Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
portage hosed my system, THANKS Gentoo!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rokstar83
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot the new portage option in make.conf

Code:
BORK=no

I kid I kid... But seriously the -a and -p options for emerge exist for a reason. If you haven't upgraded in over a year and a half the odds that something silly will happen is gonna be pretty likely. I don't doubt your technical abilities however you need to look and see whats going on. Major GCC and glibc upgrades are bound to cause problems. Upstream packages split and drivers changed names. Gentoo requires work, no doubt about it. From the sounds of it you might be better off with a different distribution that tends to ease new packages in nicely if you don't want to deal with Gentoo's dynamic nature.
tpf80
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: updates Reply with quote

Personally, every time I update something, or emerge a new package, I use the --pretend flag first to see whats going to happen. I then look at the results and decide if I really want to do the update or not. This is one of the many things I like about portage.

I have even had windows updates break something in a M$ system before, installing a .dll file that caused me to have to search on the web for an old dll file to put in its place.

Other distros and windows cause you to have to reinstall a new version of the OS for major upgrades, so they have it a little bit easier when it comes to updating things. How often do you have an old version of fedora, and the package manager limits your highest version of something unless you install the newer version of the OS? How many Windows users still can get updates for windows NT?

On gentoo you don't have this problem, as long as you learn how to use the tools.

End result: Pick your poison and learn about your system. If you like easy updates and want to just reinstall a new version every so often, then go with a binary system. If you want to not have to reinstall your whole system every so often and have to be more careful with major upgrades, then go with the source distro.

The choice is yours.
voidzero
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all to the thread poster: you suck! Go get XP and feel happy.

Some people in here seem to think "i'm working with computers" without realising there are actually human developers that spend a lot of their time into Gentoo, which for most devs I reckon is just a hobby. Ofcourse you can expect flaws. Flaws occur everywhere. So do changes of opinion; remember back in the day when EFNet and IRCNet split into two seperate networks (1996)?

So, imo this thread sucks beyond suckage, and should be closed. Nuff said.
W3BMAST3R101
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For distros like Gentoo you should read a lot of the docs and probably subscribe to the newsletter. Maximum configurability means you have to configure it.
red-wolf76
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the attitude. In Germany they sell satirical T-Shirts "Ich bin scheiße! Du bist Schuld" which roughly translates into "I suck. And it's all your fault!"... We should get the OP one of those. :roll:

A computer systems engineer that works with Gentoo/portage and doesn't use --pretend? :lol: That's a laugh if there ever was one... I'm hardly a computer buff, in fact, I'm a lawyer, but so far, I've never had my system borked by anyone else but me pressing enter after typing in a completely braindead command. :oops: It wasn't portage that pressed the button or entered that command, but me. Also, there weren't any gentoo devs behind me holding a gun to my noggin' trying to force me to do whatever it was that caused the borkage...

Incidentally one of my boxen hasn't yet had the dreaded expat upgrade. I remember there being a thread about it, but my search didn't find it yet. I'll hit the docs next, but if someone might direct me, I'd be very much obliged.

EDIT: Don't worry, found it. revdep-rebuild --library libexpat.so.0 should fix the problem. Don't we just love Gentoo! :wink:

Use sane CFLAGS! If for no other reason, do it for the lulz!
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voidzero wrote:

I couldn't agree more. The OP is in fact putting down some of Gentoo's improvements over the past 1.5 years plus he tried to do a major gcc upgrade inside of a world merge. Not very bright.
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to run into a problem where i have no idea even remotely what is wrong. i think it would be interesting, but everything just works here or is a simple fix i can figure out by just looking at what happened....
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnevers wrote:
voidzero wrote:

I couldn't agree more. The OP is in fact putting down some of Gentoo's improvements over the past 1.5 years plus he tried to do a major gcc upgrade inside of a world merge. Not very bright.

++

You don't just leave your system in a stale state for years, do a blind emerge -u world and expect everything to work no problem, if that's what you want then use Windows or Ubuntu (even at that updates regularly break things anyway). The first thing the OP did wrong was break their glibc and toolchain by not paying attention.
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[rant]
Normally i would never answer to a thread like this, but... :twisted:
@OP:
You never did a emerge -uD world in 1 1/2 years?
You never bothered reading GWN or this forum because of some really problematic updates like GCC or X11?
Well, what should i say without getting banned?
This really sucks, i am so bored from all these "gentoo sucks" threads.
Again, RTFM and ask your questions right here.
I personally had also troubles with updating to modular X11 but it aint nothing gentoo-related at all. Updating from GCC-3x to 4x was also well discussed here. These forum helped me out.
A few weeks ago i updated my entire system to ~x86 and must say:
It works better than it ever has done before. I just got what i expected, a bleeding edge Linux-system under my full control.
So, if you can't get along, stop using gentoo and use any binary distro out there.
[/rant]
Sorry, just could not resist...
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original thread is from 2006, so i guess there's really no need to necromance the whole drama.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: