View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsfan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: [solved] nvidia drivers work, openGL does not Reply with quote

I recently got an Asus A8 Jm laptop with an nVidia GeForce Go 7600. According to nVidia this chipset should be supported by their binary drivers. However, when I install them, change my xorg.conf accordingly and have eselect switch the libraries, I get the following in my Xorg.0.log

Code:
(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
dlopen: libGLcore.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
(II) UnloadModule: "glx"
(EE) Failed to load module "glx" (loader failed, 7)

This is the same no matter if I load GLcore in my xorg.conf explicitly or not. I hae no idea where it actually looks for the library because it does exist.

Code:
jsfan@laptop ~ $ locate libGLcore.so.1
/usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLcore.so.1.0.8776
/usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLcore.so.1
jsfan@laptop ~ $ ls -l /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLcore.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Oct 27 10:58 /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLcore.so.1 -> libGLcore.so.1.0.8776

What am I doing wrong? I haven't "straced" X, yet, but currently can't think of anything else.

Any hints anyone?

Last edited by jsfan on Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: an idea Reply with quote

as for where X is looking ...

Quote:
(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
dlopen: libGLcore.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so

and as for where it should be looking, you seem to be trying to locate a different file.

Quote:
Code:
jsfan@laptop ~ $ locate libGLcore.so.1
/usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLcore.so.1.0.8776
/usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLcore.so.1
jsfan@laptop ~ $ ls -l /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLcore.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Oct 27 10:58 /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLcore.so.1 -> libGLcore.so.1.0.8776

I do not know why you locate this file. You may be right in refering to it. but as you see in the first quote (above), X is looking for a file called "libglx.so ".

i suggest you try creating a symbolic link to the correct file where X looks. Its the easiest way and doesn't involve changing X's config. But it does need to point to the right file, which may or may not be /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLcore.so.1.

Assuming you did locate the correct file...

Code:
ln -s /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLcore.so.1 /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so

will create a symlink libglx.so that X will automagically follow right over to /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLcore.so.1 and I certainly hope that's the right file. If you didn't use emerge to get glx and nvidia stuff, maybe that's the root of your problem / misconfiguration. For what it's worth...
Code:
descartes linux #ls -l /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 43 Sep 24 13:15 /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so -> /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/extensions/libglx.so

good luck.
jsfan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. I probably should have been a bit more verbose. I mentioned libGLcore.so.1 because libglx.so is obviously found. It is exactly where X looks for it.

Code:
jsfan@laptop /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions $ ls -l
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      43 Oct 31 13:39 libglx.so -> /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/extensions/libglx.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 657168 Oct 31 13:28 /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/extensions/libglx.so

However, if I have a look at libglx.so, I see this.

Code:
jsfan@laptop ~ $ ldd /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/extensions/libglx.so
        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
        libGLcore.so.1 => /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLcore.so.1 (0xb76b4000)
        libnvidia-tls.so.1 => /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libnvidia-tls.so.1 (0xb76b2000)

No here is where the problem lies. The library libGLcore.so.1 is linked in but apparently not found. This is rather strange as it exists and even adding the library path to ld.so.conf doesn't help. :(
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: no, the mistake was mine Reply with quote

jsfan wrote:
Sorry. I probably should have been a bit more verbose.

No, I should have been more carefully reading ; )

for the record, did you install with portage? or did you download from nvidia? or glx developers? or both? I use portage for all the software I can and it does a really nice job of integrating it all together.
jsfan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, this is a very strange problem. Now I tried to strace X and suddenly it is gone...

And it is still gone when I try without strace! ;)

To answer your questions nevertheless: I always used portage. I actually tried remerging the nvidia-drivers package before and I reckon that this did the trick. However, it's not the first time I remerged it. But I tried a lot of things (also remergeing X). Who knows what actually fixed it...

Thanks for the help, anyway. :D
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: yeah ... X Reply with quote

X is a fickle beast, eh? Sometimes easy as pie, sometimes hard as ... um ... day old cake? But anyway, good job and enjoy your new graphical user interface. how early nineties! ; )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: