View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acid7711
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Kde icon selection Reply with quote

A long while ago, I dabbled around in Arch. While I came back to Gentoo, Arch is the only distro where KDE had this behavior. I'm wondering how to change Gentoo's to do this same thing.

Under Arch (and only Arch from my experiences) when selecting a lot of KDE icons on the desktop, sometimes you don't want to make one large box because you don't want to include a group of icons. Arch had a way that when holding down control to do multiple selections, the previously selected icons that were selected a second time would be unselected, and the previously unselected icons would be selected. This is opposed to holding down control, selecting multiple groups of icons selects all of them all the time. I find it much more work to deselect or go around the icons I don't want selected rather than selecting them a second time with the mouse and control key.

Anyone have any idea how to change this preference? I'm sure it's not difficult, but probably buried.

~Thanks! :)
paulj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a feature of the window manager used. I have both Gnome and kde here, and I can confirm that beryl, under gnome exhibits the behaviour you describe. I can't change over to kde to confirm behaviour there at the moment, as I am in the middle of compiling kde 3.5.5, but I will have a look when it finishes (currently on package 61 of 255!).

I'll let you know how I get on.
acid7711
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I've tested this on a couple of computers, in both Gentoo and Ubuntu on a friend's computer KDE acts the same, under Arch however, it acts differently for some reason. I'm stumped. :?:
paulj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emerge now on 104 out of 255!! I let you know what happens with kde after I finish. Are all the systems running the same version of kde?
acid7711
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, all KDE 3.5.5
acid7711
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on your findings? :)
paulj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE finished compiling, and I can confirm that icon selection is as you describe. I have been right through all the settings in konqueror and control centre but cannot find anything which changes the behaviour. I have also tried many different key and mouse combination, but to no avail.

Perhaps you should try asking the same question over on the kde forums? Maybe someone there will have an answer?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure at all about this, but, it could be a patched version of qt which exhibit that behaviour. Not sure, as I said.

Maybe it could be worth to check if some of those kde's are being compiled with the pertty patches or something like that. Just a thought.
acid7711
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ideas, I never thought of that thanks.
acid7711
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well I was going to ask about this under KDE forums, but I realized, maybe I'd better test it out on Gnome too. Sure enough, under Arch Gnome exhibits the same behavior. I don't have it installed on Gentoo, so maybe that's the way it's supposed to work, but I don't believe I remember it that way. It must be something else besides a KDE or QT patch set.
paulj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My messages above are not so clear. Gnome under Gentoo does exhibit the behaviour you want, but kde doesn't. As to why, I am still no clearer, but the idea from 6thpink may give you more to look at.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: