I finally got my Digital camera recognized, how can I print
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drayco2000
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: I finally got my Digital camera recognized, how can I print Reply with quote

Photos in color? with the Gimp? or is there something better?
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GIMP is ideal for printing colour photos. AFAIR, you don't need any fancy printing packages emerged with the GIMP - the standard package includes the GIMP-print drivers. These are the best quality drivers available for Linux. Try it and come back if you have any problems.
drayco2000
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under Gimp I right clicked on the image, I was able to print, but not able to change media type or resolution. When it printed I got a blank page that simply said on the top of the page: PS-Adobe-3.0
Creator: Print plug-in V4.0.5 - 15 Jun 2001 for Gimp
drayco2000
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to try emerging net-print/gimp-print-cups, and see if that helps.
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you print, you should get a dialog showing a thumbnail of the image and its position on the paper. On the right are various settings, including one that allows you to choose your printer (or just plain PostScript for generic PostScript printers).

(I'm pretty sure you don't need gimp-print-cups for this. In fact, I think that gimp-print-cups is software that allows CUPS to use the gimp-print drivers outside of the GIMP, thereby making them available for all other applications. So it may be worth having, but it won't help solve the immediate problem.)

You didn't mention what kind of printer you are trying to print to. I wonder if you haven't selected your printer model in the GIMP's print dialog? Maybe it is just dumping the raw Adobe PostScript file to a non-postscript printer? A few more details might help.
drayco2000
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I got it to print, it is using my default setup that I used for cups. It is an Hp932c Desktop, the ppd file under setup is: lp -s -dHp932c -oraw

I can pick Media Type and Media Size and Resolution, the problem is the highest resolution allowed for this setup is 600X600. I'm pretty sure under windows, I could pick Photo Quality, I think it was around 1200X1200. I am able to print, but even on glossy paper this resolution 600X600 isn't good enough. Thanks for the help.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what would be the BEST photo quality printer then for linux and printing from gimp?

want to spend around AU$500 = US$300

also want it to have a cf reader so I can print without the pc on.

any suggestions!??
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drayco2000 wrote:
Tthe problem is the highest resolution allowed for this setup is 600X600. I'm pretty sure under windows, I could pick Photo Quality, I think it was around 1200X1200.

If the driver doesn't allow you to pick a higher resolution, then it almost certainly doesn't support a higher resolution. Take a look at Foomatic, which is the largest database of available printer drivers for Linux, and see if you can find another driver that gives you the resolution you desire. Your HP932C is listed, you'll be pleased to know. A quick glance confirms your earlier findings, and reveals some interesting new information...

As I don't have an HP printer, I can't help you further with configuration, but the references above should provide more than adequate reading material 8) Good luck.
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taskara wrote:
what would be the BEST photo quality printer then for linux and printing from gimp?

There's no definitive answer to this. Inkjets are more than capable of producing output indistinguishable from traditional chemical prints under the right conditions, unless examined with a loupe (magnifier). Graphics designers tend to favour Epsons. The new pigment-based inks are said to be very good and much more fade-resistant than Epson's old dye-based inks.

Remember paper and ink will be a major expense with inkjet printers - in fact for 6x4 prints it can work out cheaper to take a CDROM to your local photo lab. Avoid if you can printers that use 'chipped' ink cartridges, as they restrict your ability to buy 3rd party ink or refill the cartridges (but this may rule out all recent models so you may be sadly outta luck on that count).

5 or 6-colour printers are not necessarily better than 4-colour printers. The minimum dot size can be more important. Resolutions above 720dpi are just marketing hype. The difference to the naked eye is negligble. See this interesting review, and the rest of the site for that matter for a ton of very interesting reading.

The best advice I can give you is to
a) Search for reviews and read them carefully.
b) Get some sample prints. Use some of your own images if possible. The standard sample prints they give out are often very carefully optimised for the printer.
c) Check the status of the Linux driver.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey... thanks for the info, I just wasn't sure which photo printer has the best linux support :)

I'll do some more reading

ta
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: