UTF-8 working almost fine [nevermind]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leo.fontenelle
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: UTF-8 working almost fine [nevermind] Reply with quote

I moved to UTF-8 a few months ago, and almost everything works fine. File system and text files content is UTF-8 by default. X11 apps work perfectly, and in CLI I am able to input non-ASCII characters like "ç", "ª" or (with dead keys) é, and much of the output is correct. The problem is: CLI error messages are in ISO 8859-1, and my terminal uses UTF-8. Example:
Code:
> man açsldfj
N�o existe a entrada açsldfj

If I redirect stderr to a file and read it with gedit, � becomes "ã" (which was expected) is the file is read as ISO 8859-1 -- but then the "ç" becomes "ç". This behavior is consistent between the virtual terminal (e.g. Ctl+Alt+F1) and gnome-terminal.

I have read and followed the relevant Gentoo documentation, and searched a lot in the forums, but didn't find the answer. Would anyone have a clue about where did I blow up?

Edit: nevermind, it seems that only "man" does that, all other console tools output fine.
Satoshi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't use ç when using UTF-8... 8O
swimmer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo,

can you tell me/us how precisely you did configure the dead keys for usage in CLI?

Thanks in advance
swimmer
Satoshi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swimmer wrote:
Leo,

can you tell me/us how precisely you did configure the dead keys for usage in CLI?

Thanks in advance
swimmer

Well, I think it has to do with loadkeys. There's some file for this, I think, but I am not sure.
leo.fontenelle
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Dead keys at console with UTF-8 Reply with quote

swimmer wrote:

I took me a lot to learn, and I discovered it by accident, searching the Gentoo discussion forums for another issue about UTF-8. I is simply a matter of setting $CONSOLETRANSLATION in /etc/conf.d/consolefont (for me, it is "8859-1_to_uni").

Please notice this is only relevant to virtual consoles, not to X terminal emulators.

Apparently the Linux kernel doesn't support UTF-8 fully, so maybe sys-apps/kbd uses $CONSOLETRANSLATION to translate characters before sending them to the kernel. I read somewhere that real consoles can't support UTF-8, and anyone using framebuffer could be using X11.
swimmer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Dead keys at console with UTF-8 Reply with quote

leo.fontenelle wrote:
It took me a lot to learn, and I discovered it by accident, searching the Gentoo discussion forums for another issue about UTF-8. I is simply a matter of setting $CONSOLETRANSLATION in /etc/conf.d/consolefont (for me, it is "8859-1_to_uni").

Please notice this is only relevant to virtual consoles, not to X terminal emulators.

Apparently the Linux kernel doesn't support UTF-8 fully, so maybe sys-apps/kbd uses $CONSOLETRANSLATION to translate characters before sending them to the kernel. I read somewhere that real consoles can't support UTF-8, and anyone using framebuffer could be using X11.

Ah ok - I have these settings at the moment:
Code:
CONSOLEFONT="ter-v12n"
CONSOLETRANSLATION="8859-1_to_uni"
But which keys are you using to get special chars?!?

Greetz
swimmer
leo.fontenelle
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Dead keys at console with UTF-8 Reply with quote

swimmer wrote:
But which keys are you using to get special chars?!?

I press ', `, ~. ^ or " and then a vowel; ~ + a becomes ã. I may also press AltGr then another key, but that's very specific on the keyboard layout; in example I press AltGr+] and get º, or AltGr+4 and get £. my keyboard layout is "br-abnt2".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: