Rhythmbox stutters while playing
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strukt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Rhythmbox stutters while playing Reply with quote

Hi,

I finally managed to get Rhythmbox to play a .mp3 file after hours of searching the forums to initially get the application up and running, but when playing the music stutters badly!

Im really at a loss here, i cant figure out whats wrong. The strange thing is that mpg123 works fine, perfect sound, also when playing quake3 the sound is perfect.

I have tried using the Alsa drivers, and the kernel drivers without any change.
I have tried selecting / deselecting ESD in the sound preferences without any change.
I have read the forums, added more use variables and re-emerged packages without any change there too.

I use Gnome.

Any of you have some tips? I dont know what info to provide you so just shout out and i will try and be as helpful as possible.

Oh, and i also tried the Audacious player, when i play a mp3 file in that application it sounds like its playing in slow-motion, kind of. If that have anything to do with... anything?
guyr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just unmerged everything related to xmms, and emerged rhythmbox. I'm also encountering stuttering while playing MP3s. They played okay under xmms, and I just fired up Totem, and they play okay under that. If it matters, I recorded them using lame with ABR = 320 Kbps.

[EDIT} After posting, I searched the forums for "ryhthmbox" and amongst the results I found a post that discussed "skipping". Wondering if that was the same thing as "stuttering", I tried the suggested solution, and it works!

In your home directory, create a file .asoundrc containing the following line:

defaults.pcm.dmix_max_periods -1
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: