splashutils setup
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cromulent413
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: splashutils setup Reply with quote

I emerged splasutils today, and I am having a problem getting it set up and running properly.

Firstly, I am using vesafb-tng compiled in my kernel, and the nvidia drivers. I also have 'logo' enabled in the kernel as well, and Tux appears in the upper left hand of the screen fine when I boot up.

I installed splashutils, and did as prescribed on the splashutils FAQ site:

Code:

Install splashutils and some sample themes:
   # emerge splashutils
   # emerge splash-themes-livecd splash-themes-gentoo

Create an initramfs image for fbsplash:
   # splash_geninitramfs -v -g /boot/fbsplash-emergence-1024x768 -r 1024x768 emergence

Configure your bootloader: (instructions for grub)
   # cd /boot/grub

and here's my grub.conf file:

Code:

default 0
timeout 30

splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux Full Custom 01
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/Full-Custom-01 root=/dev/hda3 video=vesafb-tng:1024x768-32@85 splash=silent,theme:emergence
initrd /boot/fbsplash-emergence-1024x768

Now, when I boot up not only does the splashimage not load, but the screen resolution doesn't change either, it stays at 640x480. I haven't seen an error pop up or anything, and the machine boots up perfectly fine.

I am assuming that this is because 'logo' is enabled, would that be the cause of it? Or, is there something else I need to compile into my kernel? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as always.

Thank you!

-Cromulent
psychomunky
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am using vesa-tng, and I think your problem is very simple to fix. Instead of:

Code:

video=vesafb-tng:1024x768-32@85

try:

Code:

video=vesafb:1024x768-32@85

this should switch you to the right resolution at least. You may also need to add the mtrr and ywrap options to the video=param for best results. Here is the config I use for my nVidia based card, and I have no problems:

Code:

title=Gentoo (Current Kernel)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 splash=silent,fadein,theme:Gentoo-Grey video=vesafb:mtrr:3,ywrap,1024x768-32@60 quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
initrd /fbsplash

The quiet option in there is a personal choice, it stops the splash from disappeaing if there are problems on boot. I use it because a whil back I had an init script that insisted on writing to stderr and caused the splash to disappear (I know I could've fixed the init script, but I was newb then), and I got used to it. CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 allows me to still get at the console even though quiet is turned on.
cromulent413
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psychomunky - thank you very much for your advice, but switching that vesa setting won't work, I alreadt tried it, and I got the "video mode not supported" message on my monitor, I apologize, I should have mentioned that.

Any pother ideas?

Thank you again for your help ;)

-Cromulent
santiago
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you added splash to default runlevel?
have you configured /etc/conf.d/splash to use the theme you want?

I don't use vesafb-tng, but I have the option vga=788 to use 800x600 resolution you may want to try with vga=791 in your case.

I create the initramfs image with genkernel, this way:
Code:
genkernel --gensplash=<mytheme> initrd

It works for me, this is my grub config for gentoo entry
Code:
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.18-gentoo-r1 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda6 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr vga=788 splash=silent,theme:livecd-2006.1 quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 udev
initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.18-gentoo-r1
cromulent413
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

santiago - thank you, I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning and I'll leet a'l know how it goes :)

-C
psychomunky
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cromulent413, if you are indeed using vesa-tng, then I am not certain the vga= lines will work (try it though, they seem to work for santiago). It amy be a problem with listign too high of a refresh, or listing a mode that your video BIOS can't support via VBE (VESA BIOS Extensions).

I looked again at the vesa= line I posted for your to try, and I am thinking that it is something that your video card does not support directly in VBE mode (basically in it's BIOS). I had a look at spock's website (the dude that wrote vesa-tng) and found the following way to figure out which vesa resolutions your card can support in the vesa-tng driver:

Code:
$ cat /proc/fb0/modes

I had to look this up when my LCD's native resolution of 1440x900 wasn't working and vesa-tng reverted back to 640x480 on me.

Also I found this note on the main vesa-tng page:

NOTE: After patching the kernel, setting modes the old vga= way WILL NOT WORK. You'll have to specify the mode you want to set through the video option, for example: video=vesafb:ypan,1024x768-32@85.

NOTE: The driver name used in the video= kernel command line section is still vesafb, and not vesafb-tng. Thus, video=vesafb-tng:1024x768-32@85 is invalid, video=vesafb:1024x768-32@86 being the proper form.

Also make certain you have FB support built into your kernel. What you need enabled is variable, depending upon you video card. Perhaps you can let us know your video card model??
cromulent413
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] splashutils setup Reply with quote

Thank you guys for your help, I was able to fix the problem I was having.

I didn't compile the necessary vesafb-tng resolution into my kernel, which led to a default resolution of 800x600, and of course, there's no 800x600 images for the theme I wanted to use. I did a re-compile, with the appropriate vesafb-tng resolution selected: 1024x768@72 and I also enabled event interface, and re-compiled the kernel. Then added the slpash to my run-level, and copied over a new initrafs to the /boot partition and updated grub. Everything worked after that!

Thanks again for your help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: