Trying an install, having some problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boule
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Trying an install, having some problems Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to install gentoo on both my desktop and my laptop.

I booted with the live CD on my laptop, got logged into a graphical environment. From there I have the choice between using the graphical installer (which isn't that good according to what I read), or the command installer. When I run the command, it starts by asking some questions. I can also hit ctrl-alt-f1 to go into a prompt and do everything from there. So what method should I use ?

On my desktop, the live Cd could load the graphic environment, I don't know why. So I figured I'd try the minimal install and follow the handbook step by step. Everything seemed to be going fine, until I reached the config kernel step. I tried a manual config, and since it was my 1st time configuring a kernel, I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing. The handbook is pretty shallow for this section. Would it be better if I used genkernel ? I need to access some NTFS partitions (read-only is fine), would genkernel integrate the ntfs module ?

I went ahead anyway with my manually configured kernel and finished the install. When I had to restart, I got a kernel panic : "not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0)" :?. Is it fixable or do I need to restart the install ?

About the install, does it have to be done in one sitting, or can it be interrupted at some point ? If it can, how to resume later ? (a reference to the handbook steps would be much appreciated :P)

Thanks for your help...

My hardware is listed below.

Desktop:
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (Barton) @ 200x10.5=2100MHz | Asus A7N8X Deluxe | Corsair 2xCMX512-3200C2PT @ 2.5-3-3-8 | MSI GeForce FX 5600 128MB | Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 160GB SATA II | Antec NeoPower 480W | Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty | Thermaltake BigWater SE Watercooling System with Arctic Silver 5

Laptop:
DELL Latitude 120L | Intel Pentium M 740 | OCZ 2x1GB PC2-5400 | Western Digital Scorpio WD1200VE 120GB
V0rtex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, I agree that the graphical installer is not very good. Every time I've used it I got annoyed and went straight to the command prompt to do the install. I have not used the command-line installer so I can't comment on it's usefulness/effectiveness or quality. I have done a lot of installs doing the minimal/command-line method and so I can certainly give you some good pointers there.

I have found that there are sometimes parts of the install guide that aren't quite as descriptive as one would hope, but I suppose that that's where trial and error has come in helpful for myself. You may not get your first or even second attempt quite right at installing Gentoo, but I guarantee that if you stick to it you will learn the process and you will learn a lot about linux as you do so.

To help you with your kernel, here's a few tips that I would suggest:
  • The default configuration is usually not far at all from where you want it to be
  • I have found genkernel to be very difficult to get working so I recommend sticking with manual configuration
  • Write a list of the hardware (CPU type, onboard hardware and PCI cards that you have installed) including the manufacturer and model of them
    • While configuring the kernel you probably won't find all the drivers for everything at first, sometimes they are elusive. This is okay though as long as your kernel boots when you are done.
    • You don't need to get all the drivers and options into your kernel the first time you compile it because it is relatively simple to add them in later once you have a working kernel.
  • The key things to configure are the CPU type, and drivers for the filesystems you choose to use (ext3, reiserfs, etc)

To answer your question about accessing NTFS partitions, there is a far better way now than to use the built-in kernel driver. You can compile the NTFS driver into the kernel to use as a default driver, however after you have your system installed you can install a package called ntfs-3g (sys-fs/ntfs3g in portage) that will give you full read/write support for your NTFS partitions.

As far as your already compiled kernel, there are probably a lot of things that could cause that error. I would recommed to first check and make sure that you compiled in support for the filesystems you are using, especially your root filesystem. I also recommend that you actually compile these into the kernel rather than as modules because if they are modules then you have to specify extra options on the kernel line in your bootloader to make the kernel load them before booting.

Your install can be interrupted, however if you interrupt it you have to follow a number of steps to get back to where you were. Basically you have to boot the CD, follow the steps in the guide to configure networking and to 'chroot' into your installation path. Usually this is all I have had to do to get back to where I was.

These are some sites other than the forums that can help with getting things installed as well. They have both been very useful resources to me.
http://gentoo-wiki.com <-- This is a wiki full of articles and howto's for everything.
http://gentoo-portage.com <-- This is basically an easy way to look at information about packages in portage.

I hope this will help you a little.

EDIT: I didn't read your hardware list before, but just so you don't get lost trying to find sound drivers Creative hasn't yet released linux drivers for the Soundblaster X-Fi line of cards and is not planning to release them until the second quarter of 2007. I have the exact same card as you, so I happen to know this. You will want to use the onboard sound of your motherboard (I used to have the same board - you'll need the "Intel/SiS/nVidia/AMD/ALi AC97 Controller" driver for that since it has the nForce 2 chipset - located under "Device Drivers > Sound > Advanced Linux Sound Architecture > PCI devices" in your kernel config).
Boule
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help :)

I was aware of the X-Fi problem, i'm using the on-board for linux (whenever I'll be able to access it :p)

In the kernel configuration, when selecting the file systems, there are several items for a single file system. Should I select them all ?

I thought genkernel was actually the default configuration... I have some PCI cards that I don't use much: a modem and a TV tuner. Would it be a problem if I don't "deal with them" ?

Why do gentoo use a boot partition ? Other dstros don't (fedora, suse, mandrake/driva...)

How can I format the partitions ? Windows won't allow FAT32 for partitions bigger than 30 or 40 GB. The step "applying a file system to a partition" (which is basically formatting I guess) doesn't give info about FAT32. Now I know I could manage to format it using something else (knoppix or the install CD of mandrake 9.2, who has a patition step I like very much) but I'd like to know how to do it from within gentoo...

Yeah I know, lots of questions... I knew this would be challenging, but it's partly why I'm doing it 8)
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V0rtex wrote:
I would recommend to first check and make sure that you compiled in support for the filesystems you are using, especially your root filesystem.
The error you got usually shows you haven't got the high level SATA driver and/or the low level SATA chipset driver built in to your kernel. You really should compile in both the SATA and the filesystem support as V0rtex recommends. You may find some helpful hints on configuring SATA in [FAQ] KC13: I just installed a new kernel and it won't boot

Boule wrote:
In the kernel configuration, when selecting the file systems, there are several items for a single file system
What filesystem are you choosing? The usual ones are ext3 or reiserfs. For ext2/ext3
Code:
<*> Second extended fs support
[ ]   Ext2 extended attributes
[ ]   Ext2 execute in place support
<*> Ext3 journalling file system support
is probably enough to get started. For reiserfs
Code:
<*> Reiserfs support
should be enough.

You mention FAT32: if you are dual booting with Windows, a small FAT32 partition can be useful for exchanging files between Gentoo and Windows, but V0rtex recommends sys-fs/ntfs3g. Certainly a FAT32 partition as large as 30 GB doesn't seem to make much sense.

Boule wrote:
I thought genkernel was actually the default configuration... I have some PCI cards that I don't use much: a modem and a TV tuner. Would it be a problem if I don't "deal with them" ?
genkernel is usually promoted as a way to get a configured kernel without needing to know very much about kernel configuration. Leaving out these PCI cards at first would be wise.
Boule wrote:
Why do gentoo use a boot partition
You don't have to have a /boot partition. If you don't then you will have to be careful to read the installation notes for what needs to be changed as the instructions are written assuming a /boot partition.
Boule wrote:
How can I format the partitions ?
For an ext2/ext3 partition you use mkfs.ext2 or mkfs.ext3, for reiserfs you use mkfs.reiserfs. The appropriate commands are in the installation notes. Creating a filesystem on your partitions is done during the preparation part of the installation. You will also have to create a swap partition and mkswap it.
The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
Boule
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wynn wrote:
The error you got usually shows you haven't got the high level SATA driver and/or the low level SATA chipset driver built in to your kernel.

I'm installing on a Parallel ATA drive !

wynn wrote:
What filesystem are you choosing?

I'm using what gentoo recommands (or sets as default) that is ext2 and ext3. Thanks for the kernel info, just what needed !

wynn wrote:
You mention FAT32: if you are dual booting with Windows, a small FAT32 partition can be useful for exchanging files between Gentoo and Windows, but V0rtex recommends sys-fs/ntfs3g. Certainly a FAT32 partition as large as 30 GB doesn't seem to make much sense.

I was thinking of having my windows partition as NTFS (that's why I wouldn't mind read-only support), and the one where I put my documents and stuff in FAT32, and that one would be completely shared between gentoo and windows. The /home isn't going to be that big.

wynn wrote:
genkernel is usually promoted as a way to get a configured kernel without needing to know very much about kernel configuration. Leaving out these PCI cards at first would be wise.

Yeah I won't be using them any time soon anyway... Just heard about "genkernel --menuconfig all", how about that ?

wynn wrote:
For an ext2/ext3 partition you use mkfs.ext2 or mkfs.ext3, for reiserfs you use mkfs.reiserfs. The appropriate commands are in the installation notes. Creating a filesystem on your partitions is done during the preparation part of the installation. You will also have to create a swap partition and mkswap it.

I got that from the handbook... My question was more about formatting a FAT32, that's not specified in the handbook.

Thanks for all your help !
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boule wrote:
wynn wrote:
The error you got usually shows you haven't got the high level SATA driver and/or the low level SATA chipset driver built in to your kernel.
I'm installing on a Parallel ATA drive !
I saw Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 160GB SATA II and deduced ...

Boule wrote:
Just heard about "genkernel --menuconfig all", how about that ?
Yes, that allows you to configure the kernel as you wish rather than taking the genkernel default.

Boule wrote:
My question was more about formatting a FAT32, that's not specified in the handbook.
You use mkfs.msdos, there are a lot of parameters, the only important one is
Code:
-F FAT-size
       Specifies the type of file allocation tables used (12, 16 or 32 bit).  If nothing is specified, mkdosfs will automatically select between 12 and 16 bit, whatever fits better for the filesystem size.  32 bit FAT (FAT32 format) must (still) be selected explicitly if you want it.
so you will need
Code:
mkfs.msdos -F 32 /dev/hdaX
"-s sectors-per-cluster" and "-S logical-sector-size" don't appear to have defaults, you will have to check (FAT 32 should set this, I think).

mkfs.msdos is from sys-fs/dosfstools and you will have to emerge it during the installation, at the point where the installation document talks about reiserfsprogs, jfsutils and so on.
The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: