somewhere else maybe they picked up some weird permissions along the way that's preventing them from being read.

I guess you could try reinstalling using the Loki installer into a clean ~/.wine (I've had problems trying to reuse a .wine directory between versions of Wine, but that's not a big deal for me because everything is installed somewhere else so I just delete it - if you installed other things into the fake C drive it would be more of a hassle). I think that should include all of the dlls and what-not that you need.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: