Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What distribution will *YOU* switch to?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 34, 35, 36  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed Ubuntu on an 800mhz computer because I wanted to quickley try some things out, and I was left with an impression that I do not like at all. I'm sure that if I read through the documentation I could've found out how to open the thing up to me more, but I didn't like having to sudo nearly every command to get the thing to work. I'd much rather just su in and issue commands that way. Also, Ubuntu's forums are not nearly as informative as Gentoo's. So, I suppose if I had bothered to rtfm it would've been a better experience, but for my needs for the computer, I guess Linux in general won't do as I need specific Windows-compatible programs because I can't be around to tell my extended family how programs X, Y, and Z are different from Microsoft's A, B, and C.

Now if I could only figure out how to install a Dell OEM version of Windows XP Home on a non-Dell computer, I'd be set. Especially since I do *not* want to hook up anything with Windows ME to the internet....
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HXC wrote:
(dvd, mp3, flash, java all is working out of the box

Um, flash doesn't work out of the box 100% of the time. Actually, Opera needs some work to get it to work.
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
HXC wrote:
(dvd, mp3, flash, java all is working out of the box

Um, flash doesn't work out of the box 100% of the time. Actually, Opera needs some work to get it to work.

Your right. I mean it's out of the box available. in the other distro's your need to hunt for unsupported repo's :?
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bertaboy wrote:
I installed Ubuntu on an 800mhz computer because I wanted to quickley try some things out, and I was left with an impression that I do not like at all. I'm sure that if I read through the documentation I could've found out how to open the thing up to me more, but I didn't like having to sudo nearly every command to get the thing to work. I'd much rather just su in and issue commands that way. Also, Ubuntu's forums are not nearly as informative as Gentoo's. So, I suppose if I had bothered to rtfm it would've been a better experience, but for my needs for the computer, I guess Linux in general won't do as I need specific Windows-compatible programs because I can't be around to tell my extended family how programs X, Y, and Z are different from Microsoft's A, B, and C.

Now if I could only figure out how to install a Dell OEM version of Windows XP Home on a non-Dell computer, I'd be set. Especially since I do *not* want to hook up anything with Windows ME to the internet....

You aren't allowd to. The Dell oem license is only valid for your Dell computer :x Maybe you can use PCLinux which works great out of the box (I got a lot of friends + extended family hooked to it :))

Here's the download link, I would go for the bigdaddy edition:
http://www.pclinuxos.com/page.php?7
Sunnz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HXC wrote:
Another very import issue is security:

-Debian only provides security updates for it's main apt repository (en to some extent Etch main)
-openSUSE / Fedora / Mandriva requires to install third party repositories, with no official security support. (I think the same goes
for Ubuntu).

With Gentoo everything comes in a very complete repository with no real need (dvd, mp3, flash, java all is working out of the box) for a overlay
How about features such as... kernel security levels provided in FreeBSD? These are much more powerful than simple run-levels since they allow the administrator to completely deny access to certain operating system functions such as reading /dev/mem, changing file system flags, or writing to disks without mounting a filesystem.
sargek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Switching Reply with quote

I bounce distros whenever I'm not in class, which means every few months or so. I have run every major distro and quite a few unheard of ones. I always come back to Gentoo because it gives me power and flexibility. The only reason I move away from Gentoo temporarily is because I have b0rked something and don't feel like rebuilding the box. I used to usually run Debian Etch when not running Gentoo, but got tired of the convoluted "Debian way" of doing things, which is completely bizzare and unintuitive.

I hope to stick with Gentoo this time and try to keep my prying hands from breaking something... 8O. I really don't like other distros because either they abstract everything to death, not allowing me to actually do anything, except use it, or there is something else that annoys the crap out of me. I'm happy where I am - besides, there is just something beautiful about watching multiple xterms compile stuff... :lol:

The only other system I would consider running is FreeBSD, but I need to be able to run Neverwinter Nights...not sure if it will run in FBSD. Printing for me is hosed in FBSD also, but I'm sure I could fix that...
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bertaboy wrote:
I'd much rather just su in

You can: sudo su and enter your password (not root's). Easy.
linuxfriese1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulBredbury wrote:
bertaboy wrote:
I'd much rather just su in

You can: sudo su and enter your password (not root's). Easy.

Even easier: sudo -i, optionally with an -u <user> argument if a root shell isn't desired.
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Switching Reply with quote

sargek wrote:
I bounce distros whenever I'm not in class, which means every few months or so. I have run every major distro and quite a few unheard of ones. I always come back to Gentoo because it gives me power and flexibility. The only reason I move away from Gentoo temporarily is because I have b0rked something and don't feel like rebuilding the box. I used to usually run Debian Etch when not running Gentoo, but got tired of the convoluted "Debian way" of doing things, which is completely bizzare and unintuitive.

I hope to stick with Gentoo this time and try to keep my prying hands from breaking something... 8O. I really don't like other distros because either they abstract everything to death, not allowing me to actually do anything, except use it, or there is something else that annoys the crap out of me. I'm happy where I am - besides, there is just something beautiful about watching multiple xterms compile stuff... :lol:

Ha LOL! Very recognizable :wink:. Especially the Debian part, don't try to understand just do it! seems to be their motto. I have bought and read two books about Debian (Debian bible & the Debian system). And still I don't know near as much about my system then with a cli gentoo install :?.
sargek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Switching Reply with quote

HXC wrote:

Ha LOL! Very recognizable :wink:. Especially the Debian part, don't try to understand just do it! seems to be their motto. I have bought and read two books about Debian (Debian bible & the Debian system). And still I don't know near as much about my system then with a cli gentoo install :?.

Good to know I'm not the only one with that impression. I got slammed on the Debian forums because "you'll break your system" if you don't do it the Debian way. I got so pissed I switched back to Gentoo where I understand everything. Well, not everything, but you know what I mean. Break my system - how the %^#* can building my own kernel module manually, break my system?

Yeah, Debian was OK, but it's not Gentoo. I am not crazy about compile times, but I use ccache and tmpfs in RAM for emerge and things speed up considerably, so I can wait the few minutes for something to build. I'll give up some time for the power and flexibility anyday, rather than listen to a bunch of people telling me "you'll shoot your eye out!"... 8O
Rukie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

switch? who'd wanna switch :o

If I had to switch, probably suse...

I'm fine running gentoo, especially since I have about 3-4 personal computers running it. If one has to update, I've got another one around here to play with while it compiles.. (If only I knew how to sync personal files from computer to computer...)
LukeLemmings
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows + colinux (+some distro) + cygwin.

For a desktop ofcourse.

Running colinux-debian on windows with cygwin as the X server left a good impression with me. Ok you need 2 GNU/Linuxi + windows to run a windows desktop with all your Linux apps available via the seamlessly displayed kde panel, but damn it's good.

Best of both worlds.
L.
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Switching Reply with quote

sargek wrote:
HXC wrote:

Good to know I'm not the only one with that impression. I got slammed on the Debian forums because "you'll break your system" if you don't do it the Debian way. I got so pissed I switched back to Gentoo where I understand everything. Well, not everything, but you know what I mean. Break my system - how the %^#* can building my own kernel module manually, break my system?

Yeah, Debian was OK, but it's not Gentoo. I am not crazy about compile times, but I use ccache and tmpfs in RAM for emerge and things speed up considerably, so I can wait the few minutes for something to build. I'll give up some time for the power and flexibility anyday, rather than listen to a bunch of people telling me "you'll shoot your eye out!"... 8O

Debian doesn't even have official forums :roll:. Just for fun try suggesting a website improvement for debian.org on their mailinglists, step back ignore the insults and laugh your ass off while they defend their website vigoursly. My god what is that website ugly and unessecary complicated. On a more positive note; I really love the quicknes of installing things on Debian. I would favor installing KDEbase in 10 minutes above compiling it for two hours anyday. Oh well. I might as well figure out how to set up distcc an build my own renderfarm :P
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rukie wrote:
(If only I knew how to sync personal files from computer to computer...)
One way would be to use rsync (net-misc/rsync), as described in the Gentoo Wiki article TIP Fast Copy.

Quote:
Insanely fast with rsync

rsync -a source <user>@<host>:<somedir>
rsync -a <user>@<host>:<somedir> <localdir>

--question for clarification: why do say rsync copies are so insanely fast? i noticed them to be very slow on the first (creating) run ...
-- answer: rsync compares the files on both computers (e.g. by last modified timestamp) and only copies if anything has changed. That's also why your portagetree update (emerge sync) is as fast as it is: rsync only downloads the packages that have changed. Why else it would be named rsync (synchronise)? ;-)

--note: Use tar over ssh to begin with (if you need the initial run to be fast), then use rsync to keep up to date. Rsync doens't keep and doen't need metadata to work, there is no prerequisite for files to be transported initially using rsync.

In other words, it's only faster when there's going to be some data that can be omitted. A fresh copy will always be slower.
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I ever ditched Gentoo from either my main box or my server, I'd probably go back to Debian (the only other distro I've used, and the one that got me started on Linux back in 1997) - but at this time I see no need. The Imp of the Perverse perched on my shoulder does sometimes hanker after it though.
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After using gentoo for about 4 years, I now find that any other distro (debian is one of the best) horribly cumbersome.
dlublink
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I left Gentoo it would be because of a lack of binaries available in portage. I like Gentoo because it is always up to date, but have not yet found another distro that is as up to date that has the option to choose between binaries and sources.

I think that instead of using openoffice-bin to install a binary, there should be an option to portage. That way, I could enable the option in make.conf on the slower machines and than gentoo would automatically install Bins were available.

David
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is the option there, but there's no offical binary respitory.
dlublink
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlublink wrote:
If I left Gentoo it would be because of a lack of binaries available in portage. I like Gentoo because it is always up to date, but have not yet found another distro that is as up to date that has the option to choose between binaries and sources.

I think that instead of using openoffice-bin to install a binary, there should be an option to portage. That way, I could enable the option in make.conf on the slower machines and than gentoo would automatically install Bins were available.

David

But I understand why they won't do binaries, it's because of the USE flags. Imagine having a binary for each combination of USE flags and compile options for each system... I suppose this is why I get better performance with Gentoo as compared to other distributions.

David
Sunnz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlublink wrote:
dlublink wrote:

David

But I understand why they won't do binaries, it's because of the USE flags. Imagine having a binary for each combination of USE flags and compile options for each system... I suppose this is why I get better performance with Gentoo as compared to other distributions.

David
That does not make sense... really... you don't find openoffice-bin provided for very combination, neither do firefox-bin. If people want to customise or otherwise optimise their app, they can take the time to compiler it, just like on any distros.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the distro release people just compile features they think the majority of people will use.

Fortunatly Gentoos method for handling self-compiled packages is a tincy wincy bit better than the others.
sargek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think the whole point of Gentoo is compiling your own packages, with your own optimizations. Binaries defeat that purpose. I am guessing Gentoo provides binaries for a couple of large, popular packages so people don't have to compile them - can't say for sure, just a guess. Gentoo is a source distro, not a binary distro. Maybe that sums it up. Am I stating the obvious?
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HXC wrote:
bertaboy wrote:

You aren't allowd to. The Dell oem license is only valid for your Dell computer :x Maybe you can use PCLinux which works great out of the box (I got a lot of friends + extended family hooked to it :))

Here's the download link, I would go for the bigdaddy edition:
http://www.pclinuxos.com/page.php?7

Meh. I have Windows XP Pro on the Dell computer and Home on a parts computer. Turns out that it's just that the CD isn't bootable, so I needed to use 6 floppies to boot the damn thing up so it could load the CD. After that I had about 10-15 files that the computer couldn't copy from the CD, but Windows works, kind of. Now I've got other problems with XP Home because the damn computer won't let me use runas to run programs under the administrator profile (The one actually named Administrator, not the default user profile) and I ended up jumping through hoops to get the default profile out of the administrator group and into the normal user group. Now I can't log in as administrator or run any programs like msconfig, regedit, or control userpasswords2.... In other words, I never realized how much Microsoft crippled XP Pro, which is a very acceptable operating system when set up properly, when they released XP Home.

Edit:

I found a solution. If you hold F8 before Windows starts loading up you call up a boot menu that allows you to boot up pretty much any way you'll ever need to boot Windows.
breakerfall
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd chip in too...

If I was going to switch - well... it would almost certainly be to a binary distribution. In fact, I recently got a laptop, and for convenience and such, I installed ubuntu to give it a whirl. I like it, though I've found myself now installing gentoo, just two weeks later. Why? I think, mainly, familiarity with the way gentoo does things. I haven't spent much time with debian, so it's almost alien to me. Also, with the disk I used, it installed a chunk of packages without giving me the option, so my ubuntu install was filled with fluff.

However, I absolutely loved the fact that I booted up for the first time in ubuntu, my ipw3945 internal wifi was already setup and ready to use, ivman and plugdev was fully setup, power management and cpu frequency scaling were already there and working... and best of all, anything I installed - took very little time. Pretty much just the time to download the binary. And that's why I would switch to a binary distro. I'm so used to the gentoo way of doing things and the actual OS, that I want to use it. I know gentoo. If it's actually possible to install something like aptitude on gentoo, then I'd be the happiest guy around. Seriously. I have to look into that. But really, I install something and it's there! Quick! No compile times. :mrgreen:
shickapooka800
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest, for my desktop at least, I switched to slackware. slamd64 to be excact (for amd64).

it is well put together, and just feels like home. I don't ever really care about the version of most of the apps and libs on my machine, so feverishly upgrading using a package manager is nonexistent. I havent even installed some of the third party package managers like slapt-get or even portage. slackware had most of what I needed in the install discs, and once I compiled my own kernel, and a few choice apps I can't live without, I was done. unless I see a really enormous security hole that bothers me, my install will stay like this for a while.

slackware has always been, to me, such a relaxing distro (I know, many of you don't belive me). gentoo has actually struck me as more of a server distro now, just by the way things are handled by the dev community. it allows for an incredible self-automated up to date, and reliable system in capable hands.

I would NOT however run slackware on a server... that is asking for frustration.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 10 of 36

Jump to: