Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Vnc with a different resolution at the remote end?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumee
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Vnc with a different resolution at the remote end? Reply with quote

Hi,
I am running a vnc server at host with X resolution set at 1280x1024, however the client has the resolution of 1024x768. Because of this vnc starts a process of higher resolution at the client which makes the desktop almost unusable. Is it possible to change the vnc's resolution to match with the client.
Also is it possible to use the same desktop X at both client and server end, like the way vnc for windows does it?
Thanks
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For resolution: check out the -geometry option of vncserver (that's for tightvnc, should be the same or similar for "normal" vnc). With X I think you cannot mirror the host display the way windows does (btw, in windows you cannot do otherwise), but you can connect with several vnc clients to the same vnc server and all share the same display, check the -shared and -noshared options for this (again, this is for tightvnc).
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that using the "fullscreen" option in vnc makes a bigger server geometry tolerable on a smaller client display (1536x1152->1280x1024). The hidden areas are displayed when the mouse is dragged to the edge of the screen (similar to virtual desktops in X); much better than scrolling up and down with scrollbars.

My command line is approx.:
Code:

vncviewer -fullscreen -bgr  -xrm 'vncviewer*grabKeyboard: true' <server>
koala
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use the Windows version of vncviewer, you can use scaling; sadly I'm checking Linux tightvnc and it doesn't seem to have this option.

Also, IIRC, there exists a mode for X which enables desktop vnc sharing, or rfb ( http://www.hexonet.de/software.en/ )
Jesse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm yeah, actually I think KDE's krfb and krdc offer scaling... so if you connect to a remote host from KDE you can scale... also krfb doesn't require you start any vnc server per se as your X session. It's automatic for you :) during a normal X startup
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: