Audacious CPU usage
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJNII
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Audacious CPU usage Reply with quote

When playing a mp3 with Audacious the audacious process uses approx 25% of my processing capacity. XMMS uses 1.7% for the same song. Has anyone else noticed / fixed this?
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one word to describe Audacious: buggy.

Try playing a bzip2'd file -> lock up.
Try single clicking the resize spot on the playlist window, then move the mouse -> severe resizing glitch (resizes physical window size but not contents, resize spot can become unreachable)
Add 20,000 files -> Program becomes spontaneously unresponsive for minutes at a time during the course of adding files, where XMMS only blocked while it gets the initial file list

I find it hard to justify an upgrade when the program changes consist of making it prettier, taking out half of the options, adding new options that _don't work_, and adding random bugs and inconveniences. The bzip2 bug really irritated me since it was hard for me to track down what file was making it lock up when I recursively added a lot of stuff.

As far as the processor usage bug goes, try different output drivers and check any extra plugins you enabled. I hadn't noticed the CPU bug so it must be some optional component that causes it.
nenolod
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So buggy you have yet to file any bug reports.

Oh, and we're not XMMS. We're two generations removed from that.
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that Audacious != xmms and that probably a complete rewrite has been done, but being two generations removed shouldn't mean having an (arguably) inferior program. My main issue isn't that Audacious isn't as fully developed as xmms, but rather that a semi-forced upgrade is occuring, and it doesn't seem to me that there's a comparable replacement program yet. I don't file bug reports on it because I'm not particularly interested in, and don't currently use the program. Also, these were issues I found within 20 minutes of trying out the software, so I don't think developers would be unaware of them.

But, don't get me wrong, I do appreciate that the project exists, and once more of the issues are worked out, I may end up using it myself. After all, xmms is dead - no way around it. One thing I do like about Audacious is a lot of added file format support without needing external plugins - NSF handling, for example, is definitely improved over xmms. Built in unarchiving support is nice for mod files, provided it doesn't lock up the program like it does with bzip2 on my system.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: