backing up winxp parttion ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raptor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: backing up winxp parttion ? Reply with quote

hi,
I brought a computer with XP installed on it.. I shrank the windows partitions to make room for Gentoo...
Now what I want to do is to store XP-partitions on DVD and be able to repair them in the same place
(if something happens with partition to recreate them on the same place and size), and be able to boot XP.

Do you know of some how-to..
I could successfully "dd" the partitions and zip them, what I'm not sure about is how to restore the partitions-layout (dd if=/dev/hda of=file.boot size=512 count=1 , right ?) and then the partitions itself and then setup the boot loader to be able to boot this XP.

So overall I know the process, but haven't done it until now.... and I have no way to experiment....until XP got infected or something :)) and it will be too late...then..

so any HOW-TO, docs...will be good

tia
Lloeki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

recommended way for windows:
backup: dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/null
restore: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

just kidding ;)

anyway, this is not exactly a good idea to 'image' (may it be via dd or another too) your disk as a backup, because if you hd fails and you have to replace it, it's more than likely your backup will be useless.

Quote:
and then the partitions itself and then setup the boot loader to be able to boot this XP.

since you're copying the whole /dev/hda, you wouldn't even need to do that, it would be contained in the image.
raptor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: my mistake Reply with quote

Lloeki wrote:
recommended way for windows:
backup: dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/null
restore: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

just kidding ;)

Good idea ;)...but have to play games from time to time ;)
Quote:

anyway, this is not exactly a good idea to 'image' (may it be via dd or another too) your disk as a backup, because if you hd fails and you have to replace it, it's more than likely your backup will be useless.

since you're copying the whole /dev/hda, you wouldn't even need to do that, it would be contained in the image.

my bad, I will backup only one partition not the whole disk i.e. dd if=/dev/hda1 of=hda1.part
Sorry..
fangorn
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use dd, you will have to create a partition of exactly the same size to restore it. Windows is a bit picky in partition sizes, at least for the boot partition. So if you change harddisk, even to one of the same size, and the geometry of the disk changes, it is likely that your windows does not boot any more, because it would create a partition of a slightly different size on the new disk.

take a look at partimage. They claim to handle ntfs filesystems. I never tested it though, so test it before you trust it (basic rule of backup :wink: )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: