RTCW linux pathetic compared to windows
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starik2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: RTCW linux pathetic compared to windows Reply with quote

Native RTCW Linux v 1.41 and native Windows 1.41. I tested both in single player mode, on several different maps. Same settings (in fact, identical wolfconfig.cfg files). Same pak files shared by both.

On the same linux PC, windows version (running via Wine) has consistently TWICE the framerate than native linux version. I've taken screenshots of both and the graphic detail is identical, except windows version is somewhat brighter.

The conclusion?

The must've put sleep() calls into linux build. :roll:

This is exactly the kind of crap that gives linux a bad gaming reputation. If developers dont know how to port, they should give it to someone who does.
lumberjack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: troll post pathetic compared to real issues Reply with quote

This is exactly the kind of crap that gives trolls a bad posting reputation. If trolls dont know how to post, they should give it to someone who does.
xanas3712
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How was that trolling? Not that it was entirely useful, but how was it trolling?
Hyper_Eye
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it was trolling. At first I thought he was comparing running in Windows and running in Linux with identical configs which would have been a completely relevant comparison. But, he is actually comparing the Linux version to running in wine and that is even more relevant. The idea that the Windows version runs better under wine then the native Linux version is just pathetic. There is absolutely no reason for this whatsoever.
Darkael
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the framerate on the native version? If I remember correctly, the linux version has a framerate limit (I think it was around 80), you can raise it with some cvar variable.

But even if the linux version is indeed slower than the windows one, I fail to see how a game which is five years old is relevant to discussing the state of the art in linux gaming.
Hyper_Eye
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarnEvil wrote:
What was the framerate on the native version? If I remember correctly, the linux version has a framerate limit (I think it was around 80), you can raise it with some cvar variable.

But even if the linux version is indeed slower than the windows one, I fail to see how a game which is five years old is relevant to discussing the state of the art in linux gaming.

Because the release rate of games on Linux is much slower then it is on Windows. RTCW may be a 5 year old game but it is still popular under Linux.
Vla
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to set com_maxfps 0 (or was it sv_maxfps?) Try it out if you have not done already.
starik2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxfps is 85 by default. if i had at least 50 i wouildnt even bring this up. But, the fact is, i get anywhere from 20-35 fps on linux and windows is 80+.

Well, i guess it's time to simply throw money at the issue and kill it with the new hardware (1900 XTX). WIth that card even a handicapped linux version will fly!
tychver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What video card are you using and what drivers for each test?
starik2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the video card and drivers are irrelevant, because i am comparing native linux client vs windows client running in wine (on the _same_ linux box). Therefore they will be using the same nvidia drivers/xserver, etc. I do NOT run windows O/S.

but since you ask, it's onboard 6150 and Nvidia 8774 drivers.
Doogman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You better do some research if you are buying an ATI card and expect performance. The ATI Linux drivers aren't rumoured to be the greatest.

I'm not sure why you are seeing such a difference in performance. Back in the day when RTCW came out, there certainly wasn't that kind of difference in framerates between Win & Linux. After all, it's just based off the Q3 engine. Nowadays, with my current hardware, I just hit the framerate cap when I try wolf.
tychver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 6150 should have plenty of power to spare running RTCW. I play a fair bit of RTCW:ET on linux and I only had framerate problems when I was using a Radeon 7500 35MB. I also suspect that the port is highly unoptimised. Even with an Nvidia 5900XT RTCW:ET was unplayable on a Pentium 3 based system with 512mb of RAM. The 5900XT promptly went in my Atlon 64 2800+ based system with 1GB RAM. And can I recommend you don't get an ATI X1x00. They are very badly supported under the ATI drivers and there are currently no plans to develop an opensource driver for them, unlike anything up to an X850XT, which already has working openGL-1.0 support and the drivers are improving rapidly.
Doogman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a ton of RtCW and ET with just a Nvidia Ti4200 and it worked fine. You should be able to easily hold >60 FPS for most maps with this card or the equivilant.

Here's the only Linux vs Windows ET benchmarks I could find:

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2114

On the same hardware, the Windows ET client outperforms the native Linux ET client but not nearly as much as your are seeing. It's a old article, so it's hard to say how modern Nvidia drivers would help.

Anyway, the last Win vs Lin benchies I did were for Doom3. On my system, the difference was ~ 2 FPS.
Vla
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have a look into this. I wonder if I can reproduce this, too. Will report back later.
But isn't this a great example for the current wine development progress currently made? :P
drbenway
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my take :-

Every game that has both a Windows and Linux client version is faster in Linux on my machine - Athlon-XP 3000 - Geforce 4 ti 4200.

This includes

ET - (so much faster on Linux - much easier to shot people too !)
Quake4
Legends
Armerica's Army
Nexuiz

Weirdly Max payne and call of duty through wine is also much faster on Linux

Here are my benchmarks for Doom 3 - timedemo1 - 800x600 - medium detail.

Suse 10.1 - 32.2 fps
Gentoo - 34 fps
Kubuntu - 30.1 fps
Windows - 26.8 fps

- this is with lastest drivers (both windows and Linux)
Doogman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weird thing about starik2's post was that the window client of ET worked faster in wine than the native Linux client of ET on the same hardware. I suppose the interesting test would be to run the window's client of ET in genuine Windows and compare that with wine.

Not all Linux clients are the best, after all UT2004 runs faster in windows. Of course with that game and today's hardware it's not that a big a deal anymore.
gestah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I played a ton of RtCW and ET with just a Nvidia Ti4200 and it worked fine. You should be able to easily hold >60 FPS for most maps with this card or the equivilant.

i also can confirm that ET runs under linux with my Ti4200 with 90 FPS.
If i compare between win and linux, i have to say that ET runs better under linux.
tychver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's got to actually be something wrong there. I never had any troubles with ET on even a Radeon 7500 32MB and a 1.6GHz Duron. The linux port will interface with your system differently than when running the game through wine. As of yet we don't actually have much else other than your word for your findings either. Confirm that theres a problem with RTCW, work with the maintainers. Eliminate the runtime environment as the problem. Else, stop wasting other people's time.

*Tychver runs and puts on flame retardent suit.
drbenway
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best thing to do would be to try other games also and see if you have the same issue.

It could well be a config issue - i.e are you using AGPGART or NVAGP - AGPGART seems much faster for me .

You should also look at your kernel config options, if you have access copy over a generic config from another linux distro and compile the kernel (and install nvidia driver) and try again to see if that helps.
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get more FPS on Quake 4 then I do on Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory..
Zubzub
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenax wrote:
I get more FPS on Quake 4 then I do on Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory..

I can play Quak4-smp with smooth fps while compiling a kernel

smp ftw!
tychver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also get more FPS in Quake4 than I do in ET. ET's engine seems to have some serious flaws, We do have to bear in mind that the game was released half done.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: