View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KKtm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: GDM 2.16 fails to start session Reply with quote

Based on this bug
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=359387
Quote:

I think this was fixed in 2.15.10 and 2.16, so I'd recommend upgrading.
Marking as a duplicate of bug #327530.

it seemes that I've got to upgrade to gdm 2.16 if I want to come to the pleasure of the new ati-drivers.

But gdm-2.16.0-r1 and gdm-2.16.1 don't work here at the moment.
They start up great, but as soon as I try to log in for the first time, the X Server restarts and the second time it kinda really tries to log in (the input fields/buttons disappear) but then doesn't show a splash screen or really start my session.

I'm sorry not to be able to provide you with more information, but on one hand, even if I start gdm from console it doesn't print out any debug information and on the other hand it's pretty hard to get to a virtual terminal, because Ctrl+Alt+Fx doesn't work (maybe someone can tell me what to do against that...)

Cheers, KKtm
KKtm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did nobody experience similiar problems with gdm-2.16?
And does nobody have any experience debugging gdm?
I'd really like to upgrade my ati-drivers...
elephant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes (not always), when GDM starts the screen goes blank. Then I for example do alt+tab and I see the screen as usual but with an error message stating that gnome-session could not start normally and load my settings. There are also dialogs asking me whether I want to delete some applets (keyboard indicator, maybe something else too) because they couldn't be loaded. Also the theme is totally broken, in fact there is no theme. Then when I open the GNOME Theme settings the theme is recovered.

My GNOME is up-to-date. Unfortunately, gnome-screensaver has pulled the latest ati-drivers with it and now my X+fglrx setup is broken (I tried to fix it, but can't do it; haven't asked here though). I haven't updated X to 7.1 yet. In fact, I'm replacing my ATI card for a Geforce tomorrow, and I'll update world and (after a while...) see if the problem is still there.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: