Diablo 1 in Wine
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Diablo 1 in Wine Reply with quote

Hi all,

there are already a lot of threads on Diablo and Wine, but most of them cover Diablo II and none of them solve my problem.

The game itself installs and runs just fine. However, there is a blocker: The menu where you select Single/Multiplayer, Network type, character names, difficulty levels and so on, i.e. the menu you absolutely need to create characters and actually get into a game, it does not show up. It is just a black screen. You hear the 'change menu point' sound when hitting up/down keys just fine, so the menu is there, but you can't see where you are navigating. After a lot of playing around, I managed to get into a local network multiplayer game with a Knight character called 'geerhghgh', and from there everything shows up and runs just fine. So the game itself is working in Wine.

It's just the menu that does not work, which is kinda sad, because this is a real blocker.
Did anyone else come across this problem?

I'm using Wine 0.9.25 and already fiddled around with the winecfg settings, without much success whatsoever.

Any help is highly appreciated. :D
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found out that this problem is already known on the Wine side: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2082

Seems there is nothing to be done until the developers actually fix the problem.

Although that bug report is > 1 year old already... :cry:
jeanfrancis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

Yeah, I got exactly the same problem the last time I tried Diablo 1 in Wine... but this is not so hard to "learn" the menu ;)

This time I created my perso in Windows then I loaded the game in Wine ;)
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the bug report linked in my previous reply there is a patch which kind of fixes the problem. The menu becomes visible with a lot of graphical glitches, for example you can't see properly which item is currently selected and the mouse pointer is not drawn correctly. However it is still usable, you can select the menu points using the mouse. To apply the patch, you have to modify the wine-0.9.25 ebuild slightly (download the patch, save it in files/wine-diablo.patch, add another epatch directive to the ebuild that applies it, and run ebuild wine-0.9.25.ebuild digest, all of that in an overlay).

The problem I'm working on now is IPX support. It works as root only. I don't want to run wine as root, so I'm currently trying to use libcap to give the wine process the NET_ADMIN capability (which seems to be required for IPX), i.e. give the process only this one additional capability it needs and not full root privileges.

Here's the wrapper script I'm using, not quite happy with it yet, but it works (sucap doesn't work for some reason):

/usr/local/sbin/diablo.sh
Code:

#!/bin/bash
/sbin/execcap 'cap_net_admin=eip' \
/usr/bin/wine /home/wine/.wine/drive_c/Diablo/Diablo.exe

/etc/sudoers
Code:

Defaults:wine   !env_reset
wine    localhost=/usr/local/sbin/diablo.sh

start Diablo with 'sudo /usr/local/sbin/diablo.sh'
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1