Short story on why to choose gentoo...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
occe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Short story on why to choose gentoo... Reply with quote

Hi,

Ive been using Gentoo for quite some time know, and i really enjoy it, especially the portage system that easy keeps the system up2date. Before I used SuSE, a distributions that is very user friendly, and when my brother decided to install Linux, i told him that SuSE would be the best way to start. So of i went to him with a boot cd for SuSE 8.1 and installed the system via FTP. The system was up and running pretty fast, but this is when i encountered some troubles, 1st of all, KDE and Xfree was pretty out-dated, so i thought Id just start the YOU (Yast Online Update) and install those RPMs, but they werent there. And after spending a lot of time searching, i found out that i had to download the rpms myself, and how funny could that be? with all those dependencies and finding out witch packages to choose...
Well, a couple of hours trying switches like -Uvh and -nodeps, the system just went no good at all.... :) have no idea what packages i got, and which i don't.
So, i stopped, and will install Gentoo as soon as possible instead......

And I who thought that SuSE was easy? will definately stick to Gentoo.

AMD64 3000+
Nvidia Geforce6600GT
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, for the main distributions like Suse, Redhat, and Mandrake, they usually provide "updated" RPMs to bugfix things from that release.

For example, Redhat 8 might have new versions of Xfree 4.2.1 (I'm making this up, I'm not sure what version it used), but it won't have Xfree 4.3 RPMS. Or as another example, Redhat isn't going to release their glibc, binutils, gcc with NPTL for Redhat 8.

However, when you get the new versions on cd, you can use that to upgrade your system rather than a clean installation.

There are ways to get around this (using apt4rpm and pointing your source to a new version fo the distribution for instance) or changing a file that up2date checks for version info.

Note, this has just been my experience with a few of the big RPM-based distributions, but I could be wrong (I've never used Suse).

edit: changed the word "update" to "updated". It conveys what I meant to say more accurately.

Last edited by aethyr on Fri May 02, 2003 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aethyr wrote:
As far as I know, for the main distributions like Suse, Redhat, and Mandrake, they usually provide "update" RPMs .

The update is a command...rpm -U was what it was I think. not a type of file....hope that clears up a bit of confusion.
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to really dig to find the command, and it is buried in the readme file that is in the same directory with the updated XFree86 rpms.

# rpm --nodeps --force -Uhv *.rpm

Just make darn sure that you have the necessary versions of the required libraries. (I know, what's the point of rpm if you have to check versions)

It was stuff like this that prompted me to switch from SuSE to Gentoo. Although I don't regret buying the four or five professional versions of SuSE that I have. I occasionally still find solutions to the odd problem in the manuals that came with SuSE.
krusty_ar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a quick and easy linux install you can go with gentoo or with mandrake, mandrake releases updated rpms for the main packages (such as kde).
I was able to go from kde2.1 (or 2.2) to kde 3.0 just a few days after it was released and all went fine (mandrake was 8.1 btw)
To resume, there are distros that are more "libre" that others (like mdk IMHO) and others that tend to make you buy a boxed cd or the like (like rh and specially SuSe)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: