Counter Strike 1.6 Linux Live?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelerXp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Counter Strike 1.6 Linux Live? Reply with quote

Hey, i was wondering if anyone thinks its possible to use a live version of linux and burn it with after install files of Counter strike 1.6 , and Wine, and the CS regestry from the same OS to a disk. And use it as an on the go Counter Strike Lan disk. So u can pop it into any computer and run CS. In my head there are a few problems with regestry, and extreme lag beacuse its running off the disk, and the fact that its basicly emulating the game.
But useing a non-steam client would make it a nice tool for lan partys, and schools. Anyone else think that this would work? Or that im out of my mind. if so could you help me? im new to the use of linux and live Cds.
The non-steam client is counter strike 1.6 with out the use of steam, only good for non steam servers, and LAN use. So there would never be updating.

Is there a working Live Cd Version of Gentoo that is under 411 Mb? ( the smaller the better. More Maps)
Thanks for your help. If you are intrested you can contact me at Wheeleer@gmail.com
I will make a torrent if this becomes a popular idea.
swooshOnLn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might be some custom gentoo livecd's out there, but the official ones about a full cd. What about a DVD? that will provide the extra space you need to put counterstrice, your video drives, sound drivers, and just "storage" space for extra programs you might need.

FYI, the game would pretty much be unplayable.

This is my font size, color, and signature. It will change to whatever I pick. How cool is that?
swooshOnLn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Ideas that might make it possible:

With the livecd, carry some kind of USB memory stick or such so you can set up a temp dir to store files that need to be written to (to play counterstrike, save data, etc). You can set up a script in your livecd to auto mount the usb stick, and mount your /tmp partitions or such to the stick automatically. This will probably take alot of configuration and research, for I have no idea if thats even possible, just logical. Then again, that will defeat the purpose of "portable CS" because then you have to carry and extra USB stick with you.

This is my font size, color, and signature. It will change to whatever I pick. How cool is that?
WheelerXp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've heard(and tested) that Counter Strike(all variants) run at a 1:1 ratio to Windows, sometimes even faster on Linux. If the computer had a 1 Gb+ Ram, would it push everything from liveCd and the game to ram, or continue to read off the cd? You say it would be unplayable for the fact its running off a cd? I could do it on dvd. But most of the school computer are Cd only. 1.6 Ghz 512 ram. For LAN partys the a dvd version would be better. Would u know any other way to take on this task?

i just saw this while looking for the smallest version of gentoo live cd.
http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wfdownloads/singlefile.php?cid=42&lid=197

This is a Gentoo live CD with a demo of UT2K3 and the full version of America’s Army: check the iso, boot on it and play. The “mirror” is the minimal version of the CD.
File Size: 603.68 MB

The Unreal2k3 must be at least 300mb. unreal2k4 is 554 Mb. I dont know how much AA uncompressed is.
Griswold
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To solve the performance issue, just make the cd make a ram disk when it boots up. Load the needed files into it. (eg. ~/.wine, etc.) This will also solve the write problem. Actually, might just load all of /home/<user> into it. Then when wine goes to run it no problem. Might use ~/.xinitrc to run wine/CS when you log into your user. To get you to auto-login to user, use xdm/gdm/kdm. To get those to auto load, add the init scripts to the default runlevel. This should create a chain reaction that would start up CS everytime the computer boots up. No need for any real desktop. Just X.org will do. Anyhow, good luck.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: