Graphical installation from the live CD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
horia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Graphical installation from the live CD Reply with quote

I booted my machine with the gentoo 2006.1 live CD in order to install the OS on my clean, new hard disk drive.
During the boot, the live CD correctly identified my networking card: the VIA VT6102 rev 74.
At the login screen, it prompted me for the username and password. The user gentoo automatically logged in to the GUI and I tried browsing the web to see if my network was working. Google and Yahoo could not be found by the browser.

I pressed CTRL+ALT+F1 and it took me to the console window, which was allready logged in as root.
I typed lspci to see if my VIA was still listed. It was. So I typed ifconfig to see if anything besides lo was listed. Only lo was listed.
I came to these forums and did a few searches, read a handfull of threads, and then typed dhcpcd eth0. I waited approximately 1.5 minutes and then got the message: Error, timed out waiting for a valid DHCP server response.
Finally, I shut down the system, disconnected my DSL modem and my Linksys WRT54GS router. Then I reconnected the router and modem, and booted up the live CD again. I went back into the console and I typed net-setup eth0 and, after the wizard finished, I followed its instructions and typed ifconfig to see if my interface was listed. It was listed. I then tried to ping my DSL modem and got the response: Network is unreachable.

I did one last dhcpcd eth0, which was returned by another timout error, and then I came here and posted this thread.

Please help me get my live CD to connect to the network, and to connect to the internet. I am pressed for time and any help will be greatly appreciated.
Dlareh
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if
Code:
ifconfig -a

does not show an eth0, then dhcpcd eth0 is a waste of time.

does `lsmod' show via-rhine?
horia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it does.

lsmod gives via_rhine 16772 0

And, I wasn't specific enough. ifconfig -a does show my eth0, along with my lo.
horia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update :::

I talked to the linksys tech support team and they said that their routers only work with windows and macintosh machines. I know better than that; but I realized they wouldn't help so I took matters into my own hands.

After restoring default configs and performing a hard reset, I installed the tarifa b029 firmware onto my linksys router. Now, my router sees both the windows and the linux machines and it dhcp broadcasts to all of them.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tarifa/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: