Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Priority of cd/dvd burner and how it works?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Priority of cd/dvd burner and how it works? Reply with quote

Hello there!

I didn't know where to post this so I posted it here. My question is about cd/dvd burning software and how the priority works.
Let's say that I'm currently burning a dvd movie. Will the kernel or anything else make sure that this process won't go wrong?
I mean, let's say that I'm doing a big emerge at the same time that I'm burning a movie at 8x speed. Is there any change that the movie might
end up corrupt because of that the burner application didn't get "enough attention"? Is there some kind of priority for this?

I hope that you can understand my question, and that someone can give me an answer, as this is something that I've been worried about for a while now.
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Priority of cd/dvd burner and how it works? Reply with quote

No, you disc won't get corrupt. Almost all Oses are well designed to handle multi-tasking nowadays.

However, for some strange Nero on Windows does corrupt discs if you attempt to burn them while doing other stuff.
Corona688
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Priority of cd/dvd burner and how it works? Reply with quote

runningwithscissors wrote:
However, for some strange Nero on Windows does corrupt discs if you attempt to burn them while doing other stuff.
Windows has scheduling problems, and always has. Once in a while it just goes off into la-la land for a while, and the more you're doing, the more likely it'll do this. It's not a big deal if you're just web browsing, but if you're burning a CD, you get a coaster.

I've burned CD's on a highly loaded linux system without problems. About the only thing that could cause linux to burn a coaster on a modern machine is disk starvation, other processes gulping huge amounts of files and driving everything out of cache. Strangely enough, things like emerge --sync can do this.
Oak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. I had these exact problems 5 years ago, running Nero on Windows. It feels good to know that I don't have to worry about this any more.
Thanks for your answers!
moAlleyCat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should worry. Like Corona688 says: Don't do an emerge --sync while burning a CD.
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote some simple bash scripts quite some time ago to make burning under high load conditions possible:

http://www.metamorpher.de/files/burn-dvd-image.sh
http://www.metamorpher.de/files/burn-dvd-fly.sh

It uses nice, bfr and growisofs. nice ensures that the burning process will get enough CPU power, bfr is a software buffer which trades hard disk load with RAM usage (if you add a 128MB RAM buffer it won't matter if the hard disk can't provide data for a second or so due to load spikes). With this combination I am able to burn DVDs at full speed (although full speed in my case means only 4x) under very high load.

With the new I/O schedulers there may be even better prioritizing possible (using ionice). I have not tried that yet.

The standard growisofs is very sensitive to load because unlike cdrecord, it does not provide an internal software buffer at all. At least that was my understanding some time ago.
Oak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the answer and the scripts! I'll try them tonight.

:)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: