Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
New program to Span Multiple Disks and archive files is out.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GentooMik
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: New program to Span Multiple Disks and archive files is out. Reply with quote

Edit: App need gtk1!

Hello,

A cool new program is out (did not try it yet) it seems to be in its first stages. Thus far it seems it needs more developers. See: http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php/PeaZip

It does what file-roller nor ark will do biggest desktop archiving names!

As from gnomefiles.org:
Quote:

License: LGPL
About PeaZip
Free archiving application, archive/extract: 001 (raw file split/join), 7z, 7zip sfx, Bzip2, Gzip, Pea, Tar, Z, Zip.

PeaZip is an OS-portable archiver tool (released for Windows and Linux); it supports it's native Pea archive format (featuring compression, splitting and flexible encryption and integrity check schemes) and other mainstream formats, with especial focus on handling open formats.
Full support: 001 (raw file split/join), 7z, 7zip sfx, Bzip2, Gzip, Pea, Tar, Zip;
Browse/extract-only support: Z.

PeaZip doesn't follow the Explorer-like interface paradigm; the interface is more similar to a CD/DVD-burner application, allowing the user to:
- save and restore layout of archives (input files and folders list) to speed up definition of archiving and backup operations;
- save job definition (as plain text, to be used in any script language);
- have a detailed job log after each operation;

The interface is fully skinnable (skins can be customised and saved as plain text to be re-edited as freely as possible) and uses customisable transparency.

Requirements
This application requires GTK+ version 1.2.x. Other dependencies include:
libgdk_pixbuf library

GiorgioTani
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: PeaZip 1.1 GTK2 released Reply with quote

Hi, thank you for the interest shown for my software!
I hope such a simple, ready to use application (it contains all it need, just extract and run it) may help in spreading the use of 7z format on Linux.
I just updated PeaZip project on SourceForge releasing 1.1 version, mainly an usability oriented update containing various UI improvements.
Among other things I think you may be interested to know that, due to the progressively better support of Lazarus IDE for GTK2, I released also a GTK2 version of PeaZip (tested on GTK2.8 ), that I recommend to most Linux users: forms looks better and system dialogs are IMHO much more usable than GTK1 ones.
However also a GTK1 version is available as usual and it is tested on GTK1.2.

you can see PeaZip 1.1 screenshots on SorceForge:
http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=178996
and on my website:
http://peazip.sourceforge.net/peazipgtk.html
zxy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an ebuild around somewhere?
GiorgioTani
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zxy wrote:
Is there an ebuild around somewhere?

Hi, I have not released an ebuild and I'm not aware of ebuilds of PeaZip.
On SourceForge you can find sources (written in FreePascal, for Lazarus IDE 0.9.20) for compiling PeaZip project executables for Lazarus supported targets, and pre-compiled binaries pakages PeaZip1.1_Linux_x86_GTK1.tar.bz2 and PeaZip1.1_Linux_x86_GTK2.tar.bz2, that can be just unpacked and run.
If you want to compile the sources for non-Windows target you just need to remove the package dependence of WinXP module (a package for creationg application's manifest on Windows) and choose the target native graphical library; Lazarus supports GTK1 very well and latest Lazarus release wok fine also with GTK2, if you prefer Qt or Carbon you should check support progress on Lazarus website http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/
If you are also interested in cryptography you may also consider to look in the crypto library routines (collected in "we" directory) that are developed by Wolfgang Ehrhardt http://home.netsurf.de/wolfgang.ehrhardt/index.html and released under zlib license.
If you get interested in Pea archiving format you may find full file format specifications and a bit of cryptanalisys of it in the documentation package, remember that while my code is released under LGPL, I release the file format specifications under public domain.
GiorgioTani
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, please note that the application requires libgdk_pixbuf library to run.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing ! That's exactly the app I was looking for under linux :D

I'm going to give it a try in the weekend, thanks for your work

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
GentooMik
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, good project not the developer, nor get any incentive to promote it. But it is good stuff perhaps it will replace the current default when it is ripe.
Conan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't be added to portage with a gtk-1 dependancy.

Seriously, who writes new software against gtk1, thats like releasing new games for this year for the Sega Genesis.

And it definately will not replace any defaults with a gtk1 dep.
Donman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Conan:

GiorgioTani wrote:
Quote:
I released also a GTK2 version of PeaZip (tested on GTK2.8 )

So you see that there is no hard dependency on GTK-1. I understand you might have missed where he said that, but look over it again, it is in there. 8)
GiorgioTani
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Conan
Hi, I initially released PeaZip for GTK1 being it better supported, in my IDE (Lazarus), than GTK2. However with time GTK2 support got better and I ported my project to GTK2.
I however released also a GTK1 version of the software being it very easy to do with Lazarus (simply change graphic library target for the compiler) and I think it may be appreciated on minimalistic or very resource limited systems.
I cannot also exclude that still today someone appreciate GTK1-apps minimalistic look and feel. I, in example, have both GTK installed and I still appreciate to be free to choose between the two different look and feel they bring to apps.
gentoo_lan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Program looks good, keep up the good work. Someone will have to get an ebuild for this. This should work very well with my enlightenment wm.
martin.k
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! I must say it's a fine piece of software. Works fine here on my windoze xp box - at work. But I'm going to try it on my gentoo box at home. And if you could make it speak other languages it would be fine :)
Keep up the good work :)
LRU #299256
GiorgioTani
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thank you all for the interest and positive feedback for PeaZip!
@martin.k
I'll consider about making translations for the program in a future (not jet planned), it is a good suggestion.
I'm native Italian speaker, so I'll be able to do only two language packs (English and Italian), but if and when I'll go to introduce multi-language feature I'll ask for support, hoping in positive responses from non-English speaking users.
martin.k
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GiorgioTani wrote:
I'm native Italian speaker, so I'll be able to do only two language packs (English and Italian), but if and when I'll go to introduce multi-language feature I'll ask for support, hoping in positive responses from non-English speaking users.

You may count on me with Polish translation :)
LRU #299256
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: