Startup services hang at boot, rc-services.sh
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hollywoodb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Startup services hang at boot, rc-services.sh Reply with quote

/lib/rcscripts/sh/rc-services.sh keeps hanging @ line 384, which is simply the script starting line. Its random, sometimes it'll hang on kdm, sometimes on vixie-cron, etc....

It always starts the service it is supposed to start, i.e. if it hangs at xdm service, kdm starts fine on vt7. Unfortunately the rest of the startup process stops until I kill runscript.sh, which reports that rc-services.sh was terminated at 384 and then the startup process continues until it decides to stop again.

I haven't updated anything, and this just started happening. I have no idea what's causing it.
mbjr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

If you didn't update anything, it may be a cause of improper shutdown, give a try to a fsck just in case.
Re-emerging baselayout can be the cure.

If these doesn't help, line 384 is start_service() is probably necessary to be debugged, open file, run stuff line-by-line and see where it dies - but quite not sure it's a problem with this script, but some param it gets instead.

...you say it's happening to xdm/kdm/etc, does it do anything with normal console apps, so if you rc-update del xdm default, can you boot w/o any probs?

HTH,
hollywoodb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbjr wrote:
Hi,

If you didn't update anything, it may be a cause of improper shutdown, give a try to a fsck just in case.
Re-emerging baselayout can be the cure.

If these doesn't help, line 384 is start_service() is probably necessary to be debugged, open file, run stuff line-by-line and see where it dies - but quite not sure it's a problem with this script, but some param it gets instead.

...you say it's happening to xdm/kdm/etc, does it do anything with normal console apps, so if you rc-update del xdm default, can you boot w/o any probs?

HTH,

Yeah, I looked at line 384, seems to me that if its hanging at start_service() it would be the service that's misbehaving, but I don't believe it is.... it does happen on console apps from time to time as well, such as vixie-cron. I'll throw an fsck and if that doesn't work I'll try re-emerging baselayout and report back.
hollywoodb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsck seems to have fixed it, see if the problem resurfaces.... the only error it gave was that last write time is in the future... Seems odd, as I haven't noticed any clock skew, and compiles have been fine, so I'll keep an eye on that.
hollywoodb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem persists, occasional superblock write time in the future, then KDM and vixie-cron hanging the startup scripts.
hollywoodb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hollywoodb wrote:
Problem persists, occasional superblock write time in the future, then KDM and vixie-cron hanging the startup scripts.

Fixed the superblock write time issue, I was suffering [url="https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=142850"]Bug 142850[/url]

However boot services are still hanging from time to time.... vixie-cron is the worst of the bunch, sometimes dhcpcd, dbus, also hang.... The problem is in the start scripts, vixie-cron and company are indeed starting, they even return the [ok] to the screen. 'Top' also shows them as running. However I keep needing to kill runscript.sh to get startup to continue.[/url]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: