View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexmgarcia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: How view JPG/PNG images on KDE? Reply with quote

Hello people,
I already searched about that, and I found that to view jpg and png images on kde I need to emerge kdegraphics with imlib flag, I did that and... I can't view imagens on jpg/png. Anyone what is the flag to use in that? I have imlib png jpeg jpg and it don't works.
I already did a emerge -e world and kde can't display jpg/pmg images. Any ideas?

Regards,
paulj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please run
Code:
emerge --info
and post the results.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How view JPG/PNG images on KDE? Reply with quote

alexmgarcia wrote:
Hello people,
I already searched about that, and I found that to view jpg and png images on kde I need to emerge kdegraphics with imlib flag, I did that and... I can't view imagens on jpg/png. Anyone what is the flag to use in that? I have imlib png jpeg jpg and it don't works.
I already did a emerge -e world and kde can't display jpg/pmg images. Any ideas?

Regards,

Define "view images".

Do you mean you cant view preview thumbnails in konqueror? Or maybe that if you click an image file the default viewer will display any error? The first can be solved by rising the file size limit to show previes, check that. In the second case, you will have to proveide a better descriptions of what is happening. What are the involved programs, what are you trying to do, any erro that might appers and such things.

Kde supports jpeg and png by default, and even tiff files if you add the right use flag to kdelibs. No need for extra stuff. The only program in kde that needs of imlib is kuickshow, I think, which is included in kdegraphics, indeed, but is a separate program that has nothing to do with the kde support for those filetypes.

Regards.
alexmgarcia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulj wrote:
Please run
Code:
emerge --info
and post the results.

Code:
Portage 2.1.2_rc1-r7 (default-linux/x86/2006.1, gcc-4.1.1, glibc-2.5-r0, 2.6.16-ck12 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.16-ck12 i686 Pentium III (Coppermine)
Gentoo Base System version 1.12.6
Last Sync: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 20:50:01 +0000
dev-java/java-config: 1.3.7, 2.0.30
dev-lang/python:     2.4.4
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r5
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.18.1
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.60
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2, 1.10
sys-devel/binutils:  2.17
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.3.14
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.22
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.17-r1
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86 ~x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=pentium3 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/gconf /etc/java-config/vms/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-march=pentium3 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig distlocks metadata-transfer sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://darkstar.ist.utl.pt/gentoo"
LANG="pt_PT"
LC_ALL="pt_PT"
LINGUAS="pt_PT pt"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --delete-after --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.europe.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 X alsa apm avahi berkdb bitmap-fonts cli coldplug cracklib crypt cups dlloader dri elibc_glibc esd fortran gdbm gif gpm hal iconv imlib input_devices_keyboard input_devices_mouse ipv6 isdnlog jpeg jpg kde kernel_linux libg++ linguas_pt linguas_pt_PT mikmod mp3 mpeg ncurses nls nptl nptlonly ogg opengl pam pcre pdf perl pic png ppds pppd python qt3 readline real reflection session spl ssl svg tcpd theora truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev unicode userland_GNU video_cards_radeon video_cards_vesa vorbis win32codecs xorg xscreensaver xv xvid zlib"
Unset:  CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LDFLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

6thpink wrote:
Define "view images".

Do you mean you cant view preview thumbnails in konqueror? Or maybe that if you click an image file the default viewer will display any error? The first can be solved by rising the file size limit to show previes, check that. In the second case, you will have to proveide a better descriptions of what is happening. What are the involved programs, what are you trying to do, any erro that might appers and such things.

Kde supports jpeg and png by default, and even tiff files if you add the right use flag to kdelibs. No need for extra stuff. The only program in kde that needs of imlib is kuickshow, I think, which is included in kdegraphics, indeed, but is a separate program that has nothing to do with the kde support for those filetypes.

Regards.

I cant view the thumbnails, and if I click on the image it shows a screen asking for a program to open "this" filetype. But if the image is BMP or SVG, I can view the thumbnail and open the image too.

Regards,
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really strange.

It should open them in kview or kuickshow, not sure what the default is. You can check the program assigned to each file type in the preference dialog of konqueror. Just go there and check what can you see.

Have you tried to open any of these files with one of the programs provided in that dialog that pops up when you click on them?

Also, you can go to preferences in konqueror, dig into that section and select the group "image", then to the right and, under left click button, select the option to use the embedded visualization if that is what you want to do. I never installed kde as a whole, so I am not sure what the default might be or what is exactly available in that installation.
alexmgarcia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6thpink wrote:
That is really strange.

It should open them in kview or kuickshow, not sure what the default is. You can check the program assigned to each file type in the preference dialog of konqueror. Just go there and check what can you see.

Have you tried to open any of these files with one of the programs provided in that dialog that pops up when you click on them?

Yes, I did, it opens the image, but it cant opens on the same program that the other images (BMP and SVG) open, and if I click on the arrow to go to the next image, it only goes to bmp and svg images on the directory.

6thpink wrote:
Also, you can go to preferences in konqueror, dig into that section and select the group "image", then to the right and, under left click button, select the option to use the embedded visualization if that is what you want to do. I never installed kde as a whole, so I am not sure what the default might be or what is exactly available in that installation.

It already has this option active but the problem persists.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, take a look at this, please, it seems that you are not alone:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-498396-highlight-kde+jpg+png.html

If the thing there does not work, you could try revdep-rebuild and see if there is something broken.
paulj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem, and it related to the profile. 2006.1 is very basic - if you have a desktop computer, the default profile is 2006.1/desktop. This includes a whole lot of use flags missing from the basic 2006.1 profile. Change to the desktop profile
Code:

eselect profile set default-linux/x86/2006.1/desktop

then run
Code:

emerge -avuDN world

To rebuild your system with the new use flags.

The previous thread related to my problem can be found at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-497485-highlight-.html

If you continue to get issues and want to rebuild the system, have a look at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-494331-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-.html
alexmgarcia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys, thanks. I'm at school, when I arrive at home I will try your tips and then I give you a feedback.

Regards,
fartgeyser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulj wrote:
I had this problem, and it related to the profile. 2006.1 is very basic - if you have a desktop computer, the default profile is 2006.1/desktop. This includes a whole lot of use flags missing from the basic 2006.1 profile. Change to the desktop profile
Code:

eselect profile set default-linux/x86/2006.1/desktop

then run
Code:

emerge -avuDN world

To rebuild your system with the new use flags.

The previous thread related to my problem can be found at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-497485-highlight-.html

If you continue to get issues and want to rebuild the system, have a look at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-494331-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-.html

I had a ton of build issues that this fixed. Thanks!
alexmgarcia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, paulj, I tried your tips and it is with the same problem :?

Regards,
paulj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear. Could you post your
Code:
emerge --info
again? It should be different this time following all the changes. I'll have a look to see if there is anything there to give us a clue where to go next. Just to confirm - you have run Guenther's script and re-compiled everything haven't you?
alexmgarcia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulj wrote:
Oh dear. Could you post your
Code:
emerge --info
again?

Code:
Portage 2.1.2_rc2-r1 (default-linux/x86/2006.1/desktop, gcc-4.1.1, glibc-2.5-r0, 2.6.16-ck12 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.16-ck12 i686 Pentium III (Coppermine)
Gentoo Base System version 1.12.6
Last Sync: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:50:01 +0000
dev-java/java-config: 1.3.7, 2.0.30
dev-lang/python:     2.4.4
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r5
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.18.1
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.61
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2, 1.10
sys-devel/binutils:  2.17
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.3.14
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.22
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.17-r1
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86 ~x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=pentium3 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/gconf /etc/java-config/vms/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-march=pentium3 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig distlocks metadata-transfer sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://darkstar.ist.utl.pt/gentoo"
LANG="pt_PT"
LC_ALL="pt_PT"
LINGUAS="pt_PT pt"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --delete-after --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.europe.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 X alsa apm arts avahi berkdb bitmap-fonts cairo cdr cli coldplug cracklib crypt cups dbus dlloader dri dvd dvdr eds elibc_glibc emboss encode esd fam firefox fortran gdbm gif gpm gstreamer gtk hal iconv imlib input_devices_keyboard input_devices_mouse ipv6 isdnlog jpeg jpg kde kernel_linux ldap libg++ linguas_pt linguas_pt_PT mad mikmod mp3 mpeg ncurses nls nptl nptlonly ogg opengl oss pam pcre pdf perl pic png ppds pppd python qt3 qt4 quicktime readline real reflection sdl session spell spl ssl svg tcpd theora truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev unicode userland_GNU video_cards_radeon video_cards_vesa vorbis win32codecs xml xorg xscreensaver xv xvid zlib"
Unset:  CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LDFLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

paulj wrote:
It should be different this time following all the changes. I'll have a look to see if there is anything there to give us a clue where to go next. Just to confirm - you have run Guenther's script and re-compiled everything haven't you?

Guenther's script?! I dont know what is this :?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: