Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
portage hosed my system, THANKS Gentoo!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
csb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: portage hosed my system, THANKS Gentoo! Reply with quote

Maybe somebody in the gentoo community who gives a damn, will care enough to raise a red flag on this whole "portage" junk.

I've been using gentoo for a while now... my current system has been up for about a year and half... until tonight.

So, I apparently slacked off a bit and haven't updated my system in a while. No big deal (or so I thought) ... emerge --sync, then emerge --update world --pretend ... ok, WTF. Got a bunch of blocked packages... turns out to be the whole "lets fuck up X11" upgrade that nobody sent me the memo on.

So, I follow the directions and proceed to destroy my X11 system. Great. Let's call this "detour #1".

After Detour #1, X wouldn't run. Bunch of broken shit involved, so I figured, what the heck... I'll just continue updating my system figuring that the 175 outdated packages were probably contributing to the whole "X is borked" problem.

Well, emerge --update world failed for a second time... on this one, it bitched about the nvidia-glx not being available any longer.

Ok, back to the documentation... I then found out that I had to unmerge nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel, then emerge nvidia-drivers. Great, lets call this "detour #2".

Then, back to theh emerge --update world ... had to resolve a few more blocked packages for whatever unknown reason. After that, the update appeared to be going well... for a little while. Then, portage decided to merge gcc 4.1.1 (up from 3.4.6) ... after which, it then failed to compile glibc.

Well great... back to the documentation. Apparently, there's some other stuff that has to be done in order to upgrade to gcc 4.1.1 ... but hell, that didn't stop portage from merging it anyway!!

... and that's the end of the sytem. My installation of Gentoo, is now officially fucked. THANKS PORTAGE! (boots sortof, no networking, can't login, dead in the water)

SO REALLY. MAYBE I HAVE A POORLY CONCEIVED NOTION OF WHAT PORTAGE IS SUPPOSED TO DO, but I'm going to ask the following questions from the standpoint of USER FRIENDLINESS and USEABILITY and FUNCTIONALITY.

1. If a major change in the distro occurs, (such as the switch to modular X), why does portage just throw a bunch of error messages instead of actually conducting the update???

2. Same for the nvidia-glx to nvidia-drivers switch... why doesn't portage just preform the appropriate update?

3. WHY, WHY on earth does portage willingly break an entire system by upgrading GCC, then failing to complete the process DURING an emerge --update world????

4. Why are there detours?? Why does portage die in the middle of an update, without much of a clue about *why*, leaving me on my own to go research the problem, only to discover that there is some sort of manual upgrade I have to conduct?? (such as the X11 switch, the GCC upgrade, etc.) ... makes absolutely no sense in my mind.

5. Is it possible that anyone in gentoo land can get over the command line portage love fest?? How about this ingenious idea: There should be an update button. User clicks it. System updates. Progress bar. Done. OR, is that not complicated enough?

Oddly, I've been a good advocate for gentoo over the past few years. But that all changed tonight. To be at least fair, I'll say that I've never been quite fond of portage. Seems as though it's an over engineered solution to a simple problem. BUT, for destroying my system... that takes the prize!

(!gentoo), here I come.
mach.82
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have been using Gentoo for the past year and a half and this is your very first posting, where were you in the past year and a half? Gentoo is a committee whereby we help each other and whereby thing changes real fast! Many of the decisions (for better or worse) are made because Linux the OS itself is also a moving target. I ran into the same problem upgrading but if the system is too old, I simply format the drive and start over.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad about your system, but this could be fixed without a lot of trouble still, too bad you left.

csb wrote:
5. Is it possible that anyone in gentoo land can get over the command line portage love fest?? How about this ingenious idea: There should be an update button. User clicks it. System updates. Progress bar. Done. OR, is that not complicated enough?

Considering this is usually just a GUI frontend to backend command line tools, this wouldn't change much for these issues.
(On other distros it's the same thing, GUIs to RPM, apt-get, etc)

Obviously you don't really want help and just wanted to get you frustration out as you left as noted by the first line about anyone giving a damn. (Sure makes me want to help)
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since he had to create a new forum logon to post this, it probably means he hasn't bothered with reading either the forums or the GWN in many months. If he had, he would not have been caught by surprise.
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Portage & Programming to Gentoo Chat.
rambam
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: portage hosed my system, THANKS Gentoo! Reply with quote

csb wrote:
Maybe somebody in the gentoo community who gives a damn, will care enough to raise a red flag on this whole "portage" junk.

I've been using gentoo for a while now... my current system has been up for about a year and half... until tonight.

So, I apparently slacked off a bit and haven't updated my system in a while.

While you were away, Gentoo turned into a hobbyist system for boy ricers, developed by wannabes.
Yes, it really has become that flaky.

I am typing this from a lap top because my desktop has been killed yet again by another emerge.
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed some important steps in your update process, especially when updating such an "old" install. Namely, you should check both the forums and the GWN newsletters - these are important communication tools that the community uses for passing on information like "you need to be careful when updating because...".

Alternatively, you could have just posted a message asking "I haven't updated my system in <timespan> - are there any important updates that I should be aware of?" (or asked on irc).

Gentoo isn't a "push button - works by magic" system. Gentoo, in my opinion, is a high maintainance distro designed for control freaks who like to know exactly what's going on in their system. This is why portage doesn't automagically switch packages or automagically perform a gcc update (beyond the fact that coding a successful automagic gcc update would be an absolutely horrible task considering it includes re-emerging system, then world). Additionally, when people update their gcc package they don't always want to use it as their primary compiler - this is part of Gentoo's system of choice and giving the user ultimate control.
jstead1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. If a major change in the distro occurs, (such as the switch to modular X), why does portage just throw a bunch of error messages instead of actually conducting the update???

Gentoo is about choice. You might not want to switch to modular X quite yet because package xyz isn't compatible. User intervention, and knowledge is required. This isn't secret knowledge, unless you expect personal messages mailed to you from the developers concerning the impact of the change on your system.

Quote:
2. Same for the nvidia-glx to nvidia-drivers switch... why doesn't portage just preform the appropriate update?

Same answer

Quote:
3. WHY, WHY on earth does portage willingly break an entire system by upgrading GCC, then failing to complete the process DURING an emerge --update world????

Portage didn't break it, you did. There is a certain amount of interaction required with a distribution like Gentoo. You get to make the decisions, but this requires knowledge to make choices to suit your needs. Other distributions make the decisions for you. When they want to do a GCC upgrade, you get a whole new system. That is an excellent method if you are willing to accept their decisions, which are probably good for 90% of the people, 90% of the time. I like 100%, so I use Gentoo and get what I want about 99.44% of the time.

Quote:
4. Why are there detours?? Why does portage die in the middle of an update, without much of a clue about *why*, leaving me on my own to go research the problem, only to discover that there is some sort of manual upgrade I have to conduct?? (such as the X11 switch, the GCC upgrade, etc.) ... makes absolutely no sense in my mind.

The manual intervention comes when there is a choice to be made (I see a theme here). Blocking packages are an excellent example. Some packages cannot co-exist. You have xyz installed and you have another package that wants abc, which cannot exist with xyz. You can't have both, so either you decide, or the distro has to decide for you.

Quote:

You could have a GUI (there are some), but you still have the same choices to make.

I can't understand why you would install Gentoo in the first place. When I looked into using Gentoo all I heard was, you will need to be comfortable using the the command line, you will need to know your system, you will need to read the instructions, you will need to use the forums.

It's like buying a 5 speed sports car, and complaining about having to shift all the time, and steer, and push the gas pedal, and put gas in. I never had to do all this when I took the train.
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds suspiciously like a troll post. It includes all the packages that people have had trouble updating over the past year or so. And any gentoo user is well aware of the ardurous procedure of upgrading the toolchain and the caution that needs to be taken before attempting it.

Either the OP is just trying to create trouble or hasn't touched his install in over a year, in which case, non-trivial updates are going to be hairy, especially in a source based distribution. :roll:
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningwithscissors wrote:
This sounds suspiciously like a troll post. It includes all the packages that people have had trouble updating over the past year or so. And any gentoo user is well aware of the ardurous procedure of upgrading the toolchain and the caution that needs to be taken before attempting it.

Either the OP is just trying to create trouble or hasn't touched his install in over a year, in which case, non-trivial updates are going to be hairy, especially in a source based distribution. :roll:

Of course it, but that is the new tread here on the forums. Instead of helping others we get to waste time getting frustrated by all these Gentoo is the worst distro threads. I think the the GLI was a bad step for Gentoo in that it is bringing new users to Gentoo that aren't prepared to run this distro also.

rambam wrote:
csb wrote:

While you were away, Gentoo turned into a hobbyist system for boy ricers, developed by wannabes.
Yes, it really has become that flaky.

So flaky == running a year and a half without problems? :P
wah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headrush wrote:
So flaky == running a year and a half without problems? :P

LOL - if I could only get such uptime with my other (binary-based) b0xen! Flaky=stable? Hmmm....

OP wrote:

Update Button = Ubuntu
Fine Control over System = Gentoo
News of Major Updates / Switches / etc = GWN

I dunno, I've always considered
Code:
# emerge -avuDN world
as my "Easy Button".
- Registered Linux User #418541
csb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yabbadabbadont wrote:
Since he had to create a new forum logon to post this, it probably means he hasn't bothered with reading either the forums or the GWN in many months. If he had, he would not have been caught by surprise.

First of all, I've been running Gentoo for well over 2 years. I've posted in these forums before, but not in a long while (forgot my previous account). But somehow, I knew that someone would mention my new forum account as though it were the reason why my system broke. Gosh, couldn't have been that portage is inherently flawed!! Must be that new forum account. Yeah, that's the problem.

How about the "it should just work" pholosophy? You know, it's possible to have a distro like Gentoo that can be "riced" and tweaked constantly, but it can also "just work". It doesn't have to be broken all the time. Gentoo was once like that, back when it was a more popular distribution. (tweaking and fixing should be optional, not mandatory) Unfortunately, it's not that way any longer -- why would anyone want to keep using a distro that constantly breaks itself, and requires constant upkeep?? Yet, you all wonder why I hadn't updated in 8 months! Insane.

Stepping away from the sarcasm ... I do honestly appreciate the other replies in this thread, especially those that want to help. I simply posted my experience here, NOT to cause frustration, but to get you people to think about where this distro is going (along with it's inherent design flaws). I'm not going to fix my broken gentoo system, just so that it will break again in the future - I'm moving on to another distro.

But that's the awesome part of Linux - the ability to have different distributions that meet the needs of the users. In the case of Gentoo, it's clearly a distro for people who just want to fix their systems all day long. I enjoy tweaking my system, BUT I also enjoy getting productivity from it!! GASP! Yeah, I actually *use* my system to get work done - so, I'll use a distro designed for people who actually use their computer.
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csb wrote:
But that's the awesome part of Linux - the ability to have different distributions that meet the needs of the users. In the case of Gentoo, it's clearly a distro for people who just want to fix their systems all day long. I enjoy tweaking my system, BUT I also enjoy getting productivity from it!! GASP! Yeah, I actually *use* my system to get work done - so, I'll use a distro designed for people who actually use their computer.

Indeed.
Showing concern over problems and asking for solutions is one thing. Branding people who use Gentoo as unproductive ricers is another.
I am sure the feeling of putting distance between each other among both parties is mutual.
So now, please get on with "productive work" instead of flaming everyone over the forums.
And good luck with your new distro.
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csb wrote:
yabbadabbadont wrote:

First of all, I've been running Gentoo for well over 2 years. I've posted in these forums before, but not in a long while (forgot my previous account). But somehow, I knew that someone would mention my new forum account as though it were the reason why my system broke. Gosh, couldn't have been that portage is inherently flawed!! Must be that new forum account. Yeah, that's the problem.

How about the "it should just work" pholosophy? You know, it's possible to have a distro like Gentoo that can be "riced" and tweaked constantly, but it can also "just work". It doesn't have to be broken all the time. Gentoo was once like that, back when it was a more popular distribution. (tweaking and fixing should be optional, not mandatory) Unfortunately, it's not that way any longer -- why would anyone want to keep using a distro that constantly breaks itself, and requires constant upkeep?? Yet, you all wonder why I hadn't updated in 8 months! Insane.

Here we go! First of all, Gentoo Linux does pretty much "Just Work". If you "rice" it, so to speak, and expect it to work, than you are mistaken. If you follow the instructions and don't mind getting your hands dirty, mostly everything (except CUPS on my computer) "just works" with the default settings (although I always change them, just to see what happens).

csb wrote:

Stepping away from the sarcasm ... I do honestly appreciate the other replies in this thread, especially those that want to help. I simply posted my experience here, NOT to cause frustration, but to get you people to think about where this distro is going (along with it's inherent design flaws). I'm not going to fix my broken gentoo system, just so that it will break again in the future - I'm moving on to another distro.

But that's the awesome part of Linux - the ability to have different distributions that meet the needs of the users.

True.
csb wrote:
In the case of Gentoo, it's clearly a distro for people who just want to fix their systems all day long.

Monster fail.
csb wrote:

I enjoy tweaking my system, BUT I also enjoy getting productivity from it!! GASP! Yeah, I actually *use* my system to get work done - so, I'll use a distro designed for people who actually use their computer.

I... GASP! *use* my "unstable" Gentoo systems for everything. Administrating it is not difficult. And Gentoo lets me build my system the way I want it so I CAN *use* it the way I want.

If you don't want to use it, go on and get a binary distro. Source distros aren't for everyone. Every system has its flaws, Gentoo included. If you don't like Gentoo's flaws, then go ahead and move to another distro.

I would use the blanket statement, "you'll be back, they always come back" (mostly because I left Gentoo for the same reason twice and came back) but whatever. See you later! :wink:
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csb wrote:
I do honestly appreciate the other replies in this thread, especially those that want to help.

Don't blame yabbadabbdont as your OP sounded entirely like a rant and nothing more. You never asked for help, even though many of us would gladly have tried to help. I know you might be frustrated, but starting a post talking about if anyone gives a damn is unlikely to encourage people wanting to help.
And frankly I'm guessing a lot of users don't care since their systems are fine and don't want to be bothered. (not a Gentoo thing, just people.)

csb wrote:
I simply posted my experience here, NOT to cause frustration, but to get you people to think about where this distro is going (along with it's inherent design flaws).

A lot of people don't appreciate your post because users are getting tired of hearing people saying how they need to enlighten us about Gentoo's problems. Obviously if you have been in the forums under a different name you know you haven't mentioned anything new and these same "enlightenment" threads are just getting redundant. Gentoo is going through some pains and growing and many things are being developed/changed to help better serve the users, but all these threads are doing is just wearing down and frustrating users who are here trying to help others.

And be honest, read the language and attitude of your OP post, you weren't posting to enlighten anyone. :)

Last edited by Headrush on Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it that so many people managed to upgrade without problems, yet you have a problem, and that makes portage junk? (nobody has claimed portage is perfect and doesn't need improvement)

YOU hosed your system. I understand venting from frustration, thats fine. If you'd like to fix your problem, do so in an appropriate thread asking for help.
wah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
How is it that so many people managed to upgrade without problems, yet you have a problem, and that makes portage junk? (nobody has claimed portage is perfect and doesn't need improvement)

YOU hosed your system. I understand venting from frustration, thats fine. If you'd like to fix your problem, do so in an appropriate thread asking for help.

Amen! I ask myself that every time I see something like this
- Registered Linux User #418541
csb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:

I hosed my system?? I did?? Are you kidding me? # emerge --update world ... guess that's my fault, you're right. Get the stick out of your ass.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csb wrote:
I hosed my system?? I did?? Are you kidding me? # emerge --update world ... guess that's my fault, you're right. Get the stick out of your ass.

IMHO its comments and attitudes like that that hurt this community more than anything portage is capable of doing.

csb wrote:
Got a bunch of blocked packages... turns out to be the whole "lets fuck up X11" upgrade that nobody sent me the memo on.

So, I follow the directions and proceed to destroy my X11 system. Great. Let's call this "detour #1".

I think the point is this was an easy fix even if you didn't know it. Why not ask for help instead of call the system crap and moving forward?
(You never explained what destroyed meant anyways, that could be anything from a blocked package, compile error, or a human mistake by you.)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csb wrote:
I hosed my system?? I did?? Are you kidding me? # emerge --update world ... guess that's my fault, you're right.
Yes, you did. "emerge --update world" was never intended to be done blindly. To put it another way, if anyone did something like that on a production system for a company, I would hope they'd be fired afterwards.

csb wrote:
Get the stick out of your ass.
Maybe you should pull your head out of your own ass and start thinking about what you're doing. Now, wasn't that productive. Lets drop the clever comments in the future. Thanks.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PEBKAC, but of course most people try to shift the blame. :roll:
Oh, and I hope you have fun with Ubuntu! :wink:
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: portage hosed my system, THANKS Gentoo! Reply with quote

You're obviously very frustrated, and I've been there before. Screw frikkin Gentoo, I've had it. Lord knows there's millions of posts here with that sentiment. But what it boils down to is a lack of understanding of portage, the emerge command, and all the intricacies of the system, essentially as someone's already said, a PEBKAC (or RTFM) problem. At the risk of repeating a lot of what's already been said:-

csb wrote:
So, I apparently slacked off a bit and haven't updated my system in a while. No big deal (or so I thought) ... emerge --sync, then emerge --update world --pretend ... ok, WTF. Got a bunch of blocked packages... turns out to be the whole "lets fuck up X11" upgrade that nobody sent me the memo on.

You obviously didn't follow the directions properly. Like turning left instead of right, you'll end up somewhere you don't want to be.

csb wrote:
After Detour #1, X wouldn't run. Bunch of broken shit involved, so I figured, what the heck... I'll just continue updating my system figuring that the 175 outdated packages were probably contributing to the whole "X is borked" problem.

No no no no no! Sort out one problem at a time. Ask for help. When I was new to Gentoo I was amazed at how helpful everyone is, even with fsckwits like me. Most questions are answered within minutes. These forums are like having your own private tech support sitting in the back room, working for free without breaks.

csb wrote:
Well, emerge --update world failed for a second time... on this one, it bitched about the nvidia-glx not being available any longer.

Ok, back to the documentation... I then found out that I had to unmerge nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel, then emerge nvidia-drivers. Great, lets call this "detour #2".

Congratulations! That's the way to do it. Read the documentation. Stuff changes or it goes extinct. The devs didn't change the nvidia packages just to annoy you. There was a good reason.

csb wrote:
Then, back to theh emerge --update world ... had to resolve a few more blocked packages for whatever unknown reason.

If I see a blocked package in an emerge -u world, I always search these forums first to get some background. Mostly it's just a matter of unmerging the blocking package, but not always. Just blindly pressing on is a recipe for disaster.

csb wrote:
Then, portage decided to merge gcc 4.1.1 (up from 3.4.6) ... after which, it then failed to compile glibc.

Well great... back to the documentation. Apparently, there's some other stuff that has to be done in order to upgrade to gcc 4.1.1 ... but hell, that didn't stop portage from merging it anyway!!

Portage will install an updated gcc for you, but won't activate it. You had to do that. Did you not think to leave that for the end? You do have to do an emerge -e world after all. You don't really want to be updating stuff at the same time.

csb wrote:
... and that's the end of the sytem. My installation of Gentoo, is now officially fucked. THANKS PORTAGE! (boots sortof, no networking, can't login, dead in the water)

Not surprised really, though if you'd asked nicely you would have had it working again by now.

csb wrote:

I find searching these forums for the error message to be most informative. A message in how to fix it would be good, and I noticed with the recent Java update that's exactly what happened - a very informative message was printed telling me exactly what to do.

csb wrote:

You're swapping one package for another. Portage (rightly in my opinion) won't do that.

csb wrote:

It doesn't

csb wrote:

That's what the error messages are for. While the forums are like a friendly tech support, portage isn't. Upgrading gcc is so fundamental to the system, this will always require manual intervention, in the same way that updating the kernel does.

csb wrote:

That would be nice. But what would you do when portage has removed xmms and replaced it with audacious (to mention a current "issue")? You'd be the first to come bitching here about how portage removed your favourite music app without asking.

csb wrote:
Oddly, I've been a good advocate for gentoo over the past few years. But that all changed tonight. To be at least fair, I'll say that I've never been quite fond of portage. Seems as though it's an over engineered solution to a simple problem. BUT, for destroying my system... that takes the prize!

If you search these forums for the thread on why people use Gentoo, you'll find portage very high on the list of reasons. It's the only package manager I've managed to get to grips with. I love it. You destroyed your system, not portage.
warrens
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: portage hosed my system, THANKS Gentoo! Reply with quote

csb wrote:

So, I apparently slacked off a bit and haven't updated my system in a while. No big deal (or so I thought) ... emerge --sync, then emerge --update world --pretend ... ok, WTF.

You should have done a new install to safely update your system after a year and a half. Amongst those were changes in the tool chian itself. I have read the guides recarding upgrading gcc and other peoples experiances, and I decided that a complete reinstall was easier and less prone to troubles like you mention. emerge --update world is safe for frequent updaters, < once a month, but a real headache for those of us who update infrequently, myself about every 6 months. This is not caused by a problem with portage, but rather the nature of a fast moving target such as Linux.

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

My Bias #1
The best government is the government that governs least.
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: portage hosed my system, THANKS Gentoo! Reply with quote

tabanus wrote:
You destroyed your system, not portage.

++
I'm still to see a gentoo system beyond repair - problems happen, but if you are unwilling to learn and to heal your system, you are better off with ubuntu. There you could grumble at free will, if you buy support...
Be glad you finally walked away or you may have not lived another day."
Godsmack
Janne Pikkarainen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see lots of this kind of ranting and rarely those ranters offer any kind of solution to these problems.

True - administering Gentoo can be a bit turbulent at times.

True - recompiling your system can take a lot of time.

True - hickups does happen.

BUT look around! Get away from Gentoo for a while - I don't mean you should format your current installation, but instead try out other distributions on some spare HD / computer / virtual machine / whatever. Instead of "WOW this works OMG my Gentoo does not" reactions inspect that <insert here the name of some whizz-bang distro> underneath.

You'll probably find it's using GCC 4.x, modular X.org, the latest desktop environments, hal/dbus/ivman, all that stuff.

Now consider you've been using your beloved Gentoo for - let's say - two years without updating it much. You didn't update because you were scared of breaking something or perhaps you just didn't have a good Internet connection to play with. Then you suddenly got that chance to update your Gentoo and basically everything had changed in the mean time.

Is that Gentoo's fault? I don't think so. The Linux world has changed a lot and in my opinion this has been very busy year in the terms of software updates - PHP, Java, MySQL, gcc, glibc, you name it... they all have received some major updates. Should Gentoo have missed them and lagged behind? No. Major updates tend to break things - sometimes badly, sometimes more gently, but they break things. Stuff happens.

Instead of ranting I congratulate the Gentoo community. This distribution allows me to continue using my couple of years old installation without doing a complete upgrade to some newer version of the distro. I can update it bit by bit. And it keeps working! It's a miracle itself. Some of you might think things like gcc 3.x -> 4.x upgrade and then recompiling everything as a reinstallation, but I don't. My installed software and custom settings will stay there and I don't need to do a fresh install, or most of the time even bring the server down.

So in a nutshell: errors happen, buggy ebuilds are there, QA could need some work, but in overall I still think Gentoo is a very nice Linux distribution. Binary distros has their own advantages, but for me things like USE flags are something I'm not gonna leave behind just because of some rare oddities.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: